The Multifaceted Wolf Head coin (pushing the limits)

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Aug 22, 2019.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I’m typically not into stuff from the RCM, but this piece is absolutely stunning!! Hard to find. APMEX still has them...the article below is a good read!!

Pushing the Limits - The Royal Canadian Mint adds to its family of innovative firsts

Multifaceted Animal Head Series: 1oz. Pure Silver Extraordinarily-High Relief three-coin subscription

Innovation is nothing new to the Royal Canadian Mint. Whether it be a shape, size, or never before-seen technology (just to name a few), we are always looking for ways to push the limits on what we can achieve in the minting world and in coining technology. The result - some of the world's most stunning, technologically advance coins.

The Multifaceted Wolf Head coin, the first in a three coin series, is no different. It has given us yet another milestone to hang our hat on. So what makes it so special? Everything.

It’s a world’s first!
    Never one to shy away from a challenge, our talented engineers and engravers found a way to manufacture a coin that is reminiscent of a sculpture – on a 36 mm coin none-the-less.

Introducing the world’s first Extraordinarily High Relief 36mm proof coin!

To put it into perspective, until the introduction of our multifaceted Wolf Head coin (and its successors), relief heights on coins of this size have never surpassed 2 mm for a 1 ozt. proof coin. The relief on this unique coin is 6 mm, which is equivalent to five 1 oz. coins stacked on top of each other. Big job – small surface.

[​IMG]

It shines like a diamond
    The Wolf Head coin, and the other two coins in the series, are multifaceted. In order to capitalize on the Extraordinarily High Relief, and to really achieve the desired sculpture-like effect, 435 polygons were incorporated into the design. The meticulous detailing of the facets not only make the wolf look more realistic, but make it sparkle like a diamond. You really need to see it to believe it.

Side Note - If collectors pay close attention they will notice the consistency of the facet distribution in each animal in the series. From the ears, to the nostrils, there is a common pattern, making this set a true masterpiece and real conversation piece.

Its obverse is unique too!
    In manufacturing this coin, we reached another milestone to add to our list. Unlike the other 36 mm coins in our repertoire, we applied facets on the obverse, making this the first time a faceted effect was applied to the queen side of a coin of this size.

What else…
    Here are five other interesting facts about this extraordinarily unique, extraordinarily beautiful and extraordinarily high relief coin.

1. Extensive Manufacturing Period - On average, it takes approximately 10 months to manufacture a coin from start to finish. This coin took three years, which really speaks to its intricacy and technicality.
    2. Unconventional Approach - The three-dimensionality of this coin is so extreme that that the modeling and tooling work had to be approached in an unorthodox manner. The engravers adapted their normal coin modeling procedures, machining strategies and tool polishing methods to accommodate such an extreme relief.
    3. Virtual Minting - The blanks (a.k.a. pre-stuck material with no design) were engineered specifically for this coin. The shape of the wolf’s head was not added after the fact, it was struck right into the coin. This means that special software (a.k.a. Virtual Minting) was used to determine the thickness and diameter needed to achieve this effect in a classic minting process.
    4. Third Strike’s a Charm - The coin was only struck three times to achieve the finished product. On average, two strikes are required to manufacture a standard coin. What makes the coin so groundbreaking is that it could have taken many more strikes to achieve the desired effect, but we were able to engineer it without any machining and to only need three strokes.
    5. Beyond our Walls - The idea of an Extraordinarily High Relief coin originally came from someone outside of the Mint, and was first attempted on our Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II: The Young Princess coin. A 1 oz. pure silver coin with an antique finish. So keep your ideas coming!
    What our engineers had to say
    The wolf embodies loyalty, strength, courage, and steadfast determination – much like our engineers…

“The Wolf was the perfect subject to test out the latest innovation in minting. The detailed design loans itself perfectly to the effect we were after – that of a sculpture.”

“The irony behind this coin is that though this is a world’s first in innovation, the technique used to achieve the Extraordinarily High Relief is a classic. No machining used, only striking.”

Attached Files:

Bullion Baron likes this.
  2. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gorgeous coin.

3. dross

dross Active Member

Looks like their doing a bear and cougar coin like this as well.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. barsenault

Wow the bear and cougar looks awesome too.

What I love about it is this - 3 years. And they knocked it out of the park too. 2500 minted and hard to find.
    1. Extensive Manufacturing Period - On average, it takes approximately 10 months to manufacture a coin from start to finish. This coin took three years, which really speaks to its intricacy and technicality.

5. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree they do look amazing and taking three years to design and manufacture hopefully they have over come the milk spot problems of past with their coins

6. barsenault

Do they get milk spots on collectibles? I thought it was only on the bullion? I’ve not seen them on collectibles? Not 100% certain...here’s to hoping. Lol

7. johnnyhann

johnnyhann Active Member Silver Stacker

the mint got it completely wrong with the mintage. this would have easily sold out at 5,000 or more and given a better chance for collectors to get their hands on it at a reasonable price.

66rounds likes this.
  8. barsenault

Agreed. I think this is a sleeper. It took a friend to hit me over the head with the video for my eyes to open! And they were opened. And I picked it up!
    Once people understand how beautiful this thing is in hand, they will try to scoop them up. APMEX had 27 last night and 8 today. Hard to find anyway else. I think $149.00 will be cheap when we look back!! I think the first in a series, the first of its kind, and a limit run of 2500, is a no brainer for this piece. I’m tempted to buy the rest of APMEX’s supply. :)). I showed my wife and she usually yawns at the stuff I show her, but she was like wow, that looks like a diamond. Lol

9. superjeka

superjeka New Member

I purchased the whole set from the Mint when it was 96% sold out.
    But some people say RCM's products don't hold their value, so may be it was too fast, and I should wait for dropped price.

66rounds likes this.
  10. barsenault

In most cases, I would agree. In a very few cases, the prices rose and never looked back (UFO piece). If I’m a betting man, and I am, I think the same will happen here. First of its kind, setting a standard, first in the series (or in your case 3 pieces). Granted, #1 and 2 most of the time never do as well, but I think the set will be rare enough to climb in value. Kudos for picking it up. I’ll buy it from you for he price on RCM if you’re nervous. Lol.

66rounds likes this.
  11. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

cant wait to see what milk spots look like in 3d.

SlyGuy and kutylin like this.
  12. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just think bukkake

dozerz likes this.
  13. barsenault

Do you have samples of collectible pieces (NOT bullion) that have white spots? Would like to see them please. Sincere ask. Thanks.

14. dozerz

i dont keep these examples, rcm are famous for the white spot and i did think about buying this coin even with their new coating protection, but no.

15. barsenault

I know they are famous for white spots, I’ve been around the block a few times. What I haven’t seen, however, is their collectible pieces being riddled with white spots. You seem to be confusing bullion (maples) with collectibles...please show me examples of collectibles having white spots. Thanks.

16. dozerz

depends what you consider collectible, i would say reverse proof privy maples are and these have spots. says something about a mint of you care for one release and not others. if this coin was released by another mint i probably would have bought it.

17. barsenault

Nah, those privy pieces are bullion coins, sorry. All their maples are prone to milk spots...we are all well aware of that fact, sadly. However, I’m talking a true collectible coin. I’m not saying they’re not out there, as they are with most any other mint (collectible Britainias) but like most other major mints, few and far between.

18. Grizzly

Grizzly Active Member

RCM claims to have changed their process not get milk spots anymore. Started with the 2018 maples. I have a small stack of 2018 and 2019 maples and no sign of milk spots. Am keeping an eye on people talking about their 2018 onward maples to see if RCM really fixed the milk spot issue or not.

19. barsenault

But we expect them to be on the maples. They are bullion coins-

20. Grizzly

Grizzly Active Member

Well the RCM says that from 2018 onwards you do not need to expect them on Maples anymore. Time will tell.