The Natural Law as a Restraint Against Tyranny | Judge Napolitano

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by AngloSaxon, Nov 20, 2014.

1. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

From one of my favourite speakers on the US Constitution. A member of the judicial branch and an expert on the limitations on limitations (especially where breached) on the other two branches of government. From the 'misesmedia' YT channel.

It's worth sitting through the bad jokes at the start for the actual speech.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4orlWZeF6sg[/youtube]

2. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Didn't watch the video but saw it is about natural law and tyranny, Natural law is things like gravity or the sun setting in the west. I am thinking he is not talking about stuff like that....

I am guessing it is one of those statements like "meat is murder" "tax is theft" type statements. Trying to give an argument some credibility by linking it to something it has nothing to do with while trying to give it credibility - very catchy though.

3. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

No, he's talking about inalienable rights and limitations to government power.

I would say gravity and the sun setting in the west are the laws of physics, not the natural rights of human beings.

Edit - I note I made a typo in the original post, too late to edit it. "limitations to government power" not limitations to limitations.

4. Newtosilver

"Natural law"has nothing to do with inalienable rights and limitations of govt powers. IS could say it is "Natural Law" is "non believers" being forced to convert or die. I am pretty sure Hitler mentioned "Natural Law" in regards to Jews in Mein Kampf.

Edit : Just had a look Hitler was big on "Natural Law" in relation to survival of the fittest and "defending yourself against the Jew"

Natural Law is a term that seems to be adopted to support arguments by various groups to try and lend weight to there argument as I said catchy phrase like meat is murder.

If it is a "law" it has to be right and can not be argued against because it is "law" and if you do argue against it you must be a bad person because you want to break a "law"

I am sure it is a good term to use with the sheep, worked for Hitler anyway.

5. Newtosilver

Actually looking at Natural Law there are numerous variations,

"Anyone who deprives another person of his or her rights in the state of nature, Locke argued, violates the principle of equality. Ultimately, Locke wrote, the state of nature proves unsatisfying. Human liberty is neither equally fulfilled nor protected. Because individuals possess the liberty to delineate the limits of their own personal needs and desires in the state of nature, greed, narcissism, and self-interest eventually rise to the surface, causing irrational and excessive behavior and placing human safety at risk. Thus, Locke concluded, the law of nature leads people to establish a government that is empowered to protect life, liberty, and property."

So natural law leads men to form Govt to protect people from greed, narcissism, excessive behaviour etc (sounds like some Libertarians).

Or if you look at secular law it is based on the word of God (or Allah I suppose) then natural law would lead to stoning, cutting off hands, punishment for sodomy etc.

I suppose what your agenda is depends on what "type" of natural law you'll push.

6. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. Newtosilver

... I have developed, over the years, some sense of the difference between real horseshit that you can step in and Ideal Platonic Horseshit that exists, evidently, only in the contemplation of those who worship such abstractions; and I continue to notice that Natural Law bears an uncanny resemblance to ideal Platonic Horseshit.
    Robert Anton Wilson, "Natural Law"

8. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Seriously though, I think R.A.W. is one Libertarian that takes too much LSD or something :p

9. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Please

thanks for posting this speech.

Well worth the 10 + minutes to watch.

very aimed at USA but global in context.