The "My Metal Detector" thread - What you got and why ?

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Austacker, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I thought this could complete the circle for us.

We have the "Entry Level/Beginner Kit" thread - http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...etectors-and-gear-recommendations-please.html

Recommend me a detector - http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-32549-reccomend-me-a-metal-detector-1000.html

2nd Hand Detectors - http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-10725-buying-a-2nd-hand-metal-detector.html

Metal detectors - http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-555-metal-detectors.html

Gold Metal Detectors - http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-12802-gold-metal-detectors.html

and a probably a few more...

What I couldn't find is a thread, where we say what we are using, and why. Ok I guess some of you won't want to post up. However those that do, it would be great to understand how and why you came to this decision

:D

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I will explain mine -

I looked at what I was going to do and how often I was going to do what. I didn't go too far into days more times per year roughly.

Beach 10-20
    Parks 20-30
    Other - Old Homesteads etc... 5
    Outback - 3

With this I quickly worked out that a Minelab PI machine was not going to do the job that I wanted. Sure for outback I would choose no other than a GPX5000 however these machines are virtually useless around suburbia. I will be doing nearly 99% suburbia prospecting.

From there I looked at middle to top. The Garret AT Pro was a consideration. Being W/Proof and a good GP model. In the end I decided to keep my moto of "Buy once, Buy well" so good or bad I ended up with a Minelab CTX 3030 yeah baby :)

I also considered this is 2011/12 technology as such it has all the bells and whistles. While still being a damn good detector. Includes GPS, also many adjustments and profiles. No doubt downloadable content that works with their interface software. So it is only new and frsh from the box. I only had 5 min for a quick spin, found 5c yah Look forward to adding some finds in the threads.

[​IMG]

3. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good one Austacker.

CTX3030 looks like a good machine and looking forward to hearing what you think of it and what you find.

Ive checked out one of these in the local dealers shop. Features look good, I like the GPS idea for tracking your hunts and the display screen.

There is a software upgrade available already for it. It changes how the pin-point function works. Hook it up to the Internet to get the upgrade if you havent already.

Ive got a Minelab GPX 4000. Only hunt for Gold.

4. Auspm

Auspm New Member

CTX3030 is a top of the line coin and relic hunting machine.

Wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, but if you know your stuff and will use it a lot, it could be worth the cash.

You have to find a serious amount of stuff to break even on one though... I was looking at one for myself and nearly had a heart attack at the retail cost.

Considering how much stuff I found with an extremely humble Xterra 30, I would find it difficult to drop so much extra hoping it might find the little that the base machine I have might miss.

But if this was your 'hobby' and you did it a couple times a week, I could understand it.

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Agree it was a lot to shell out, however I did get a really good deal. It was a Brand New S/H, only a week old. Have receipts. So I took the plunge.

While it may take a lot to get the return, if going by history it should hold its value better as well. So if I was to sell it should give me a fair return - finds. I should be in front, should be ...

I also wish to use it when I go out back as a second unit, and especially old trashy sites.

Thanks for heads up on the software update. I will do that tonight. Off for a swing in a minute or two.

6. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The change to the pinpoint allows you to turn it on and off rather than having to hold it on with your thumb which is a bit awkward.

I reckon if all a person who buys a detector concentrates on is the $$ value of their finds compared to their detectors cost they will most times end up disappointed and/or disillusioned.

What is the value of the enjoyment of being in the outdoors and the challenge of trying to find something of interest (or value)? The thrill of the hunt, the research and learning the history of places, becoming well aquainted with your machine and meeting and mixing with other treasure hunters are what I value about detecting.

It may help that I have covered the cost of my machine, but it did not happen quickly or easily. All I need to do now is cover the ongoing costs such as gallons of bug spray, buying different sized coils, replacing skid plates and other perishable items, not to mention petrol and I'll be rich. :)

7. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

I use a Garrett AT-GOLD with a variety of coils, 5x8" DD, 9x12" Concentric and 4.5" Super Sniper, it depends on where I'm detecting and what I'm chasing as to which coil I will use.

Reason, its a lightweight, very sensative and responsive machine which has been built / tuned to pick up on small gold / targets, it's also fully water proof. It's internal speaker is really loud, great for noisy areas or for hearing deep / small targets when not using a headset.

I use it on the beach (dry sand primarily, it's not designed for wet, salty sand due to the frequency used, although you can knock back the sensitivity in some cases), out in the sticks when relic hunting and out on the gold fields (minimal use on gold fields so far). It performs well in each in these scenarios and also seems to handle mineralised ground pretty well.

All and all its a great machine.

P.S. there are other things I love about this detector and I can elaborate on these if anyone wants to know. I'm just typing on the phone atm so I tried to keep it fairly short. :)

8. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

I normally run an ML 4500, but yesterday was offered a Garrett Infinium LS. It came complete with Garrett Pro Pointer, spare bottom shaft

small Nugget Finder coil plus the standard 14inch DD coil. The machine is 14 months old as new and yet to find gold, although it has

produced a heap of shell casings, coins and the usual rubbish. Not only will it be a good backup machine, but should be much better at

the beach or parks. I'm pretty keen to give it a run. :p

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Got an Xterra 750 on "permanent loan" from the FIL - mostly a parks machine. Awesome at finding $1 and $2 coins - if I wasn't so "ooh it might finally be a gold ring", I would just dig signals 30 and 32 from it - the number of $1 and $2 coins it finds FAR outpaces the value of any cupro-nickel coinage.

10. Madhatter

Madhatter New Member

I have a sovereign GT and detect the local beach often, i went for this model because for price/performance ratio for the wet sand its very good. last year the huge majority of finds were ring pulls and bottle tops, but there was 3 gems as well:)

11. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

I have the Sovereign GT as well. Went for it because of its discrimination abilities, depth and versatility.
    It is a killer on the beach and has a waterproof coil. It does have its own language and takes some time
    to learn it. I am only starting to get there, but after a while you do start to pick the differences in the tone
    variations and frequencies. I have a long way to go yet though.