Today was my first detecting (with miners den)

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Sa_bogan, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

I thought i would share my thoughts as i had posted awhile ago about i was going to attend there class.

There was quite a turn out and i would say some pretty good weather for it too. The guys who run it were really nice and helpful and i was able to rent one of there minelab gx5000.
    They got me and my mate all set up and showed me how to use the basic settings and sent me on my way. It was about 40 minutes in that i realised that i had small metal bits on my shoes that were giving me false readings lol.
    After that i had a few good hits and started to dig, as i started one of the staff came over and gave me some tips on how to narrow the area down and find the target.
    First find was just a small shard of metal, then the next was a .22 shell casing. Then every time i had a beep it was just bits of rusted sheet metal.
    I ended up having a good time, getting a bit sunburnt as i forgot to bring it and the want to go out and try again.

I rate the miners den and would recommend them if you have never done it before and want to use some awesome detectors. Now all thats left to do is save my money for a good detector

2. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for sharing. Bummer you didnt find any gold, but good that you got value from the day. :)

Just on metal bits on footwear... the bigger the search coil you use the more interference you will get from metal on or in your footwear.

Steel capped boots are the worst offenders. Other types of boots dont have a steel cap but have a metal last in them. These can be a problem.

Small eyelets on footwear are generally not too bad, but can still give false readings if you sweep the coil too close to your feet.

3. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

This is in old SA gold fields is it?

Bill