Toyota Gone in 2017!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Lovey80, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Heard the head of the the automotive industry parts manufacturing association on PM tonight talking about his 30,000+ workers in the parts supply chain that are going to be hunting jobs soon. Asked how many would be left under the cover of the association after 2017, he said none. The whole industry is annihilated.

And it should have happened a long time ago, with the very first moral hazard created by a request for a handout.

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hehe. Not my sentiment... just appeared in my inbox. Thought I'd just share.

If anything I'm glad the govt. Didn't bail them out. Or SPC for that matter.

Hopefully we're about to enter an experiment in (although somewhat) limited libertarianism which hopefully will payoff in the longrun for us all.

4. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

from Pickering,

"They had assured us of their cooperation, so we determined to all pull together in a desperate attempt keep the company viable.

"There was an air of camaraderie, a feeling of hope.

"It was Australia Day that week and it fell on a Thursday. On the Friday thirty percent of our workforce didn't turn up, thirty percent called in sick.

"That's when I finally realised we were stuffed."

Let 'em starve!

5. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Recession time.

6. Shaddam IV

Huge Japanese company. Union just made a Japanese company lose Face. Japanese company teaches unions not to mess with a tiger.

7. Old Codger

"A recession is when your neighbour loses his job, a depression is when you lose YOUR job".

Well done Toyota 'workers'.

OC

8. Old Codger

#26,

I am simply amazed, no wonder Australia is STUFFED!

OC

9. Shaddam IV

I am actually stunned at the folly of the union and dismayed that the workers chose to follow them, the union must have spun a convincing fantasy to the workers indeed. They had already seen what happened to Ford and Holden. They had no chips whatsoever on the table to bargain with. Toyota had already said that it appeared that there was no good reason to keep manufacturing here under current conditions and that identical cars could be built elsewhere for half to two thirds the cost. They asked for some concessions from staff and instead of considering this the union publicly slapped Toyota in the face. What on earth did they think would happen?

10. The Road Home

The Road Home Member

My theory is Government let this happen to demonize the union monument overall. After the Royal commission into their affairs provides the 'common view' we all know, this will present the catalyst to destroy the union sector completely. Once all Resistance will have been removed they can introduce with ease whatever they like. Initially it will be the removal of penalty rates. Business will be the main beneficiary here and again the little person will get screwed en masse.

11. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

They also still make the Royal Enfield motorbikes... I really want one! (trying one for the first time in April on a road trip in Nepal :p)

12. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So Australia is losing all of its industry and our dollar rockets up... crazy world we live in.

13. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

but they have mortgages!

14. Shaddam IV

Neither party could have stopped this. Australia is not competitive as a car maker and no amount of additional funding will change that. Both parties knew two years that the 3 car makers would close no matter what. One party chose to keep throwing taxpayer money at big corporations and the other did not.

Abbot would not let the industry die on his watch if he knew that he could save it, it does him no good politically to be the PM of a country with massive job losses.

15. The Road Home

The Road Home Member

The car industry has been uncompetitive for many years now, it didn't happen last week as you know. The only difference now is the government has drawn a line in the sand with regards to more money been thrown at the problem. I still believe that this industry has been sacrificed to further their agenda. In number terms the people involved are relativity small. Once wage constraints are put in place the unions will effectively be null and void, then further reforms will take place bringing down the middle class. The Liberal party stands for big business.

16. Shaddam IV

I keep hearing people say this mantra, yet this liberal government has stood up to General Motors, Toyota and Coca Cola Amatil in their first months of office and denied them any more public money. Hardly standing for big business.

On the other hand we have the ALP. It is literally owned and operated by big business and blatantly serves the interest of several very large Australian corporations and places the interests of those corporations above the National interest. Labor is owned and operated by the CFMEU, AWU, HSU and other large businesses in the Union industry. The only reason that Labor has enough funds to continue to operate as a political party is due to donations from these large businesses and they are currently doing all that they can to hide corporate corruption and embezzlement and intimidation and violence by these large companies that they serve.

So who stands for big business?

17. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Strange the aussie dollar hits 90 cents after such big news.

Whilst there's a heap of non-skilled casual workers in that lot,
    many toyota workers are highly skilled so I don't think finding a job in 4 years time will me much of an issue.

If they can rip the guts out of the american car industry, then letting a foreign manufacturer go back home
    isn't such a big deal.

Times are changing and the 50k people affected just need to move on, into something else.

Country towns all around australia could really use skilled people, with younger generations moving to the city for an education,
    there's almost a generation gap of skilled people, when the oldies retire, who's gonna pick up where they left off?
    those guys with 50+ years of knowledge and no-one interested in listening, learning and passing it on.

anyway, so these 50k people losing their jobs and probably taking a nice package, should go bush with their million or so
    and do something productive instead of whinging for the next four years.

18. Shaddam IV

Do you think that they will have 4 years? I would suspect that Like Ford Toyota will start scaling back well before that and shedding it's work force so that by 2017 they will be on skeleton staff and have already reduced their assets here.

19. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep that's how i took it. By 2017 it will be closed, but they will start scaling back soon. So maybe a lot will only have 2 years to find something new. Very stressful if you have a big mortgage, but hey that's life. They should be thankful they all had it amazingly good for so long.

I don't see why its now up to the government to fork out money to help them find new jobs.

20. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Whoa I think a little bit of wee just came out.... Credit Crunch did you just write that? I can't believe that complete sense just came from you.