Today I Bought...

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by bloomst, Apr 24, 2013.

1. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

To be fair the marks could be due to handling at my local sorting/post office as delivery was repeated with me not being home the first time, I just expected better from a carded coin as 2 of the 4 coins have dark smudges around the perimeter of the coins, hard to tell if its the plastic capsule. Overall the detail is nice quality just the 2 dark marks are noticeable with the naked eye on 2 of them though they are both still sealed in plastic film wrappers + card/capsule.

Luckily enough 2 were for a work colleague though I have now left said works place so he may not collect which is easier for me as I wont have to explain the marks even though both packets are still sealed not that I think he would notice but I feel obliged to point this out.

Methinks the local jeweler may look at me a little blank if I try an sell them though I expect the same vacant looks in the local off license if I try an buy beer or suchlike with them even though they are legal tender. Not decided quiet what to do with them yet as am still waiting on the colleague I bought them for.

It does make one wonder why there is a 10 pieces per household limit on purchases though, anyone would think the royal munter is strapped for silver!!

2. klacey

klacey New Member

I to think this is weird, but never questioned it. I believe when they first came out the limit was 3, could be wrong.

3. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Isn't Bank Adelaide has merge with Bendigo Bank? Or someone re-birth the name after the acquisition?

4. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

5. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Today I bought a $10 state coin with a difference. I have been stacking $10 state/territories for some years..

All of them have been in the U/C envelopes or the proof ones in boxes( some with the COA's)

However the $10 ACT coin I bought today comes in a capsule enclosed by a small blue cardboard box with a peep hole to display the coin on both sides.

Now here is the interesting part. It comes with a brochure from the Macquarie Mint. Inside was another information sheet about the states of Australia. On this page it had a specifications section, which stated the following.

Alloy. .999 fine silver
    Weight. 20 grams
    Diameter. 34MM
    Value. $10

Another strange twist.It came with a tax Invoice for Macquarie mint for Australian States.Date of invoice 04.03.11

Unit price $89.95 inc GST.. Postage $6.

ship to G ... K..... Mar........

Any clues, $10 state coin stackers.

Regards Errol 43

Now would you believe the price paid when I have just paid $13.

6. silver addict

silver addict Active Member Silver Stacker

today i received a couple of 5 0z horses and a 10 oz horse along with a couple of 2 oz freedom girls, along with a few more coins

[​IMG]

cheers s . a .

7. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

Well, been a long day.. Sigh..

Spent 90 minutes on a train traveling surrounded by lovely young women despite my grey hair and 'Designer Stubble' so I had at least some 'Nice female Scenery' to admire despite the countryside flying by out the window, methinks I must look 'cosmopolitan' as opposed to desirable. Arrived in an unfamiliar city to visit my 'Merchant'. Almost got lost on the way back after 2 hours of weighing and verifying coins.

Aforementioned Merchant had a job lot of 50 or so coins for sale, I investigated said coins and unfortunately had to 'assault' several fine silver coins with nasty acid to verify genuine 'Gold Plated and Colourised walking Liberty' silver dollars and UK issue Britannia coins as there have been some fakes about so being unable to 'Chance it' out came the acid. Just sorted through the lot and found I now have a nice little collection of assorted silver oddments that I have payed a good bit below spot price for. Merchant also asked if Palladium was a precious metal as he had previously refused to purchase it..... :lol: we need a proper :ROFL: for merchants like this.. He also complained about 'Dodgy silver ingots' which he told me he got stung with, Caveat Emptor Methinks..

Total purchased:

3x year 2006 Uncirculated Britannias 0.950% silver, now acid stained :S (100k mintage) There are fake Britannias about :mad:

5x Walking Liberty Dollar coins 4 of which I felt it necessary to vandalise with aqua regia once again, the 5th one is a 1986 version just a grade or two below 'Brilliant un-circulated' which is still nice and clean.

13x 0.925% coins making one '2006 Maundy Silver proof Set' slightly toned/tarnished but with definite numismatic/historical value totaling about 86 gram. 15k mintage iirc.

13x 28+ gram 0.925%, various origin silver proofs some with gold plated highlights. Pretty but not my cup of tea.

2x Bronze possibly Cupro - nickel (Unsure) UK 5 shilling crowns one of which is a rather nice Benedetto Pistrucci George and Dragon dated 1951 - George VI and a 40mm Diameter, this is just lovely but not really rare afaik, 2nd coin is 1953 with lions and harp design which is nice too, keepers despite only being copper.

The rest is a handful of Queen lizzy Cupro nickel/gold plated tat from various places. The whole lot is encapsulated but no certificates unfortunately as most would certainly have been retail sold with them.. Really need top get some pics.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You are right, I bought my three coin limit and just received an email saying there was a ten coin per household limit. I did end up buying another seven. I really thought they would be sold out by now, they went on sale in October didn't they?

Anyway they have been sent to my UK address so I will have to get them forwarded on.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Speaking of Mint related sneakyness, have you seen one of the latest offerings from The Royal Canadian Mint?

[​IMG]looks similar to [​IMG]

But not as good

10. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

colored eyes look ugly

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

07 10oz kook.low mintage and nice looking coin :)

13. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

2x 1 oz Solomon islands 999 silver coins for less than half spot price! WOOT!

14. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

$8 (what it says on the back) + tiger food + 1 oz silver bar with no shadow :|
    [​IMG]

15. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Well I bought them last week on ebay but they arrived today: two 2013 silver Britannias. The kicker? They were sold to me as regular coins but they both have the snake privy mark on them! Pretty cool :)

16. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

A few pics of recent purchases:

1987 Proof Sovereign :p
    [​IMG]
    NICE [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Maundy coin set/Silver proof

[​IMG]
    Festival of Britain Bronze 5 shillings, Benedetto's finest, lovely coin just not rare, one of my favourites atm

Not the easiest things to photograph are coins, least they stay still unlike some of my other photographic subjects!!

17. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Picked this up today, but sadly not for me :( A gift for a new born baby.

[​IMG]

19. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Even better! Congrats!

20. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker