Trade Dispute Resolutions - input sought

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by goldpelican, Apr 22, 2015.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I'm looking at putting together a sticky along the lines of a "Guide to trade dispute resolutions and recourse". From time to time trades do go bad on here - usually non-F2F trades along the lines of unreceived items, that may or may not have been shipped.

This thread is an input thread for suggestions to be made from members - part community expectations, part recourse.

Examples of community expectations might be whether losses are the buyers, sellers or shared risk, when mitigating circumstances might alter this (e.g. postal truck fire versus someone not using an agreed postage method, or poor packaging causing partial loss in transit).

Examples of recourse might be processes for dealing with non-responsive sellers or losses, do they include insurance, small claims, or police involvement for fraud/theft.

Right now this is at the early stages - so seeking lots of input that will help craft a guide that can be referenced before trades are entered into, and used as a guide for trades that don't go smooth.

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

GP I'd suggest a 'gold standard' example of trades.

... and so on. Big traders here probably have a lot more suggestions but I hope this helps as a start.

3. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

I would agree with all of the above but suggest that "first in best dressed" applies unless otherwise specified in original post.

4. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe some members with exceptional trade histories and a bit of extra time on their hands could assist by becoming something like 'trading peers' assisting members settle simple disputes before needing to overwhelm Admins with complaints.

I would think there would be a lot of disputes that can just be settled by proper communication.

As the site grows and more people get into stacking the volume of disputes will only increase.

5. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Agree first buzz or PM by time stamp is the winner UNLESS the seller has stated otherwise.

Also in the event of a dispute Pm contact must first be attempted BEFORE naming shaming and starting a thread.

6. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Whatever the guidelines there is also going to be someone that is a thief that will take advantage.

When people are genuine and honest, they will always find a way of working things out. People here have accommodated me and I have gone to sometimes great lengths to accommodate others. For me honesty and being genuine count above everything else.

I'm all for having guidelines though.

It's the thieves out there that I have a problem with, that kind of thing make me furious. I really really dislike thieves.

7. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

I think one upside to having trading guidlines is it will be easier to weed out anyone who is skating on the edge of being misleading.

I definateley think that there needs to be a clause in their that if you make a claim it must be able to be substantiated.

For example if your going to say an item is 'very rare' at least have one reputable source to back it up. Even if it is that none have sold on Ebay in the last 5 years, if you don't have evidence then don't make a claim about what your selling.

8. s_mocko

s_mocko New Member

I think that an id and proof of address should be provided before any money is transferred. That way if they are fake stacks or run with your money you know who it is and can serve them in court. I am all for anonymity but there can be a lot of money at stake and you would have no way of recourse without.

Thoughts?

9. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What if they provide a fake ID?

10. Currawong

Currawong Member Silver Stacker

I think if a seller sets out all the rules of the auction in their first post, lists payment methods, postage method, auction rules (when an item is being sold via auction) and buyers who post the same in their WTB posts (preferred postage, etc) and any deviations from stated rules are agreed upon first (either publicly or in PM) then it should be ok.
    If everything is upfront and in the open right from the start it should help minimise any possible issues.
    But a good sticky outlying everything for new members like myself would be a fantastic idea and I like the mediation idea Tozak mentioned. Some members may feel uncomfortable involving themselves in other peoples disputes though so it should be agreed upon by both parties to seek outside mediation and a list (in the sticky?) provided of established members willing to aid as dispute mediators posted.

11. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Don't give them any ideas. To a certain points.

12. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

So far no one have ask. Guess a Silence Understanding.

13. s_mocko

s_mocko New Member

Than an escrow? You can come up with a hundred what ifs. Why should the buyer take 100% of the risk?

14. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Currently trying to resolve something here with a fellow stacker who has not replied after raising issues with him.

Hmmm... I hope it works out.

15. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Protection from retaliating negative feedback. When one party has a justified reason for leaving negative feedback, they should be protected from the other party from receiving negative feedback out of spite.

16. SpacePete

I think GP or another admin can remove the negative feedback in that case?

17. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They can and have, but it can take time to resolve and imo plays a part in people being reluctant to leave negative feedback.

18. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10oz bars at 20 paces.

19. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Or 20oz bars at 10 paces?

20. SpacePete

Monopolize has a sales thread at the moment with some suitable items: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-67497-fs-bison-bullion-hand-poured-silver.html

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/10425_rps20150903_212304_701.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/10425_rps20150903_212440_121.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

Or maybe just chuck one of these:

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/10425_rps20150903_213010_603.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]