TPP Dirty Deals - Selling out Australia

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by ozcopper, Apr 13, 2015.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Who would have thought that the blue team is so very quiet on the TPP...Well I suppose it does take some time to read the 6000 odd pages..Most people won't bother.. Neither will I. I will have to wait for some informed opinion from the likes of Clinton, Sanders, Keiser and Schiff or from Robb,Turnbull and the Koch brothers.

Regards Errol 43

2. errol43

Wikileaks reveal horror of TPP...check it out on Utube..Obama trying to fast track the TPP. Why?

Meanwhile here in Australia, Minister Robb says that people opposing the TPP ARE HYSTERICAL.

I KNOW WHO IS HYSTERICAL AND IT ISN'T ME.

Regards Errol 43

3. errol43

CanadA PAYS THE PRICE FOR signing the NFTA agreement with the USA...all because of the ISDS clause...Quebec pays huge compensation for refusing to all fracking under the St Lawrence River.

The Netherlands and the USA protect their business interest by having the ISDS clause in a lot of their business dealings.

Check it out on Top Documentary films (business section).

Yet here is PM Turnbull advising American Congress to pass the TPP.

Does anyone know if the ISDS is included in the TPP...^)6000 pages. ?

Regards Errol 43

4. errol43

UK parliament debates their TTIP deal...similar to Our TPP deal. At least the politicians of the UK are having a fair dinkum debate about the trade deal.

Many of them are finding out that it is just not a trade deal removing tarifs but rather a scheme that gives absolute power to corporations and banks to do business their way.

I cannot believe that this TPP will be the law here in Australia...

What a backward country will my poor country become if the weak MP's fail to protect us.

Regards Errol 43

5. Agnostic

Agnostic Active Member Silver Stacker

Errol, thanks for continuing to discuss these details of the TPP. It certainly is not getting much mainstream coverage apart from endorsements. Cheers, Agnostic

6. errol43

Gone through one house in the US only the congress to go.

Regards Errol 43

7. errol43

The TPP hasn't become law yet the USA consumers are feeling the pain of the NAFTA trade deal and the rulings of the WTO..

It is now against the law to state on any meat where it has been sourced..Seems like US corporations have bought up cattle properties in Canada AND PIG FARMS in Mexico and can now sell the meat products with no description of where they originated.

This type of marketing will become the norm if the TPP becomes law. I don't think that the Australian consumers or producers will like this very much..

At present, in two major supermarkets, the fruit and seafoods have signs indicating where they come from.

IMO,The TPP is not a free trade agreement but rather a corporate trade deal.

You have been warned, this will not be good for Australia and its people.

Regards Errol 43

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do you have a source for that errol?

No pun intended.

9. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. mmm....shiney!

Doesn't look like fact though as there is nothing there that says labeling country of origin as being illegal, which was my query. Just a sensible ruling that country of origin labeling doesn't have to be mandatory.

11. JulieW

The "libertarian" vs "public good" tension arises again.

I examine every label and don't buy any but Australian or EU produce since they have regulations that allow one to choose clean food, and even then one needs a little global knowledge to exclude purchasing dirty food or supporting morally reprehensible practices.

12. mmm....shiney!

If there is enough consumer demand, and there is a profit to be made by the producers, then country of origin labels would be included on a product even if there was no mandated legislation.

The issue has nothing to do with "libertarianism" v "the public good".

13. JulieW

Maybe not, but your posts constantly do.

I've been paying attention to labelling for 40 years. I was fed chocolate milk with carcinogenic flavouring. Consumers can't demand what they don't know about, so it will be interesting to see how the roll-back of point of origin/ingredients labelling happens won't it.

14. mmm....shiney!

No, you brought up the "libertarianism" v "public good" debate. I was just talking economics.

As a producer, if I see a market advantage in labeling my products with a country of origin then I would do it. The upside of this is that I would profit AND the consumer would profit. It doesn't need mandated legislation.

If you are a consumer, putting stuff in your body, then it is your responsibility to find out what stuff you are stuffing yourself with and the producers responsibility to provide that information if requested.

15. errol43

Google wto labelling of meats..

OR.....https://www.wto.org/english/tratop-e/disp-e/cases-e/ds384-e.htm

I haves seen two american women from different food regulation organizations on a RT talking about the implications for American consumers. :)

mmm.shiney I surf the net every night for hrs trying to seperate the shit from the chocolate. :)

Seems like they passed it through the Congress ON THE ASS END OF A DEFENCE BILL. Now I wonder who would have done that...

Regards Errol 43

16. mmm....shiney!

I did a quick search, doesn't give me much info to run with. Seems it is a decision based upon a technicality, particularly foods of mixed origins.

Without understanding the topic properly, I would say the decision means that sellers do not have to label foodstuffs with a country of origin if they choose not to. Which is absolutely fine by me - let the consumer decide, not some suit in a government office in Washington, or worse, some lobbyist and Senator out for a $500 dinner together at a swanky restaurant.

Still can't find anything that says country of origin labels are outlawed.

Edit to add: this seemed the most sensible news report I found when I googled the topic briefly http://www.reuters.com/article/us-trade-usa-canada-mexico-idUSBRE85S0Y920120629

17. errol43

Will do a research tonight to pinpoint the two women from the USA TALKING ABOUT THE IMPLICATIONS about the food packaging . The WTO is the one restricting the labeling of meat products.

Regards Errol 43

18. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

But is it not in a merchants best interests to identify (at a bare minimum on request) the origin of a meat? If a consumer asks the question of where say the bacon is from is the merchant obliged to give an accurate and honest answer?

19. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Hell, we already don't even need to specify the animal (or which part) we are calling "meat"

In the future the only thing on the label will be a brand name/logo and a naked model. Ingredients will be deemed "proprietary information" (unless marketable such as the electrolytes in Brawndo, the thirst mutilator).
    If you run around exposing the secret that Soylent Green is people or Slurm made is from anal secretions from the Wormulon Queen, you'll end up being sued beyond bankruptcy and then forfeit your freedom to work off the debt in a prison camp (and the freedom of any offspring until it is paid)..

20. mmm....shiney!

Exactly.

If there is demand from consumers then producers will adopt a voluntary code of labeling in order to maintain market advantage. Labels are an advertising tool designed to attract consumers, if a consumer is seeking information then some producers will realise this and label their products accordingly. Conversely, there will be those consumers who don't care and will be more than willing to buy unlabelled or products labelled with nude women if it saves them money or provides them with a product that they demand. The point of the WTO ruling was that producers shouldn't be forced into labeling the origin of their product if they choose not to.

The bottom line is that if consumers are not happy with such rulings then the simple solution is to not buy the product, there will always be another manufacturer willing to use a label that states the origin of their produce.