Time to Short appl?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by thatguy, Mar 23, 2012.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

2. badhammy

badhammy Member Silver Stacker

I pulled the trigger at 600 on the 15th March and this was the second time Apple has been good to my family.

The problem I see with the company going forward is that it is fast becoming a cash cow rather than shooting star, with more reliance on regenerations of the iPhone http://seekingalpha.com/article/451541-the-chink-in-apple-s-armor than becoming a game changer (IMHO I don't believe Apple TV version 2 will be a global success).

A few columnists on SeekingAlpha have a five year target of 1K+ but you would have to ask yourself: Apple is no longer a niche/cool brand that iOS geeks had dominion over, it is now a global brand utilised by ALL consumers, so how do they maintain their ten steps ahead of the likes of Samsung and Google?

....Although if you read Walter Isaacson's bio of Steve Jobs carefully, I wouldn't want to bet against Jobs' NOT leaving behind a Five year plan for the company

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

4. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

I was wondering if there was a thread about this stock on here... I like the search engine.

It looks like the peak of the bubble to me, i.e. the new paradigm stage, as you say thatguy. Especially as the public at large are now very much aware of this stock and the Tech Sector generally.

I, sadly, think this is going to end as a repeat of the dot com fiasco?

Once the Facebook IPO is out of the way in May'ish, the institutional investors will pull their money leaving the losses to the public... again.

The madness behind my reasoning:-

Apple, Microsoft, facebook are all sitting on huge piles of cash. What's the best thing they can think of doing with it? R&D?... nope

Facebook bought Instagram for $1bn; 13 employee's, a web application that does nothing special...
    Apple's idea is for a share buyback and divi (a sure sign they're devoid of new ideas)
    Microsoft... ummm... nothing??

This is looking like a Bubble.

5. Trichter

Trichter Member

I think they're still waiting for small investors to pile in, looking at the low volumes. Once they've attracted a few more people sitting in cash they can palm off the empty bags. Maybe the northern summer will see big falls.

6. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

Quite possibly... ive also read alot of statements posing Apple as the 1st, trillion dollar company, and with shares reaching the $1000 range by 2014.
    Also that there will be another massive escalation with iphone 5 is released.

7. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/green-aapl-red-aapl
    Green AAPL Turns Red - Loses 1 Sony!
    Bump

8. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

src: http://www.news.com.au/business/com...iral-accelerates/story-fnda1bsz-1226531117050

9. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Everyone at work who has an iPhone, the screen is broken. Their quality is terrible! Myself and a group of friends has Samsungs and HTC's and will never go back to Apple for anything but itunes.