The sterling hallmark

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by Pirocco, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Jewelry usually consists of several parts (chain / links / whatever shapes). What is the common practice? Do they put the (925) on every single modular (separatable) part? For ex, if you have some jewelry, sold as original, with a sterling mark on an (extra) element of its chain, can you assume that the rest of the item is also sterling, or is that something to not assume (easily)?

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Modern stuff is usually on the clasp
    Vintage fob chains usually have each link hallmarked ( things over 100 years old )
    Usually yes , there is only 1 hallmark

3. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I didn't know that century based difference.
    And it's good news, it's then probably certain that what I bought for a peanut, is indeed all sterling.
    It certainly looks that way.
    I have a cabinet full of decoration stuff, lotsa cheapskate jewelry found in govt sponsored shops I visit every 3-4 days, that get their stuff for free from people that don't bother / don't want the selling hassle (ex after moving to oldie home or inherited / emtying house).
    This particular jewelry piece shows up like a blinking star when directing a spot to the cabinet.
    It easily overrules all the rest.
    And that's what silver is. And that 925 mark on a chain proves then it's massive not plated.