Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by honey stacker, Jan 16, 2013.

1. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

After reading non-recourses RE thread (which is excellent) I started reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. It's a great book, and it's not just about getting rich, or at least not just getting rich financially. This was written 80 years ago and is still current, this is a link to a free copy which you have to sign up to get, http://think-and-grow-rich-ebook.com/ It has started me in a more positive direction, something I knew but forgot.

Great book!

2. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

I read this book 30 years ago and I re-read it about every 5 years. It was one of the foundation principles that we built on. It should be on every property investors book shelf.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I read it after N.R's thread and it resonated with me.

I now have a label maker sticker on the sun visor of my car where its easily seen (so I continually have this mantra in the front of my mind;

"In exchange for my pay I will give my employer my very best efforts for the full day and always strive to over deliver."

Its changed my life... i'm keen to get to work & have more energy & drive than ever before in my working career.

4. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

There's a LOT of weird crap in that book. And between you, me and the letterbox, the employer owes us more than money for our efforts. Unfortunately, money is often all they can offer.

I mean it was by sheer luck that humans thought it was beneficial to introduce 'hard labour' and lock up the food much less than 10,000 years ago- especially seeing as though the ways they did it for millions of years before that served them well and promoted survival and biodiversity for the whole time before the new 'Taker' way took over... wiping out everything and everyone who didn't want to participate in that way of life.

Napoleon Hill either by accident or otherwise is another person advocating to keep the people enslaved.

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I fixed it for ya

"In exchange for my pay I will give my employer my very best efforts for the full day and always strive to over deliver." until i have enough money to tell him to stick it up his butt & work for myself

6. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

I bought this book as a result of NR's thread.

I have not yet got around to reading it.

I read the first few pages and it sounded a lot like 'the secret'.

I still plan to read it though.

7. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks like someone else has/is reading "Ishmael" ?

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Read it many years ago - good book

just about every recent 'self help' type of book just rehashes the same ideas from Think and Grow Rich

.... never really got chapter 11 though - sex transmutation - wtf ?

9. Clawhammer

We had a few tradies "leave us" on Friday with a similar viewpoint.

Being convicted of "Stealing as a Servant" is going to make make future employment prospects incredibly narrow for them.

10. Clawhammer

It's about channeling your sexual energy into productive effort (like work)

It's cryptic, because it was written in an era when talking about s.e.x. was considered taboo.

When you consider how people spoke about the subject during the time he wrote the book (euphamisms and inuendo), it's actually pretty 'racey' :)

11. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

Can you explain please? (Being convicted of "Stealing as a Servant" is going to make make future employment prospects incredibly narrow for them.) :/

12. Clawhammer

*They thought the company owed them more for their labour.
    *They decided to rectify this by falsifying timesheets, creating false invoices and selling company property without permission.
    *We picked up the pay & invoicing irregularities (and missing stock in a stocktake).
    *The police located the company's property from their backyards, garages and at the businesses of their mates who they used on the false invoices.
    *The police are going to be charging them with stealing as a servant, which will be picked up at a pre-employment criminal history check.
    * Who's going to employ someone with that on their record?

13. Clawhammer

What he's advocating is that it's your dreams that will make you rich, not your paychecks. Reno's correction of my work mantra is a perfect example.... use your employer as a stepping stone to your dreams. Enslavement is about work with no reward or escape. Hill is saying to look at work as a way to your freedom.... pls , no auswich gate photos :)

The inspiration of the book was from a Tramp that became a millionaire by getting a job with Thommas Eddison and leapfrogging to greater personal heights using the company's influence, connections and resources to not only make the company more successful but himself personally too.

Eddison was so impressed with this guy's effort that he was given more and more company resources and pay. He wasn't any smarter than anyone else at Eddison (remember this was the company whom employed the smartest people in the world) he just gave it his all. There was no way he could've done it on his own.... he needed the company.

Napoleon Hill advocates seeing your employment as a symbiotic reationship, not as one of enslavement or as parasite and host.

This book's not for everyone... it's only meant for people with clear dreams and ambition that are looking for a guide on how to realise them.

14. Henry Wartooth

Henry Wartooth New Member

Just downloaded it from

http://archive.org/details/Think_and_Grow_Rich

First thing I saw in the contents list was "sex transmutation" lol

15. Willow

Willow New Member