TIMBER stacking

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Water&Food, May 26, 2012.

1. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

What is the sentiment of the SS community about stacking trees? :rolleyes:

I like the idea of PRICKLY PEARS - high tollerance of drought, no maintance, little water, good for additional security around the home/caravan, nice to look at when digging a thorn out of your foot

In all seriousness, my limited understanding without resorting to google is; though trees are being re-planted they are NOT normally hardwoods, but rather softwoods. So, the genius in me yells - STACK HARDWOOD fool
    Hmmm

Whether lumbered or planted trees. I suppose each is susceptible to deterioration.
    I can see it becoming illegal to chop down your own trees (thanks carbon tax). So, perhaps stacking timber would be a better bet.

ePinions For and Against people

Thanks

2. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Plenty of people looking for old wood houses (particularly queenslanders or ex government built houses) being relocated/destructed to make way for some fancy concrete structure. Entire floors made from the likes of Blackbean are worth their weight in gold (figure of speech). Try buying the stuff and one quickly realises how hard it is to source quality sawn hard wood timber. Worth stacking if one has the warehouse/storage space.

3. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I got 5 truck loads of cedar I'm sitting on, ran half my totally clear boards through the planer today they're gorgeous. I got a steal of a deal and have enough clear boards to make tonnes of furniture. And a bunch of tight knot for decking fences, and siding. If I had more space I'd have bought way more. The only downside is drying it takes forever.
    If you have hard wood trees or logs they're worth a bloody fortune. People don't replant hard wood because it takes to long to grow and reharvest.

4. footycard

footycard New Member

you have enough things to stack that don't produce anything but potential wealth, silver.

so to stack timber would be quite a useless speculation as it would have to be somewhere, undercover long term so that in itself wouldn't be viable would it?

But a piece of land, with trees growing that can produce reasonably good wood, and at the same time produce food, which could feed you or also become an income flow, once trees are established they generally require little resources appart from what the get naturally.

so olive trees would be my number 1.
    really good wood, olives for food and trade.
    then anything else, like persimmon, great fruit and a member of the ebony family, nice timber.
    and on it goes.

That's what I call stacking timber, it has to pay yearly dividends otherwise you may aswell just stack more silver.

btw, prickly pear is a cactus, not a tree ;)

5. lucky luke

There's good reason red cedar timber is called "red gold". It is indeed (and always has been) one of the most sort after furniture timbers. Sounds like you did well.

6. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

You should see the clear yellow that I got for .50 a 2x6 board foot! I'm already gonna make a dining room table out of 4x12 slabs and 4x4 legs , a bed frame, a desk for the mrs. and a book shelf. We just built a new house and have almost no furniture and being a finishing carpenter I figure if I can get it cheap I'll stack as much as the mrs. Will let me. If I don't use it myself I'll sell it to a client. I'd love to have more timbers growing on my lot but really ion my part of the world quality lumber is abundant and cheap.

7. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

footycard you my fav troll lately... i agree 100% stackin olive trees is w0ot!!!!

thanks for top tree suggesstion

oh no prickly opears are like mini trees out in ridge :(

8. lucky luke

9. dross

dross Active Member

Pigeon Pea is worth looking into for the reason below:

This 2 metre shrub is widely cultivated throughout the world in tropical and semi-tropical regions. Grown mainly as a biennial as productivity declines after the third year.

This shrub will grow on into a tree, lasting for about 12 years.

Pigeon Pea is an important grain legume crop of rain-fed agriculture in the semi-arid tropics.

A hardy legume which is improves the soil with nitrogen fixation.

Pigeon Pea is fast growing and makes a excellent windbreak.

The leaves can be used for stock feed and poultry fodder.

Pigeon Pea's are very drought resistant and will grow under poor soil conditions.

The peas can be eaten as a green vegetable pea, dried pea or as a flour. The dried peas can also be sprouted briefly, then cooked.

Pigeon Pea is used to make dhal an Indian and Pakistani spicy stew. The pea is stripped of it's outer hulls and split, boiled in water with turmeric and salt. Then fried spices are added.

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bamboo all the way!

seedling to first harvest in 4 years, good for 15 years of harvesting

Used for food, clothing, furniture, flooring and construction.

Pest resistant, moderately eco friendly.

Farmed in parts of Asia and South America with % returns so high (>700%) I don't believe them.

Simple to preserve, easy to store, fun for all the family.

11. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Trees are hard to make money from (me thinks). You would need to plant a lot, and would ideally need to be near a lumber mill - otherwise the costs of transporting the logs would be quite dear.

12. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Timber Stacking! W&F, thanks for starting this thread. Although GP may put an end to it sooner than later. I guess it is a form of stacking. :)
    I got into "stacking" wood several years ago and have accumulated quite a bit.
    If you are a woodworker then it is quite a pleasure to be able to create an item out of a piece of wood that you know exactly where it came from rather than buying it from a lumber yard.

From gathering your logs, then transporting them to a saw mill, then air dry for 1" thickness per year(2" for 2 years and so on) then surfacing the wood just to get to a usable dimension is time consuming and a lot of work. But the rewards are worth the effort.
    If you have the time then not only have you saved yourself money but you have something unique for your own use and to sell if you can find the right market.

This is several years worth of collecting.
    [​IMG]

Here are samples of 13 different species.
    [​IMG]

A mirror frame I made utilizing the natural edge of Eastern Red Cedar.
    [​IMG]

A coffee table with natural edge that also serves as a display case for "silver" and other nick nacks.
    [​IMG]

Boxes and bowls for trinkets and silver coins.
    [​IMG]
    I've been toying with the idea of making a display case for coins.

13. Trichter

Trichter Member

was discussed in a different thread a while back. Indian sandelwood is grown in WA's northwest. Too soon to say how successful it will be. A seedling costs $4 when it goes in the ground and a full grown tree is worth about $5000 at harvest after 15 years. Sounds pretty promising. Mainly a good good tax prospect for the megarich though apparently.

14. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

I work in a hardwood sawmill that my parents own.
    We get our logs from private property. We take the bigger trees and leave the smaller ones to grow so that we can go back and log there again in 5-10 years. Logging private property has completely different rules to the forestry though who can just totally clear a place and not have to worry about the consequences.

15. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

I invested 90k into the TFS Kunnunurra plantation and in recent times they have offered to buy it back but I declined.
    I believe that there first havers exceded even there expectations.

16. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

In 1997 a mate of mine was considering buying land for his kids and planting Red Cedar/mahogany on it. At the time he said 25year old trees were worth $1m an acre and the buyer did the felling.

17. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

I am meeting more and more people chasing good fire wood on my gullivar travels :|

18. lucky luke

Then it might be worthwhile stacking good old Gidgee (Acacia cambagei). Burns forever and very hot at that. :)

19. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

@ Ladybird. Thanks for the compliments :) The sample your asking about is hickory that has spalted. Spalting is created by fungi that has moved in after the tree dies. It is basically the first signs of decomposition and can create beautiful designs in wood.
    As far as "green" goes all the logs I have acquired and had milled through the years have come from trees that have been blown down by wind or cut down by other people and discarded. I've never cut down a live tree just to turn into lumber. I'm very much into nature and conservation. In my neck of the woods there are a lot of trees and many are wasted.

20. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

There are so many interesting people here! Love it.