The value of diversification

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by mmm....shiney!, May 19, 2018.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hello value seekers and fellow gamblers, it's time we revisited Bullion Baron's Pissing Contest.

Now I don't want to go and bag The Baron unnecessarily, god knows he's his own worst enemy, but things ain't looking good on a number of fronts for our Recently Erased Mate eg:

1. IOTA is sad.

2. Yes, an individually selected portfolio can outperform a market index, and..

3. Pumpkins have value, who would've thought???? :p

Big moves over the past few weeks from BNB, after they introduced their DEX, MCO has seen some tasty rises possibly to do with moves into the US market and their CRO airdrops and THETA (which the Baron refers to as "pumpkins") is showing some promise.

The chart below says it all. Decent projects are continuing to move ahead and those invested in them are being rewarded. Now for those wanting a response from The Baron looking for a different angle, well you won't get one, I'm on his ignore list. LOL

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 7.56.43 pm.png

2. mmm....shiney!

Individual projects can and do move against the price of BTC and against general market sentiment. BNB value gained by nearly 20% in the past 24 hours, BTC was up 3%, Liquidity Network (whatever the fcuk that is) is up over 460% while Tutor's Diary o_O is down 79%.

Everyone knows this - exposure to a diversified portfolio won't protect you from a general market crash, but it may soften the blow and can lead to individual gains not within reach of those that who have chosen not to diversify both within a sector and across sectors. This applies to stocks, RE, precious metals, business etc.

3. Silver260

Silver260 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi @mmm....shiney!

Looking back through the previous threads, it appears I've missed some interesting interactions... :)

I like what you've been doing. I think it illustrates perfectly the potential pitfalls of the crypo market. Something I was involved in from the near beginning .

Thinking of sh#tcoins though, I couldn't help but attach the image below. I use to jokingly call them dodgies... Made me a couple of bucks though. Bought that as a souvenir.

While I'm a big believer in the potential of blockchain as a payment technology........sadly I believe the establishment, and speculative greed will kill it. That's why I'm back buying PM :)

IMG_20190306_194813.jpg

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  4. Silver260

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  5. mmm....shiney!

I’m due to update the news next Monday or Tuesday, I’m always hesitant to update the table when there’s a big move either way as it can be all over in a matter of a couple of days

Silver260 likes this.
  6. mmm....shiney!

Hello everyone and welcome back to the monthly update of Bullion Baron's Pissing Contest. :D

The Baron has been going non-stop on the diuretics these pass few months trying desperately to keep up a steady stream of high powered piss in the face of a less than congenial market and, thankfully, just like they helped Warnie when he was on the roids, they've given a handy boost to his IOTA holdings. Up 25% since last month. Unfortunately he's still running at an 86% loss on investment but it hasn't gone to zilch so there's something to be said for small mercies.

Now if he had taken on board some of the advice of others on this forum he could've tempered that savage mauling at the hands of the bears somewhat if only he'd maybe bought some other cryptos as well. Oh well, experience is the best teacher.

THETA has just been treading water worth nearly the same as last month, BTC has modelled a lovely feature of itself climbing about 40% since I sent the last dispatch and C20 (The Baron's meek concession that he called it wrong) also up 40% which suggests it has benefitted by Bitcoin's rise. In shiney!'s Shitcoin Portfolio BNB is posting a profit up 43% since the inception of this contest, none of the others are in the black however but with the exception of THETA, all have posted gains over the month. MCO up 55%, ADA up 100% and NEO up 48%, which means that the Shitcoin Portfolio is returning a 54% loss on investment so far.

These returns ignore the little incentives that the developers of some of these cryptos provide holders of course, namely THETA holders have been given a swag of FUEL, NEO gives GAS to its holders and MCO owners are rewarded with monthly airdrops of CRO whilst holders of BNB get discounted transaction costs. All of them are worth something enhancing the value of the portfolio, though some eg CRO are locked up for a specific period.

Enjoy the month ahead.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 2.02.51 pm.png

Silver260 likes this.
  7. Silver260

Looking like everything is on the march again Mr Shiney :D

Was/Am still expecting BTC to test the bottom again. But maybe FOMO will kick in ??

I decided to buy in again ( BTC ) , a few weeks ago, just for the fun of it. At least it moves , unlike my good friend silver :(

Nothing beats the adrenaline rush you get every morning, checking your price widget, to see how much you've potentially lost overnight......lol

Ivykoin and mmm....shiney! like this.
  8. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

The discussion on this website about P.M.'s is so lame-brained as to be an insult to people who know what P.M's represent that commenters can get away with talking a load of $#!T.
    Those same commenters can talk in a Circle J**K about something they know nothing about & convince susceptible NEWBIES that they know what they are talking about. It is a sad state of affairs. _JLG.

9. Silver260

Are you having a stab at me Mr Galt ?

10. JOHNLGALT

"Are you having a stab at me Mr Galt ?"

NO, Mr. Silver, just the general discussion on this website. CHEERS. _JLG.

11. mmm....shiney!

Thank God you’re here to lift the standard. o_O

12. Silver260

Firstly....I'd like to say, that despite the fact that I've been on this planet for 47 years, I'll never pretend that I have the answers to anything....... With that said :)

John......I actually admire your unshakeable belief in PM's. Trust me, you are not the only one.

But ironically, this topic regarding Cryptocurrency is no different to investing in silver 10 years ago. Many people will get caught up in the FOMO, without ever truly seeing the real value ;)

And when their "dreams" don't come true.....it will taint their view forever.....And nothing anyone says will ever change their view.

But, thinking of Silver and Gold, I'll finish with the following Chinese Proverb.

images (71).jpeg

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Ivykoin likes this.
  13. JOHNLGALT

"Many people will get caught up in the FOMO, without ever truly seeing there real value ;)"
    'THEIR' (CRYPTO CRAP) real value is Zilch, Nada, Nothing, Zero, - get the idea? _JOHNLGALT.

14. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the beanie babie speculative bubble. My mom still has shelves full of them in her basement.
    The only people that made millions were the ones writing the books for the collectors. The lady that wrote the most successful collector book never bought any beanies and knew nothing, just made it all up and made millions.
    Theres always the fomo and the people lined up with their money as soon as prices move up and it happens with everything. Cryptos arent any different than any other asset on paper and totally dependent on too many factors to be reliable or mainstream.

15. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

how often are you around for the creation of a new asset class? i dont remember beanie babies being on the bloomberg price ticker.

16. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

The markets are full of beanie babies type investments. They just go by different names. Buy your collector book now!

17. mmm....shiney!

Here's hoping you're mum wasn't like somebody else we know who shall remain nameless and didn't diversify her collectables. :p

There's plenty of other threads on this forum about the value of digital currencies and blockchains so I won't repeat them here.

18. mmm....shiney!

Like ploughing into an inflatable doll. :D

I'll update the comp on Monday.

Silver260 likes this.
  19. mmm....shiney!

Bears, bulls, haters, fellow lovers of liberty, to those that I respect and those that live South of the Tweed I bid you a Good Morning. Or as another forum member would put it HOW'S IT ALL HANGING IN CRYPTO-CRAP WORLD ?

The big move as we all know has been from Bitcoin - absent from both The Baron's and shiney!'s shitcoin portfolios. Them's the breaks, up 37% on last month's price - still at a loss since the inception of The Pissing Contest but it's driven a lot of interest and sparked some renewed enthusiasm into the market. IOTA, well, it's down again, and THETA has taken a kick up the rectal region so neither of us can make any solid claims to being champions at this stage. :(

The
    Shitcoin Portfolio has returned a mixed bag, as you would expect with a diversified exposure to the market with some nice moves from BNB on the back of the Binance mainnet launch showing a 45% profit since inception of The Baron's Pissing Contest, MCO has risen 24% on last month's price, but still down overall. Crypto20 The Baron's managed diversified fund based on a portfolio of the top 10 crypto-currencies by market cap is up 20% since last month, mainly I'd say thanks to BTC but still down 66% overall.

So to summarise, as far as the comp goes and this report goes it's a pretty lacklustre and tame affair and makes dull reading. With the exception of the oversized coloured font of course which everyone loves. Till next month, auvoir.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.56.16 am.png

l***g, Silver260 and Soprano16 like this.
  20. mmm....shiney!

Welcome back discerning followers of the digital currency revolution. And I suppose "Hi" to the non-believers as well. ;)

Much has been made of the gains in crypto over the April/May period with some projects seeing all-time highs, some still at or near 99% down whilst others are treading water. The big thing is that if you hold coins that haven't seen any technical development on their projects since 2017 - GET RID OF THEM because they will most likely go to zero.

Late May saw Binance announce that TFUEL (THETA'S payment currency) would be listed on the exchange. This sent THETA holders rushing to the bathroom groping for bars of soap (still clutching their packets of Twisties mind you) as the price surged some 50% over the ensuing few days. It's settled somewhat since the announcement but its still 55% up on last month. The holdings are still in the red though, some 17% down on initial investment. BNB has been forging into new territory having reached an all-time high of just over USD35. Currently BNB is up just over 51% since last month and is contributing a healthy 120% profit on investment as a part of shiney!'s Shitcoin Portfolio. Gains in the remaining coins in the Shitcoin Basket have seen losses reduced some 20% or so which equates to an overall loss of about 32% since the inception of this contest.

Bullion Baron's crypto of choice IOTA also saw some nice moves during the period, up nearly 50% as well. Unfortunately it's a marathon effort for it ahead still down about 83% on initial investment. The Baron's choice of diversified portfolio Crypto20, tracking the top 10 cryptos by market cap, also saw some gains and is now returning a loss of about 62% on investment.

There are bearish sentiments amongst some tech analysts so next month's report may not look as rosy. Until then, it's sayonara from the latest instalment of Bullion Baron's Pissing Contest. :D

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 9.19.45 am.png