Thermal coal demand

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, Oct 30, 2020.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's not going to go away quickly.

https://www.australianmining.com.au/news/asian-thermal-coal-demand-to-reach-a-billion-tonnes-a-year/

sgbuyer likes this.
  2. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, that's what I'm telling the folks at work who are calling the death of King Coal.

That article does seems a tad confused. Starts out advising on need for Aust to adapt to emissions reducing tech to meet demand. Yeah sure, a coal mine could technically run at zero carbon emissions but the coal they sell to be burnt. Are they trying to say Asian buyers will only buy and burn coal from "eco friendly mines?".

Then Tina ends with:

"As the world recovers from COVID-19 and works towards a zero net emissions future, Australian minerals companies will play a central role in providing the resources needed to grow sustainably in coming decades,” Constable said."....WTF is that! You can't have zero emissions from Asian coal fired power gen if you burn coal.

Reads to me the MCA trying to dress up the increase demand info with virtue signalling statements.

Holdfast, jultorsk, 66rounds and 2 others like this.
  3. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

LNG is spiking. Everyone wants an electric car,where do you get the power from?

4. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. mmm....shiney!

Offsetting carbon emissions. Export coal, plant a tree. Sell coal to Asian power plants, pat a puppy.

That’s the play. I’m half cut, but the technology is there or at least possible to have both a viable coal exporting market supplying future energy needs in the developing world while at the same time reducing our carbon footprint.

Oddjob likes this.
  6. mmm....shiney!

Then there’s gas.

Oddjob likes this.
  7. sgbuyer

I once went to a town with a massive Indonesian coal power plant, the air isn’t polluted like in a big city. Air pollution in cities probably come from dirty car and diesel engines.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  8. Tokyo

Tokyo Active Member

not to mention coking coal for steel production.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    66rounds likes this.
  9. sgbuyer

Thermal coal rallying, I'm now up 20% but only because I DCA a couple of times as prices plunge.

10. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

I hope a volcano erupts soon so they can end all the climate debate.
    10,000 years worth of emissions in a few minutes exploding at once might end it finally haha.

Holdfast likes this.
  11. sgbuyer

I guess you haven’t got it. It was never about the environment. If it were about the environment, they would have stopped the tens of millions of acres of tropical rainforests that are being burned down every year. It’s all about profits.

China will process the pollutive rare earths, batteries and everything else that is pollutive, never mind all the toxic chemicals used goes into the rivers and oceans and atmosphere. Manufacturers will build the EVs and you’ll be forced to pay an exorbitant price for it. After 10 years, or probably much less, some other country, maybe Pakistan or Bangladesh will process the scrap, burn the plastics and lithium, release it into the air, use chemicals to extract the metals and release it into the rivers.

12. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I dont think coal will ever go away, even Japan is building 20 or more new coal power plants.
    Imagine japanese greenies who demonstrated outside nuclear power plants, who thought they won when Japan basically shut them all down to learn they are being replaced with Coal Powered Power Plants lol

Coal is plentiful and cheap

13. mattyman174

mattyman174 Member

The problem with Activists (and generally most of the public?) is there is simply no room for compromise. If the Greenies had any sense about them when it comes to power generation they would rally against fossil fuels, push towards modern Nuclear and in the next 50-100 (maybe longer?) years start moving towards 100% renewables.

heartastack likes this.
  14. sgbuyer

Coal stocks already up 40%-50% in just 1 month. Oil stocks (non-US) ones up 30-40%. The rate at which they have gone up is scary. I'm not buying any more, stopped the day they announced the vaccine. If there's a pullback, will be adding.

This shows that prices have dropped due to the pandemic, not so much about greenies or renewables.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    heartastack likes this.
  15. mattyman174

mattyman174 Member

I have no doubt the Greenies had no affect on the pricing of Coal/Oil. I was more making an observation that given their ultimate goal, their current strategy of how to get there is completely detached from the current needs of reality.

sgbuyer likes this.
  16. sgbuyer

It is all about corporate profits. The globalists make much more money selling you expensive EVs and windmills that need government subsidies in order to be commercially viable. And who pays the government to provide the subsidies? The working class tax payer. The super wealthy don't pay tax.

If they were so concerned about the environment. The first thing they would do is to stop deforestation.

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker