The market is softening, at least in Silver (LBC MCC List #106)

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by fishball, Nov 29, 2011.

1. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

tamo hasn't been around to post this, so here it is in case you all missed it.

A good read as usual.

Modern Chinese coin investments LIST #106 - PH GR DT KJ, Ag Au, 1984-89, 70's $$

Really a must read if you're buying Pandas or modern Chinese coins, Badon is dead accurate with his analysis of the market in my opinion.

^ very true right now. I have picked up cheap coins left and right.

In fact, this is a screenshot of my hotmail :lol:. It's all Paypal and eBay on the first 2 pages pretty much. Gotta give props to the guys who bought my stuff over the past week and helping me raise funds ;) [you know who you all are!].

Been buying coins left and right off eBay at amazingly low prices and I'm not the only one, I am sure 25grizzlies is doing the same as to our recent chat which revealed both of us buying some key/rare/bargain coins in the background for what we perceive to be cheap, although we have different definitions of 'cheap' :p.

Some examples I have come across while pursuing my post-2000 MS69 NGC Panda collection (includes delivery from US):

- Frosted 2000 1oz Silver: $435 US
    - 2004 1oz Silver: $145 US
    - 2006 1oz Silver: $130 US
    - 2001-D 1oz Silver: $210 US
    - 2003 1oz Silver: $200 US
    - 30th Anni 2009: $108 US
    - 2002 1oz Silver: $160 US
    - 2005 1oz Silver: $130 US
    - 1997 SD 1oz Silver: $145 US

These prices are pretty reasonable for NGC MS69 including delivery (some sellers charge $30+ shipping too!), and they're reasonably easy to obtain from the eBay right now so if you're looking for bargain graded Silver Pandas now it's a great time to go hunting on eBay.

In fact my prices are probably a bit high since I only set a high bid and left it as I don't have time to camp eBay, if you have enough motivation and time you can get even better prices than me.

Graded Pandas can be had for cheaper than OMP in Silver right about now, what more can you ask for? ;)

Good luck Panda stackers ;)

2. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Good for us buying :D ... bad for the few of us also trying to raise some fiat off of our furry friends at the moment. :/

I admit, I have gotten some bargains recently as well, including some 2009 Agricultural bank commemoratives mislabeled as the 30th annis.

3. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

fishball, I think I might guy-love you.

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Don't let yennus see that :)

5. fishball

6. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Actually fishy the prices quoted here are much higher than many prices I have seen lately ... OMP has been selling for much less than the graded coins as well.

Look around Ebay right now ... very many bargains, I and a few of my friends have been loading up. What is even better is when you know the seller and just go through paypal ... great deals to be had. Also I think it is well recognized that the recent depression in pricing is relevent to all the precious metals coins ... look at all of the posts on CCF regarding this issue.

There are some moderately rare silver, gold & platinum coins selling for significant discounts right now which is great for all of us !!! :D

Here are just a few examples of recent ebay sells for 1 oz Silver Pandas in OMP:

1995 - $90
    1996 - $67 & $71
    1997 - $73 & $77
    2002 - $99
    2004 - $68
    2005 - $74 & $79
    2008 - $58

Here are just a few examples of recent ebay sells for 1 oz Silver Pandas graded NGC MS69:

2001D - $170 (have seen for much less though)
    2002 - $99
    2005 - $79
    2009 - $86

There are many more transactions with prices such as these I just pulled a few up for examples.

Some of these I actually picked up and some I missed while at work but considering the recent pull back in coin prices, it presents a great opportunity to acquire these and other much more rare coins for great prices. I recently purchased several 2003/2004 in OMP from a good friend at $95 which I felt was a fair price. I wish I would have picked these up before the 2004 MS69 I got from Majestic Rarities for $135 but still not a bad deal. (doesnt make any sense but the only reason I bought this 2004 is that it was from Nick at Majestic Rarities, I own a ton of these already :))

In my opinion the long term outlook is exceptional for Chinese coins this is a great time to be adding to a collection at modest prices. As in all collectibles, prices will not increase exponentially every day, week or month and slowdowns/corrections are healthy for any market.

7. fishball

My prices include $33 USPS postage.. so yeah the prices you're quoting are probably what I paid for the coin alone ;)

Good time to buy.

ps. I still need 2008 NGC MS69 AHHHHHH help me find one Mr. Comeaux ;)

pps. I think most of the money in the market is piling onto the Beijing International Coin Expo and Champion Hong Kong auctions going on at the moment so the rest of the market is a bit quiet. Buy buy buy!

8. comeaux

Valid point fishy but shipping domestically is typically free to $3 for a single coin :D

But I guess that shipping cost is something that needs to be considered when collecting in Australia and could add significant cost on certain coins.

On the 2008 you know I don't sell my coins (although I have given a few free :)) but there are several on ebay or maybe yennus could hook you up with a good deal !

9. fishball

Yep.. costs are significant shipping from US down to here unfortunately. It adds to the cost but overall it's still a bargain.

Yeah I know you don't sell your coins, but if you see a cheapo one help me buy it or something haha :)

Most of the cheaper sellers don't ship overseas or charge extreme shipping fees :(

Cheapest 2008 I can find on eBay right now is ~$140 NGC MS69. Sad.

10. comeaux

Let me look I can probably find you a 2008 NGC MS69 for about $110 to $120 which includes shipping as well.

I will PM you if I find a good deal to see if you want me to get it and ship to you

11. fishball

Thank you much appreciated ;)