thinking about getting gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by schmidtyss, Feb 22, 2011.

1. wooferdog

wooferdog New Member

+3

I'm on a tight budget, but I try to stack a 1/10 gold coin per month. Premium sucks, but the coins are pretty :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

How much was that to buy?

3. argent_pur

argent_pur New Member

52 x 31.1 = $1617/oz. For that size, you got a pretty good deal and 1/10 coins have a similar premium. Although I've never heard of Leach and Garner---I agree with those who say to save up for 1/10 oz. gov't mint coins as they will be more liquid when you go to re-sell;)

4. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

well here are some photos of the bar i just got today ...had to use a lupe in front of my cellphone camera its so small

5. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

front [​IMG]
    Source: [​IMG] back
    Source: . there is a lil dent on it though mostly due to circulatin no doubt...on the right side of the "d" is where the dent is....i live in rhode island and i found out that the company was based rather close to me and used to do bullion some years ago...but they are no longer around....kinda cool

6. Guest

Guest Guest

7. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

o wow thats frigging awesome ...makes me want to get at least 2 more grams now hmm what are the next lil bars i should get before moving to the 1/10th oz coins any suggestions

8. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Ag traitors ! The all of you !

9. argent_pur

argent_pur New Member

If you're thinking about getting that air-tite container (which is a great idea I think-- +1 auspm) APMEX and sunshine minting are recognized names in gold bullion and they don't come in those blister-packed certificates if I recall. That Leach & Garner bar looks really nice...does that say founded 1899?

If you ever want gram bars in the sealed certificates, Perth Mint and PAMP Suisse are great names, readily available, and the bars are beautiful! Congrats on converting fiat into the best money in history!

10. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

yup it says founded in 1899 ive never heard of the company..if anyone can find any info on them would be awesome to know what there about.. i was acually debating about some apmex gold i just hate there shipping fees (15 bucks plus what ever there fees are.) and then you have to spend a 50 dollar minimum.. i would LOVE to have pamp or credit suisse but when its in the bubble pack its like a extra 10 more dollars per gram

11. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

i almost traded 2oz's to get another gram of gold that trip :D

12. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Damn - that's a handsome bar. Personally if you can score that Air-Tite case that Auspm linked I'd be gunning for two more of them.

Suggestions for 1/10ths? Seeing as you are in the US then I'd be buying American Gold Eagle. Don't stress to much about the premiums because you should be able to sell them with the premium attached. I also like to think of the premium this way (not my original thinking....) "Spot is the wholesale price and you should pay as close as this as possible BUT the premium is the retail charge you pay for the minting of the coin"

13. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

thanks nugget if i could find them i would but i prob have the last one in new england lol i was also debating about a vial full gold nuggets from monarch precious metals for roughly the same price but i think ill just get a few more lil bars then switch back to silver ....damn gold bug bites harder than silver...probably because its harder to get

14. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

IMHO I'd steer well clear of those vials. Stick with refined gold :)

15. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

Sorry to hijack but Im really new at gold and still pretty new with silver but I bought a 20 swiss franc is that as desireable as .999 gold?

16. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Highly recognised coin internationally. What I've seen of the US gold market you can get foreign coins like this at lower premiums than local produce like pre-33 gold or modern gold eagles - so if you're banking on a large increase in the price of gold, they do provide a way of maximising your ounces with their lower premiums.

Gold eagles are probably the most recognised form of gold there though if you're concerned about liquidity.

17. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

Thanks Goldpelican. I think by the time I get rid of my gold even school children will know what its worth and it couldnt be more liquid.

And I would like to say cheers on getting the gram bar of gold, look out now your gonna get more.

and this advice may not be good for everyones temperment but Ive been telling myself: "Its time to stop thinking, and start making moves"

18. Comper100

Comper100 Member

I just got my first lot of Gold in the form of Krugerrands. I didn't realise how copper looking they were, until I discovered there 8.33% copper. Makes them great for durability though.

19. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

yea this is true stay with something well known and labled as such

20. argent_pur

argent_pur New Member

Schmidty, I don't know if you've heard of Bullion Direct or not, but they are perfect for stackers on a budget! A very reputable US company (based in Austin, TX), I've done ALOT of business with them. Their business model basically allows people to buy 1oz. or 1,000ozs. whatever they can afford and place it in an account. You can add (or sell) as often as you want and take physical delivery whenever you want so you're not getting raped by high shipping charges every single time you make a purchase. They have a decent variety, although nowhere near APMEX's inventory.

They even have 1 gram gold bars and a few of the more recognized 1/10 oz. gold coins. Go to bulliondirect.com and check it out.

P.S. I don't work for them:)