THe so called "experts" were wrong about Trump again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Court Jester, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.news.com.au/finance/mark...k/news-story/7dc5db0f13eacd856a8247f237180b25

to all those killary supporters

.. | .. (0_o) ..|..

2. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Hmm interesting that Goldman Sachs went up after he filled his cabinet with former Goldman scum, and Boeing went up after he said he was going to keep the war machine going indefinitely.

3. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

I don't know if any of you realize this, but living as a nomad I've seen the following first hand. These construction jobs like the keystone pipeline aren't being worked by people like me and you. By that I mean stable people with mortgages and responsibilities that ground them to a specific geographic location. It's a lot of transient people who are only specialized in one skill or trade. Who only exist to do "hit and runs". Meaning they're there to work and leave when its gone. So to boast that jobs were created for that type of work is nothing to get excited about.

I'm not saying this scenario invalidates anything else in the post. Just don't look at it as some kind of major accomplishment because it's really not.

4. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

Sounds just like Australia.

5. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like business as usual then. Looking forward to all the tortured justifications to come explaining why this particular rapacious, grasping megalomaniac is different, or better than all the rest.

6. Currawong

Currawong Member Silver Stacker

FIFO was conceived deliberately as a way to break the ability of unions to organise workers. Bit hard to organise when an entirely different crew is on site every couple of months and they barely even know each other let alone their OH&S rep or shop steward. It's destroying rural communities, the mental health of workers and producing the kinds of single trade, atomised and individualised workers previously mentioned.

7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Trump's first lot of blustering has been far from business friendly.

8. gingham69

gingham69 Member

183's!

9. mmm....shiney!

That's the union perspective on it.

FIFO is the natural outcome of a process of attracting workers to remote and regional worksites in probably the most cost effective manner possible. Rather than having to provide housing and services for whole families, companies just pay an excellent wage and arrange a roster that allows the worker to live in a prime location for 7 days (or the 4/5 rosters) whilst having their families close to all the services in more family friendly environments near major cities or the coastal regions, meaning the workers only have to live in Duck's Guts Ville for the duration of their rostered work hours.

Any negative outcomes experienced by businesses or long-term residents in rural communities as a result of FIFO workers choosing freely to not live permanently in a mining town are exactly the same negative outcomes that all rural communities face that have not transitioned to other industries. Any negative personal consequences of FIFO workers choosing freely to work in a remote location whilst their families live on the eastern seaboard are the domain of the private individual who has exercised their own decisions as they seek to maximise their own outcomes.

Most of the complaints regarding FIFO from vocal residents in rural communities have been of a protectionist nature. Prior to FIFO they complained that the presence of permanent, highly paid mine workers in the community was driving up the cost of goods and services, after FIFO became the norm they complained that none of the workers wanted to live in the communities therefore driving the demand for goods and services down and as a result, demanding that governments force mine workers to live in the towns close to where the mine sites were located or other such trade policies.

There is nothing to stop a worker from renting or buying a house in Moranbah if they don't want to FIFO. Obviously value is subjective though, because living in Mooloolaba for 26 weeks in the year with your wife and kids is a greater attraction for most than living in Moranbah with the wife and kids for 52 weeks in a year.

10. mmm....shiney!

You mean that once the construction ends, these construction workers leave to find work on other construction sites which may be in other parts of the country instead of staying locally and becoming farmers?

11. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How many families want to move to Middle of nowhere. Sure there are some locals but most of these workers do not live within a daily commute distance and very few families want to move there. It's even worse, when building a pipeline over 5000km, what are the families going to do, have an armada of caravans with wife's and kids following it.

Not saying all mines are like that but in many FIFO locations families don't want to go there.

12. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I reckon the wives and girlfriends played a big part and effectively encouraged people embracing it once the cost of air travel came down after the 90's.

13. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How about trying to try explaining to your wife that they are moving to Newman, WA or even worse Marble Bar WA because it's close to work hahahhahaha.

14. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well said.

15. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Spot-on.
    I had numerous opportunities for FIFO with big bucks being the carrot dangling to lure me there.
    But in the end, it was worth more for me to have a stable family life and live on the coast where I could surf every day. FFS... I live where people spend big bucks holidaying. :/
    Even FIFO can be a strain on family life depending on the roster - I have a mate who used to do FIFO and used to get another mate to "cut his grass" so that he knew a stranger wasn't doing it. Turtle that! I stayed where I wanted to be.

16. mmm....shiney!

State power has not only been thus concentrated at Washington, but it has been so far concentrated into the hands of the Executive that the existing regime is a regime of personal government.

Albert J Nock