TIMBER stacking

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Water&Food, May 26, 2012.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

haha

forest fire

can reduce a timber king to a prisoner :(

2. Franko

Franko Member Silver Stacker

Also guilty of being a timber stacker.
    Mainly have jarrah beams, have used some of the smaller stuff around the house.
    But going to hold onto the rest for a rainy day.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

My father has an old bus parked on the farm that looks like that inside... he has a severe back injury though and wouldn't have stood at the lathe in probably ten years, haven't looked at the condition of the timber for a long time.

4. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

As long as it has not gotten wet and stayed that way to the point of rotting it should be fine. You could have some real treasures in there!

5. silversardine

silversardine Member

Even a mono-culture of native tress is not good. In WA jarrah forests there have been attempts (and sadly many successful) to reduce areas to monocultures by poisoning the other large native tree. And it is the oldest trees that give most to the ecosystem rathern than the small ones, in terms of animal and bird habitats. Everything from seed dispersal to animal populatons is affected by this type of action. Ecology - the study of consequences.

6. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Absolutely. Try Red Cedar. When grown in clumps, it would appear to be a bigger target for the red cedar moth. When grown "naturally" ie dispersed amongst other natives, it would appear to be less of a target.

7. Sultan Pepper

Sultan Pepper Member

Wait until property hits rock bottom, buy cheap acreage, Plant as many trees as possible, in 30 years time when they increase the carbon tax 10 fold you've got all the carbon credits you'll need and more, sell em off to the big companies $$$$.

If not, let the loggers come in for $$$ or just make a kick arse tree house to live out your days in your own personal fern gully!

8. Ghost

Ghost Member Silver Stacker

I hid my timber stack in the fire place but my missus lit it up...

9. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Until the greenies go slap TPOs all over your property and your lovely plantation gets appropriated for the greater good :(

10. Sultan Pepper

Sultan Pepper Member

Tree fairy's will take care of the greens.

11. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

All I can say is that we have to fight to protect, preserve, and restore what's left of the great forests. Without proper stewardship we'll be losing a lot more than the trees. :(

12. Rubbing Elbows

Rubbing Elbows Active Member

THE price of sandalwood has gone up to $15,000 a tonne, causing a surge in illegal harvesting in Western Australia......more Here

13. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

anyone know whether bellbowrie tea tree is worth anything?

14. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

How did I miss this thread?

i'm looking at putting in a tree plantation. Finding that there are some species that stock will not eat or destroy so it's possible to plant them straight into paddocks without protection and continue to utilize the country for grazing.

Stocking rates would be slightly reduced but the stock get the benefit of shelter from the trees and the pastures also benefit from reduced wind speed and frost protection.

Stock for cashflow/income+ timber harvest after 20 years + 20 years capital growth on the land sounds like a pretty good proposition to me.

C

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

16. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Reminds me of a line from Lord of War:

African Warload: "We can pay you in timber...or in stones." (diamonds are scattered on tabletop)
    Ukrainian Arms Dealer: "I don't think the tree trunks will fit in my hand luggage, so I'll take the stones." (eagerly scoops up diamonds)

17. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I met a married pair of timber industry workers back years ago. They had just finished the first stage (planting and immediate early sapling survival) of a mixed blackwood and white-wood Eucalyptus plantation. The plan was to thin off the white-wood softwood timbers twice over about 40 years leaving, hopefully, sawmill quality hardwood blackwood grown tall amongst the soft timbers and in sufficient volume for their grandchildren.

No exaggeration, this was an investment for 2 generations away. They knew the qualities of blackwood as a timber in demand for cabinetmakers and know how low the stocks of it are.

If I had the land and the nous I'd love to have timber as an investment. Good luck to anyone with timber as an investment.

18. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Great thread :)

My personal favourite timber is Silky Oak :p
    An aunt and uncle of mine used to live in Stanthorpe in Qld and had a house in town that was built in the 20's/30's
    Its was like a normal weather board Queenslander on the outside, but on the inside, all the VJ walls were solid Silky Oak and had a beautiful dark patina to them.
    I thought this may have been a one off house in the area until last year, my better half and I went down there to visit an old watchmaker and low and behold, he lived in a brick/stucko house with Silky Oak VJ walls. I think back in that era Silky Oak must have been a very popular local timber and used in nearly everything until it was wiped out. I see more and more S/O trees about now but very rarely you see the big old ones.
    In the recent bad weather we have had in Qld I have kept an eye out for any old S/O that could not stand up to the wind, but I am still looking :/

19. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

Really Beautiful timber - when I was making furniture that was pretty much all I used :)

One downside is not everyone can handle it - some people can be allergic to it and never get to appreciate working with it (they can only get to touch it after it's been worked and sealed)

20. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Silky Oak is stunning

Something worth far more to me than my silver (excluding my great Grandfathers silver fobwatch) is a Silky Oak chair that my Nan bought for her mother out of her first paycheck, another is a beautifull rosewood cabinet that my Dad made using timber my great uncle had stored since prior to WW2.

The Silky Oak chair was second hand when Nan bought it in the early 1900's so I have no idea of it's true age, it is a thing of true beauty.