Touchy feely Bullion V's Encapsulated Numi's

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dynoman, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

A question entered my mind today. Why would you collect PM bullion?

OK, now there's the intrinsic value, the potential for fiat growth etc. Then why do people collect Numi's? OK, there's the intrinsic value, the collector value, the same potential for fiat growth. Immm, then something is missing. Is it the touchy feely factor you get from holding a silver bar in your hand, that almost sexual pleasure you derive from a 10oz skin to PM metal contact experience? Go to the safe, explore the sensation of fondling your much loved stack.

Aside from the numismatic factor, I'm thinking then that this is the major difference, the downside of owning something of intrinsic value yet it's sadly always covered in a protective synthetic material.

A simple analogy for another physical activity perhaps?

I don't have any naked silver bars, maybe I should indulge?

[​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have both. I handle my PMs without pause, with the exception on the 24k Gold as it's VERY soft and prone to dings (plus, it's encased).

But silver I handle no worries and have a mix of encapsulated and loose coins/bars/fractional silver.

But if we're discussing why stock Perth Mint product?

It's not specifically because of any quality concern, but rather an availability one. I have absolutely no problems stocking something my QSB, First Majestic or other independent mints (which for my money do product that's even better than PM, especially when it comes to bars) but getting hold of the stuff in Australia - and at a competitive price - is extremely difficult.

3. Silver is Money

Silver is Money Member Silver Stacker

For me initially it was purely an investment decision, then after a while it became a little addictive as there's definitely the "pleasure factor" of holding a nice shiney coin in your hands. I'm now going through the process of polishing all my old junk silver coins so they look shiney (damn you Auspm :D). This is why when you have a choice between coins of equal value, most will take the one the looks the nicest.

But in general, I think this is only secondary to the main reason most people stack silver, which is to store and preserve wealth.

Having said all this, there have been the odd occasion when I've indulged myself and bought a silver coin, not because I needed it, but simply because it looked nice. :D

4. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Psychology of marketing these products for both catagories.

Some people are "touchy feely" people.
    Notice how you ask them hey have a look at this!!! and they just have to touch it! (to look at it)

Then you get "visual" people.
    Ask them the same question and they will just look and admire without touching and get just as much pleasure.

5. greyman68

greyman68 New Member

I agree with Silver is Money, if you can't touch it you don't own it

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

you can 'touch' with eyes too...

One a pleasure for the hand, the other for the eye.

Discl. speaking about bullion and numi

7. gin-kin

gin-kin New Member

I buy bullion mainly because it's purchased at a price that is closer to it's intrinsic value.
    I'm of the mind that numi coins are over valued - kinda like real estate now - ie you're paying a premium based on looks and special features.
    This premium will prolly be lost in a flash for real estate int he future - so i reckon it could happen with the collector value of numi silver also.

I am a touchy feely person also.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

You can`t touch it if it is buried in your back yard.:lol: