the value of jewellery

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by round50, Dec 17, 2012.

1. round50

round50 Member

hi everyone,

im in the hunt for an engagement ring and a gold necklace. ever since i have found this site i have been seeing jewellery only for its scrap value. and when it comes to an engagement ring... its hard to value as the dealer can put whatever price they want on the diamond and you just hope you can afford it.

but the gold necklace is another issue. i know what the gold content is. ie. 9ct. i know the weight.... i know the spot value. so i know roughly how much its worth. but anywho. i went looking for a gold necklace and the dealer in chermside had a sign saying "dont pay more than $39 per gm for 9ct gold, others charge as much as $70!".

currently i worked it out to be $19.35 per gm for 9 ct gold spot. at what level do you say its too expensive.. or is 39$ per gm cheap?

its love... so who cares if i pay $70 per gram? :)

2. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How heavy a chain are you looking for & what size?
    Put a WTB ad up & see what you find, polish it until it looks new (if it doesn't already).

3. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Mate, your Brisbane based... if it's an engagement ring you need... send me a PM - I can sort you out.

Also, if its 9ct chains, likewise!

4. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

9ct gold chains i can supply. $30 per gram

5. greyman68

greyman68 New Member

go to Thailand and buy 23ct gold necklaces and bracelets

6. greyman68

greyman68 New Member

you pay by weight in Thailand, not by design or labour, can always resell for current gold price back to the shop minus small comission.

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Depends Heavily..

The jewellery trade is full of pirates.. Jewellery Stores in the west are open season on suckers.. poor fools who society has pressured into conforming to buy a diamond ring etc at astronomical mark-ups.

If only humans were a bit more free thinking and less inclined to follow the herd into purchasing a peice of shiny mineral that by all counts is only semi-precious.

The mark-ups are really quite extraordinary for both the gem and metal componants...

Obviously India and China and most of Asia are far more honest in there pricing, but the consumer is far more onto it and wouldnt except the fleecings poor western guys tolerate..

Educate yourself about gems -- its worth doing a course and buying specimens before purchasing major items as the risk of getting totally ripped is like 95%

1for1

8. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Engagement ring costs bugger all in the greater scheme of things.

Divorce ring costs friggen heaps, says I knowlingly. :(

9. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

haha.. classic.. i think of the engagment ring as a sunk cost.. just write it off as a bad-debt as soon as you spend it.. kiss it good bye cos that is not an investment

1for1

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Int terms of new chains, you can't really beat this place when buying online .. www.sarraf.com

11. lazy lad

lazy lad New Member

Ssshhhhh. . . . . secrets. Simulated diamonds. No one will know the difference. The last thing you need, is to start your life together with a debt (if borrowing for the ring) or spending all your savings on a rock.

Good luck.:)

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Just don't buy an artificial diamond and pass it off to future misses as a real one.

13. LTEK4NZ

Honesty is always best. If she knows its manufactured and doesn't care all good. If it is manufactured and she finds out all HELL will be up in your house. And im talking of the GREEK Hell.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

What the turtle is Greek hell?

15. LTEK4NZ

Tararus is a being and a place

Tartarus was used as a prison for the worst of villains, including Kronos and the other Titans who were thrown in by Zeus. Uranus also threw his own children into Tartarus because he feared they might overthrow him. These monsters included the "hundred-handed-ones", the "cyclops" and the "giants". and every evil doer in history suffering eternal torment at the hands of Tartarus

in theory its a hell much worse than the christian hell

16. Guest

Guest Guest

You learn something new everyday, cheers!

17. round50

round50 Member

I ended up buying a ring from diamond international. Its a very nice ring and it was 40% off so that's 40% less being ripped off. The fiance is very happy and she said its a small price for something she will wear for the next 50 years.

18. 10ozhound

10ozhound Active Member

Yeh I'm part of the 95%
    I feel I got a good deal on "her" custom wedding ring but any savings made there were absorbed by the cost of my band.
    7.2g of 9k white gold manufactured to fit around my finger cost me $950.
    TBH I let them get one over me because I was so blinded by making sure her ring was right, 18k, the CCCC of her 7 diamonds etc. that I hardly paid attention to my one being 9k and massively overpriced.
    Mind you I hadn't started stacking then and had very little knowledge about karats only knowing that Italian standard was 18k.
    But during the ordering process I am positive I requested both rings to be 18k and failing to go through the absolute fine print I paid the price. Even during an inspection of the rings before pick up I did notice mine had not been hall marked, as it currently sits the 9k is only engraved on the inside.

But it's now on my finger as hers is on hers and as it serves to remind me I have a loving wife at home mid lapdance it also reminds me how easy it is to be swindled right under your nose.

19. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Dont buy from them!! They are no more than cubic zirconias!! They are a rip off.

Shiny.