The value of diversification

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by mmm....shiney!, May 19, 2018.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

He just blogged he is ceasing his activities as BB and continuing on with life as an un-titled citizen.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Makes Bullion Baron’s Pissing Comp a bit misleading now.

Maybe he’ll reincarnate his Hobo-jo identity instead.

3. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks like Shiney drove him into retirement :eek:

dozerz likes this.
  4. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You win by default.

This outcome means you are now "Duke of Shiney" and may be granted the option of changing your username to "Count Crypto", should you so desire.

5. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

maybe he will give you some of that huge iota bag as winner?

6. mmm....shiney!

Happy to share anyone’s bag if it’s cost me nothing

7. dozerz

its also worth close to nothing :p

tongkat and mmm....shiney! like this.
  8. mmm....shiney!

Nice drive by THETA today due it’s listing on Bithumb. Up over 40%, shame it won’t hold there.

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.34.37 pm.png

9. mmm....shiney!

Good afternoon stackers and welcome to a monthly update of the most favourite game show in Cryptoworld......Bullion Baron's Pissing Contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As we all know the bears, or is it bearish sentiment? have cut through the market like fruit bat shit through house paint so it's grim reading for all, or as inmizu says, it's just water off a duck's back for old timers. So I look over my shoulder and note my tears streaming downing my hairy back and content myself that this is no bubble that has popped rather just a speed bump in the road.

So onto the report:

Good old BTC has not moved much since my last report, which I can't seem to see on this thread so I'll include a screenshot of it as well as the current state of affairs. All the grim news has been in the alt market, with BNB not immune to a downturn either so maybe there goes my theory out the door about it possibly being a safe haven in times of desperation. IOTA has been smashed, anyone holding it as the only asset in their crypto portfolio has seen the value of their holdings decrease by a whopping 76%. THETA has had a mixed bag as previously posted in the past month, it confirms that the world is made up of retards and intelligent people e.g. the retards being that anyone would buy a crypto on the news that it gets listed on an exchange, the price gets pumped, then a couple of weeks later the arse falls out of its market cap. After posting weeks of profits, THETA is starting to resemble IOTA, though there's about a 30% difference. :p Still sucks though.

Shiney's Basket of Shitcoins have also copped a shellacking, though it must be pointed out to readers that shellackings occur on a scale from TOTALLY IOTED through THETAed to BTCed, with my Shitcoin portfolio falling falling along that continuum. Still 5% better (whoopee fk) than the Cryprto20 index which is further proof though that an individual CAN beat the general market. So a middle finger to anyone who says they can't. Like BB. :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 1.27.37 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 12.42.36 pm.png

Soprano16 and dozerz like this.
  10. dozerz

76% you say? a hell of a good reason to delete all posts about it if i was to say, be recommending it as fantastic :)

11. mmm....shiney!

Only down another 3% since last month. Gotta look at the bright side @dozerz :D

12. mmm....shiney!

BNB down 33%, less than BTC over the same time period, maybe my theory is not so bad after all?

13. mmm....shiney!

It's time to update Bullion Baron's Pissing Comp and dare I say a degree of optimism has returned to the market? Maybe it's in anticipation of another November/December blowout? Who knows, what I do know is that the crypto market is the most efficient market around in instilling despair in all those who raise their hopes or wake up thinking "today will be different". :p

There was a lot of noise, a heap of noise, in fact it was deafening about XRP since we adjourned and very little of the promised price hikes by the youtube/blogger gurus has materialised. Maybe that is the best indicator of a continuing depressed market? Anyway, XRap (Ripple labs currency swap technology) promises to deliver high speed, low cost international wire transfers - and that can only be a positive for consumers, freeing them from the archaic and overpriced SWIFT system currently in place. And it gives the XRP token utility!! And it's this promise that drove its price up by about 70% over the past month. So we wait for confirmation that XRap will be adopted by the major players and this is the gamble that buyers of XRP were willing to take in the last 30 days.

So onto BB's pissing Comp and what stands out for me? Not much. The Baron's crypto pick MIOTA continues to be in the doldrums, down 76% on initial investment (it did improve by 0.4% so we should be thankful for small mercies I suppose lol). My pick THETA is just bobbing about doing its own thing with no real price action either way down 41% on initial investment, Bitcoin (-31%) had a nice little 2 - 3% surge in value, MCO up about 7% as they continue to add functionality to their wallet and delivered their first Visa cards to Singapore and Binance Coin (the alternative safe-haven ?? -26%) up just under 10%.

It's also refreshing to see that BB's suggested diversified portfolio the Crypto20 fund has actually closed the gap significantly on Shiney's Shitcoin Basket, now only trailing by about 1.5%. All that angst for just 1.5%. o_O

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.47.29 am.png

Until next month this is "The Duke of Shiney" (who understands sweet-fcuk all about coding and cryptography) signing off.

14. mmm....shiney!

Been 2 months of pain, misery and despair. :p

But of course the "crypto shills" amongst us know that the tech is not going to go away despite the whiney-bitchy screams of the unbelievers shouting "Ponzi" and "inherent value" etc.

So, where do we stand in @Bullion Baron 's Pissing Contest?

Well just a re-cap for those new to the forum, the purpose of this thread is to provide a continuous update between two theories. The Baron's position was to invest solely in 1 token (MIOTA), my position was to spread the risk (and the opportunity to profit) and diversify. Now I just need to point out that despite what @Bullion Baron erroneously and dishonestly maintained I never argued that a diversified portfolio would protect an investor from a market wide crash. Just like property or stocks, diversification can only provide protection from sector wide crashes, not market wide crashes. Furthermore, he maintained that no individual can beat the "market" by selecting a portfolio of assets in an attempt outperform market sentiment. Of course that's just nonsense. Careful asset selection has always been the hallmark of successful investors. The data is in on that, my Shitcoin portfolio has beaten his selected market index (Crypto20) by about $15 or 0.42%!!!!! LMAO. pretty skinny win there but I'll take any win I can get at the moment.

As it turns out if I'd taken @Bullion Baron 's advice I'd be kicking home goals (albeit losing ones) with my choice: THETA, which he once described as "Pumpkins". :rolleyes: My second choice was Bitcoin, and I'd be doing even better there just quietly, but let's all leave that aside. @Bullion Baron has left the building and taken all his dodgy calls with him in attempt to protect his reputation leaving me with about an 80% loss on investment as compared to an 88% loss on investment if I'd bought MIOTA.

So to summarise, I can't really claim a win.:oops: My Shitcoin Portfolio is only performing marginally better than the market index, and only about 8% better than the Baron's choice. THETA (aka in Baronspeak as Pumpkins) is doing much better by about 20%, but maybe I was lucky when I entered the market with that one? I'm still standing by my call though that when it comes to crypto, investing in a diversified portfolio will maximise profit opportunity as opposed to running the risk of holding one single token.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 4.10.54 pm.png

Soprano16 likes this.
  15. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In terms of 1 coin/token vs a portfolio of coins/tokens I think it ultimately comes down to how you're playing all of this

If you're a day/week trader then of course having a diversified range of coins is what you need in order to (try) trade and profit, but if you're someone who doesn't trade at all, is just buying X amount and putting it away for years in the hope that one day it will be worth a lot more, then I think doing that with 1 single coin/token is actually fine

16. mmm....shiney!

Greetings bulls, bears, lovers, haters and Barons. And a special mention to our Australian Cricket national selectors - if your'e reading this, you can choke on my manly Crypto Market Cap you pack of retarded morons.

Right, with the pleasantries out of the way the last couple of months has seen a bounce off a low point for cryptos, with dare I say, some optimism entering the market. Meanwhile projects keep moving forward, the coins/tokens of value have not gone to zero and adoption rates keep climbing.

So how has Bullion Baron's Pissing Contest been going since we last shared an IPA together? The Baron continues to trail shiney! by about 15%. He's been busy closing the gap though and restoring some respectability to his recently deleted online identity. Or maybe he's just managed to pull a Bradbury as the rest of the field has faulted? :D

THETA, also referred to by The Baron as "Pumpkins" has copped a shellacking over the past 3 months seeing about 50% of it's value wiped out, the Crypto20 Index Fund has managed to haul in shiney's! Shitcoin Portfolio, IOTA is still kicking despite its enduring relentless episodes of cardiac arrest whilst Bitcoin has been the most respectable performer. Of the coins featured in Bullion Baron's Pissing Contest Bitcoin's 24 hour volume has been in excess of USD5 billion and OMG, ADA, NEO and BNB are all trading over USD30 million for the past 24 hours, which is interesting considering that researchers estimate that less than 1% of the world's population "use" crypto. Now to put that into perspective that's less than the number of bloodnuts in the world. You can draw your own conclusions from those statistics or just be content to trust me, lean back and have a Nicole Kidman fantasy for a brief moment - just make sure no one else is in the office or wherever you're wasting your time reading this. ;)

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 1.39.30 pm.png

dozerz likes this.
  17. dozerz

showing your age with a kidman fantasy, circa bmx bandits?

18. mmm....shiney!

My Elle MacPherson fantasies are probably a more accurate indicator of my age. ;)

Soprano16 likes this.
  19. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

"The value of diversification"

There is no diversification with [email protected]$#!T, you are just giving your WEALTH away to a SCAM invented by the SEE EYE AYE. (C I A)

p.s. I've got an exclusive (one of a kind) TULIP BULB & a BRIDGE TO SELL YOU.

p.p.s. that should be good enough to get me 5 LIKES, for saving people millions of currency units buying [email protected]$#!T. _JOHNLGALT.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 4:09 AM
  20. mmm....shiney!