The morality of debt

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My ears hurt!!!!!!!! :p

2. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

?? why?

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

My typing finger hurts...

4. DanDee

Oh! you prolly mean your metaphysical ears, from listening to high volume of my sound reasoning?

5. mmm....shiney!

lucky luke's middle finger hurts :rolleyes:

:lol:

6. DanDee

:eek:
    edited to prevent future misconceptions.

7. DanDee

I need a new computer chair.

8. renovator

:lol:

9. renovator

Im glad you cleared that up ...... :D

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just to put some perspective on it, look at the definition:

Debt not just about borrowing money. It is one of the most useful and important elements of our society and we could not do without it. There are no intrinsic moral issues with debt itself.

Once you climb into a taxi and the meter is rolled you are accruing a debt until you reach your destination.
    If you hand over cash in the shop that required change there is now a debt created until the cashier puts the change into your hand.
    Every time you turn on a light switch in your house you are accruing a debt until you pay your quarterly electricity bill.
    Every hour you work each week a debt is accrued by your employer until you are paid at the end of the week. Outstanding annual leave is a debt.
    Every time you order something off the internet and pay up front a debt is created until you receive your item.

We are surrounded by debt. It is a very useful tool, it is in and of itself perfectly moral and our society would stall without it. Imagine sitting in a cab with a kilo bag of 5c coins paying for your trip every 10 meters so that no debt is created.

11. lucky luke

lucky luke Active Member Silver Stacker

Explain or repeat yourself till your blue in the face Shiney, it won't make you any more right.

Why do I get this picture of you running repeatedly into a brick wall, saying to yourself, "my head is harder than you, it is harder than you, it is harder than you....." instead of just stepping around it. :)

12. lucky luke

What's with your pre-occupation with sex Shiney!? :rolleyes: You started this thread. Why don't you set an example and try to stay ontopic?

13. lucky luke

ahhhh The joint intelligence of the two of you profoundly shines!!!! You do yourselves no favours with those little gems. Sincerely, THANK YOU! I don't have to make a point when your making it yourselves. :rolleyes:

And you wonder why the likes of auspm leaves this forum, while others lurk deeper. Forum admin only have themselves to blame when the likes of this shit goes unaddressed. If it was a free-for-all without any worry about Forum admin being subjective in their decision making, you lot would get given as much as you dish out.

Happy to continue pointing out "nicely" when your acting as [email protected] ie doing it with one arm behind my back while you keep swinging with both arms. But your posts above make it unnecessary as your doing it for me. Thanks again.

14. renovator

Were just having a bit of a laugh at your expense as others have done with us We even do it to each other . The difference is we dont care . People who take offense at a little ribbing need to get some character .
    As for auspm im dissapointed he has decided to leave he does add another view to the forum (albeit a bit fanciful ). Thats his decision he gave as good as he got but i dont here oh poor reno . theres been times when others flog me for hours calling me all the names under the sun & i just take it on the chin like an adult & laugh it off.. .. but that seems to be acceptable because its me not him ....

15. lucky luke

"We're just having a bit of a laugh at your expense as others have done with us We even do it to each other . The difference is we dont care . People who take offense at a little ribbing need to get some character" . Disingenuous bullshit. There is a world of difference between "a little ribbing" and outright character assassination. What fkn idiots do you take us for? :rolleyes:

Prattle on as much as you want......... your leopard's spots are clear for anyone to see. You are what you are.

You mightn't mind the mudslinging personal crap, but that doesn't mean others have to accept the same shit. Me? I'll give as much as I have to take. What pisses me off though is that some on this forum appear to be protected species and say/behave with near impunity. Others have to cope with it and respond with care in case they get "time out" (during which they are even less disposed to respond). YOU know this better than anyone mate. The sort of shit you dish out would have had other members banned (or suspended) long ago.

Typical of schoolyard bullies, the loss of auspm won't be missed by those who have difficulty trying to debate him. While a lot of his opinions may be fanciful pie-in-the-sky stuff, he does put forward points of view and issues beyond personalised mudslinging. When he does respond, it is as a "response". No one in their right mind is going to be a voluntary whipping boy for the likes of you and your one line personalised B/S mate.

You can try bootpolish to hide your spots. The black though might stand out as much as the spots.

16. mmm....shiney!

But you can't come up with a logical alternative. You say it is amoral. I then say it can't be amoral because of this reason, and that reason, and furthermore, here is another reason.

Then you respond with "it is amoral" and then you swear, question my gender and my intelligence and try to put me down by denigrating women.

So I patiently take your point that debt is amoral and try to refute it in a different manner.

Then you respond with "it is amoral" and then you swear, question my gender and my intelligence and try to put me down by denigrating women.

I would appreciate it if you could take your hatred and start your own thread, and not clutter up my thread. Or if you can't, stay positive and respect everyone's wishes who may be interested in the outcome of this debate (all 3 of us).

17. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

18. lucky luke

You got the shitfight you were looking for Shiney. Why don't you stop the pretense? This thread had nothing to do with the thread title. It started about the same time as another thread discussing similar issues in which GP had to intervene to "chill" everyone a bit. Talk yourself into the ground on this thread. You got what you set out to get. :rolleyes:

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-422490.html#p422490

As for the "Then you respond with "it is amoral" and then you swear, question my gender and my intelligence and try to put me down by denigrating women." Oh please JULIA, take a bit of renovators "broard shoulders" advice. Playing the victim doesn't suit you. However I'm sure you will get your way with that tactic though. It never fails with the spineless.

19. mmm....shiney!

So let's move on, it seems my ruse has been exposed. :rolleyes: Apparently anyway.

It appears I'm not getting far trying to convince members that debt is moral. There are some (maybe one) who believe debt is moral, some believe debt is bad (and by definition immoral), some believe it is both moral and immoral but that is a contradiction, and some who don't even want to think about it.

It appears to me that at the very least, the vast majority of people here believe debt is not bad, but that it has it's place in the creation of wealth and as dandee explained, is in fact inescapable.

Any disagreements on the last point?

20. renovator

. Oh stop it i'l cry ... I think you just proved my point .....again. You see i told you that you seem to think its alright to do it to some but not others . dont worry im not having a teary farewell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.