The Top 1 Percent (Occupy Wall Street)

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Lovey80, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

A fantastic article by Greg Canavan for the Daily Reckoning.

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Defiantly one of the more insightful Daily Reckoning articles.

While the article makes some references to the left side of politics (and I do think the Occupy movement has a leftist influence), I'm pretty sure the "99%" contains a fair number of people who lean to the right as well.

I think a lot of commentators have seriously misjudged the Occupy movement by focusing on the lack of specific demands. Frankly, its up to the 1% to figure out how to fix things because that's the role the elite takes on when they become the elite of society. It isn't some scruffy sociology student's job to fix the world's financial system, but they're making it clear they don't like what's going on.

Just looking at if from the point of view of "lefties want free stuff" skips over the issue completely and I don't think that's even true anyway - people from all sides just want opportunities and the chance to earn "stuff" for themselves. Those opportunities have dried up of late and that's what's causing people to get out onto the streets.

3. PerthStack

PerthStack Member

I doubt the commentators have misjudged the movement, they are just saying what they have been directed to say by TPTB.
    Just look at Onesteel. They lost $1 billion, sacked 1000 workers and yet 4 execs gave themselves $3 million in bonuses. Surely it would have been more socially responsible to give the 1000 workers $3000 each to help them out, but nooooo, the rich must get richer and greed is good.
    This is not a right/left issue, it's a right/wrong issue.

4. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

Power Corrupts and ultimate power corrupts .... well you know the saying.