Tracking the 2012 1oz Silver Dragon Secondary Market

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Apollo, Sep 2, 2011.

1. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think he is using his spot prognosticating abilities and can see some whip saw action comming?

2. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Wow... Just Wow!!!
    That's pretty underhanded!

3. SilverSale

SilverSale Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm still a little concerned why there are a couple of people with their knickers in a knot.

The going rate for a 1oz dragon coin is currently about ~$200 on ebay.

Yes, I advertised a whole box of 100 dragons on ebay for $20,500 to see the response.

Yes, I offered them to silverStackers members for less.

What is the big deal?

Get a grip people.

If you managed to pick up a roll direct from the mint for much cheaper, congratulations!

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I'm a little concerned how you don't see what you did was poor form.

5. SilverSale

SilverSale Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry fishball, I'll make sure I offer them to you 'personally' cheaper next time....

Best of luck to those still searching for their $50 dragons. That is all from me on this topic.

Peace is better than having an aneurysm.

6. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

You are entitled to set your price and make offer to anyone you see fit.

However, the customers are also entitled to respond back the way they see fit.

This is just a norm of the trade, eventually something will give, either your price will go down or customer will accept your price.

Nothing unusual. If you think you got it bad, you should have seen what everyone was saying about perth mint when we realised the allocation was mostly for overseas dealers.

You are in public space, everyone is entitled to their opinion, just like you are entitled to freely set expectations of your pricing. As long as everything is relatively civil, then no harm done I guess.

On another note, if you do a search on feebay for the following topic: 2012 1oz silver dragon you will see the price average around 150.

Still very high, and still making me scractch my head really hard.

7. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Given you can buy them @ an renowned international bullion dealer for $A68 each plus post, some of these prices are pretty wild.

8. Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey Active Member

Wild... (This is my personal feelings on it all and not directed at any stacker on here personally or directly)
    yes i agree, no justification for those prices, it's an ounce of silver, yes they are nice and collectable so the premium on them deserves to go up but I personally think that $150-$200 a coin is a Bu#@s*!T figure, just pulled out of the air to test the waters and try and make coin from naive people who don't know any better,hence I won't enter into those prices.
    Each to their own and not trying to take aim at anyone directly, just my personal outlook on the whole situation.
    On this forum though I reckon we should all have enough respect for each other to not try and pull that stuff on one another.
    Testing the waters = having a lend..
    Stackers have had a two week start on the rest of the open market world wide and it seems that we are the ones trying to set the price rather than letting the price set itself once the coins are all out from USA & EUROPE..
    Whatever... I love the dragons, hope everyone out there manages to get hold of some and at justifiable prices relating to their metal content/size /mintage and appropriate premium as already set by the perth mint plus a little more for the private seller.
    I think $70 currently is a fair price per ounce + postage cost's. (that already has a very reasonable mark up from original purchase prices and current spot value as well, the mintage value should kick in more so when they eventually have all gone from the dealerships later on-worldwide)
    Yes yes y'all....
    :/

9. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Seriously people its a market based economy, prices to high go elsewhere. Don't like the offer... don't take it. I hope everyone who sell their dragons sells them for more then me. Good luck everyone with you sales I wish you well :) .. viva la dragon hype

10. au_ag_miner

au_ag_miner Member

While the 1oz dragon remains key date for the series, my guess would be that for more than $100 for 1oz, it may renew interest for collectors switch their interest to 2oz. Having said that, the 2oz Mouse II is currently asking higher than the Dragon II :p

11. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

With the number hitting ebay now compared to even a few days ago - I think we'll see the prices start to drop within the fortnight as people realise there is enough to go around and some of the auctions see less competition and prices achieved start to ease.

I think some of the ridiculousness of the situation is highlighted by the price difference in the buy it now adverts. A quick search at the moment shows for 20 X 1oz dragons prices of $3150 and $4300. The disparity shows that the market price hasn't been established yet and we are in a mania phase (IMHO).

malachii

12. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

We are in mania, at $200. This thing is worth more than S1 Dragon.

Apmex has S1 dragon for usd 180+shipping+gst = ~200.

S2 dragon worth more than S1 dragon? Makes no sense.

13. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

It is possible that the S2 can be worth more than the S1. Simply there is more demand for it. This doesn't have to be mania (I'm not saying it isn't mania either).

Consider that the popularity of metals has increased significantly from 1999 when the first S1 lunar was minted. Many people (collectors) may have started stacking/collecting recently (in the last 2 years) and may have been able to get all of the current lunar series (maybe a roll of 10 or 20). To continue this collection of sets the key coin in the series must be obtained at pretty much any price (this is the dragon).

These collectors would most likely not be interested in the series 1 coins as every single coin in the series is $80 or more and to buy rolls of 10 or 20 of every coin is nearly impossible. Personally, I wouldn't know where to start looking. The S1 < 200,000 mintage compared to 300,000 for S2 means very little to these people - and personally I believe it means little in general. If the S1 had a mintage of 5,000 this would be a different story but it is by no means a rarity

I believe we will see this again in 12 months time and then again in 12 months after that. I just hope everyone here will be prepared for it next time so we can avoid all of the threads about the Perth Mint and the Snake Price.

Getting all of the different view points does make interesting reading though I suppose.

14. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

The numistmatic value of S1 is higher, millenium dragon. The next one is ... I don't know when, you have to wait at least another millenium to find out.

The only way 2012 dragon will be more valuable: apocalypse.

15. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

I used the "s" word once, and I was quickly corrected by members of this forum - when you deliberately purchase a coin with the intent of selling it at a higher price later, thanks to limited mintages and the fact that millions want one, the term is "investing". :lol:

16. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Something is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it. At the end of the day it really is more valuable anyway. I couldn't get a series 1 for less than $120. I think on the bay (the only place you can really find them) they usually go $140.

While series 2 are showing up at $200 is anyone here actually going to pay that. Going price at the moment is $90 a coin delivered.

17. ELECTRICK

ELECTRICK Member

Can anyone tell me the European coin dealer who is selling the 1 oz

18. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

silber corner or something.

But still pretty expensive.

19. ELECTRICK

ELECTRICK Member

20. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Let's see now, there are 300,000 of these 1oz coins and about 5 have sold on feebay for $200 or similar. So you are saying the remaining 299,995 1oz coins out there are now valued at $200? Gimmie a break. A couple of overpriced sales doesnt change the average value.