Tipping point from West to rest just passed

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Ouch, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

I highlighted what I thought was the most interesting point in the whole article. I remember reading the same thing many years ago (also in the SMH) although I can't be sure if it was also written by Peter Hartcher then and from time to time tried to re-find that 1st article that I read. Good to see it being raised again here.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...-west-to-rest-just-passed-20120416-1x3pa.html

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Which was when the western world pillaged it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Opium_War
    Anyone notice any similarities with the cocaine trade, USA and history

Imagine if this was in your country's history a hundred and fifty years ago - or your parents and grandparents watched the invasion and degradation of your country, if you are a revered senior party official.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Opium_War

3. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Congratulations to those countries, good to see their populations climbing out of the 'poor' status and enjoying better living standards and opportunities for their children.
    Maybe now there is no need for politicians to blow their own horns by handing out sums of foreign aid if the country receiving it is well capable of standing on their own two feet.

4. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

Foreign aid is to grease the wheels of international trade, keep the pipeline of cheap resources/labour open and maintain compliant foreign governments that will protect the donor nation's interests. That's what I believe foregin aid is for anyway.

5. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

The Chinese business machine is an awesome spectacle. I don't see a history of that level of organisation in, say, India, that would enable that country to move forward in leaps and bounds in a China-style fashion. Is capitalism bringing these poorer countries more stable governments, and their citizens greater access to the education needed to participate in these industries? Will countries with long histories of social unrest, famine and civil wars stop all of that, educate everyone and move forward economically? This is going to take a fricking hell of a long time for many of them. All wide sweeping generalisations, I know.