The Land Down Under - Sydney Opera House 2013 2oz Gold Proof

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Phiber, May 1, 2013.

1. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

They haven't even been able to sell out of the silver 'Land down under opera house'. I'd say thats a slight indication of just how popular the theam is.
    The 2oz Queesn Vic also hasn't sold out so my suggestion would be a rather large pass on this coin.

(on looking at the PM site it seams that none of its recent gold coin releases have sold out, perhaps the primmum is not justified given the current gold price.)

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a great looking coin but a bit too expensive. $5050AUD

What you could do is buy:

2 x 1oz 2013 Gold Kangaroos @ $3032

10 x 1/10 gold Kangaroos or Snakes @ $1930.

Total $4962

5050 - 4962 = 88

$88 bucks will pay for shipping and 1 carton of Coopers Vintage Ale.

Then... when gold is up around 2500 bucks an oz you can sell the Roos, Buy that Sydney coin, drink the Ale and have a free oz of gold. :D

YES! :lol:

4. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks guys good points!
    I guess the mintage figure are pretty good on both the opera house and the queen but the fact they haven't sold out might indeed be a good indication of their popularity - and not many people have 5K to dump on a coin! But the fact that the silver ones haven't sold out might also be a good indication... Mmm 200 is a low mintage though...

5. richo

richo New Member

@Phiber,

I mix in a few Perth Mint numismatics with the gold bullion kangaroos. I took the view that right now is a decent buying opportunity, as on the back of the recent gold price fall, they reduced most gold numismatics by around 15-20% last week. Of course you need to make your own call on timing!

My preference are the Discover Australia 2012 gold coins. Previously the last few years Discover Australia coins had mixed sales, so in 2012 they slashed mintages, in some places by 90%, so I think in the long run they are a fair bet, plus they are nice to look at. The Green and Gold Bell frog and Red Kangaroo coins are superb.

Havn't looked too closely at The Land Down Under coins, but remember they are a series, so you might find compelled to buy some of the later ones if you shell out on the Opera House!

Good luck.

rich

6. victoryocum

victoryocum New Member

If you are a serious numismatist, this coin is a must-buy. It has a mintage of just 200. Some coins have mintage of even more than 10,000! The lower the mintage the rarer the coin. So, this one will be a coveted coin in your collection.

However, looking at the inventory of The Perth Mint Australia, it still holds coins minted in 2010.

If you aren't a coin enthusiast, and seek to invest in gold bullion, probably you would like to consider some other gold coins that are valued at a price close to their metal content.