TRADE WARNING!

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by ozcopper, Oct 13, 2017.

1. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Active Member

A unique property of zinc is that when exposed to a strong magnetic field it actually induces an electromagnetic field in the metal itself, by itself however zinc is non magnetic. Using a magnet is a crude tool for ascertaining the quality of a noble metal, yes it can and should be used as one of a number of evaluation techniques but as a sole indicator of karat alloy purity as has been shown in this example it is unreliable.

2. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If all else is still questionable, discreet acid test.

They're relatively cheap, last for ages (except for the silver test solution, but it is what it is) and pretty damn accurate short of XRF. I will say though, that the stone that comes with most kits is either too small, or not of the best quality so buying a better one is a definite recommendation

BenKenobi likes this.
  3. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Active Member

I have a good set from AJS jewellery supplies, they have stores in most capitals and will post and you can order over the phone, all sorts of other goodies too

4. Bullion_ron

I got mine off feebay but yeah, theyre pretty readily available.

But as I said, and will reiterate, the silver test solution has a finite shelf life before it starts to lose its efficacy. But you can always just buy that on its own, or make it yourself if you can get your hands on potassium dichromate

BenKenobi likes this.
  5. Brendio

Brendio Active Member

Heed safety warnings if you are playing around with potassium dichromate. It is nasty stuff.

bordsilver and Bullion_ron like this.
  6. Bullion_ron

Yeah that's a given. But as long as you're careful and use adequate safety precautions (gloves and a respirator) you should be fine.

If you have zero knowledge or familiarity with chemistry and/or handling chemicals I wouldn't recommend it, but I just thought I would mention the option

Brendio and BenKenobi like this.
  7. Radio8tiv

Radio8tiv Active Member

Good result, and am happy with the dealings with this stacker.
    After having the item returned by a supposed reputable precious metal refiner and jewellery remodeller in Adalaide, it's good to see that reputable sellers here are better then so called "professionals"

Bullion_ron and serial like this.
  8. RichardAL

RichardAL Member Silver Stacker

Is it just me or are there a lot more dodgy looking sales threads around here - much more than there used to be????

Theox likes this.
  9. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

like?

Greg Williams and renovator like this.
  10. Stacknwmykids

Stacknwmykids New Member

Hi, just signed up as name suggest this just hobby teaching my you kids 5& 3 eldest just started school, since in pram could talk taking in person bullion dealears, teach abpit PM's, intrinsic value of commodities,history whstever vase around coins basically, totally new at it aprx 2yrs just learnt teaching them along way, not sure if good or right just thought use as another creative tool/teaching method, kids love collecting and this way intriduce many diff srea crossiver teach build/store wealth, 5 yr old already knows chemsymb/atom# Ag,Au, Pd,Pt, tell what way in "troy oz" then took tagent to homer trojen war (though aware nothing to do with standardization toy ounce) but yeah creative kids enquistivness is what drives on and slowly accumulatin nice collection each mostly 1oz Ag single low income family but thought cant hurt? Read lots usefull stuff on here but we only interested fair trade and i orefercwhere possible in personnas this biggest reinforcer of amount "money" theyed saved need exchange for just 1oz Ag... if anyone else introduced to kids or any advice much appreciated. Or interested in sellimgbor trading small lots we got some Australian/NZ,isle mann etc just random 1oz dealers had have started get few fractional all capsuals looked after well but now lookin small low premium lots variation like pre/post aust teach other aspects like 925 etc N

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    mythar likes this.
  11. SilverSloth

SilverSloth New Member

I'm interested in selling here, avoid ebay charges, but how, as a day 1 member, can I safely sell and build a reputation. I'm happy to do face-to-face sales (in north sydney so may have a few buyers around me), but other than that aren't I just posting silver and hoping for the best? Is Paypal the most common payment method used? How do I know a long term member has a good reputation? I'm obviously missing something about how selling works on this forum, as I lots of sales. Is there a sticky I'm missing with some basic advice around options to sellers and buyers around established practice to make selling or buying safer it would go a long way taking the risk.

@ozcopper

kiona likes this.
  12. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Active Member

I suggest you use the search function of the forum, these questions have been asked and answered many times before....... Research.

13. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The date someone joined doesn't mean much at all

Click on a users name and then you will see "Trader History" and that will show you how many trades a person has done on this forum - click onto that to read the actual comments and see positive/negative

As for selling, Face to Face is certainly an option, but chances are you'll need to post as everyone isn't nearby, and nobody is going to pay you first at the moment so you would need to post first and then wait for payment once received. That's where using the Trader History helps - you can feel confident shipping first to active members with a proven track record of positive trades, and if someone only has a few trades as history, then you have every right to decline to post first

Each trade you do, make sure feedback is left for yourself, then after a few trades and positive feedback you will eventually be able to be paid first before sending

It's always a good idea to make a few purchases here, not just sell, so you get a mix of trade feedback and quickly start to build trust

Horrie, swoydaz, argento and 5 others like this.
  14. SilverSloth

SilverSloth New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time, Trader History was what I was missing in the equation, and I will keep an eye on good deals to buy as well. Thanks again for the advice.

Theox and GF like this.
  15. Theox

Theox Member

Hope this is the right place to post:
    After purchasing a substantially priced coin and paying straight away from a member named Trying2Save, it has taking nearly 4 mths to receive the item after a lot of time and effort calling, txting, reporting, send letters of demand legal advice and so on and so on.
    If you want to avoid the grief do not deal with
    Mat Cook or Natasha Moore from Qld.

I was not alone, they have done this to several members at the middle to end of last year 2018.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  16. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Theox likes this.
  17. mrsilverservice

mrsilverservice Well-Known Member

Just a reminder.

With Gold being well over the 2011 record at $2011.00 as I write there is more to gain for any potential thief :mad: so exercise a little more caution than usual trading in any open market :)

Remember that thieves never go on holidays :eek:

boneyard, barneyrubble, PM and 2 others like this.
  18. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The date someone joined definately matters to me its not a comprehensive subjective valuation but it goes a long way.
    Most have done their time amicably building solid reputations and meeting members of what was once a smaller community.
    The old timers were solid didnt fvk u around and paid or posted on time.
    Their descrptions matched their product and their reputation was everything.
    Thats no reflection on new members, due diligence is everything.
    REDBACK

GF, Boyscout, Pendragon and 15 others like this.
  19. Damon

Damon Member

black5wan likes this.
  20. Sulty

Sulty Member

Agree Redback.
    Is there a moderator that can help resolve issues perhaps? Although it shouldnt be necessary.
    I have been sold some significantly toned coins by Revlis who is currently selling a lot of items.
    He diddnt provide a propper photo in the first place but assured me that the coins were in excellent condition. I admit I should have not taken the risk.
    He now claims the pictures of the damaged roll i sent him is of a different roll i must have had hanging around and claims i am 'scamming' him.
    I am relatively new here and want to build a reputation as a seller as well as a good buyer. Unfortunately any negative feedback i give to Revils will surely come back my way.
    I nothings perfect, and this is still a much better way to buy and sell when compared to feebay, and the community for the most part is excellent.
    Just my two cents worth.
    Sulty