The High Relief Mammoth

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by barsenault, Apr 25, 2015.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I think a few of the Chinese medals I have will not fit even in the 15mm max thickness NGC slab. I sure hope that NGC starts looking into slabs that can fit even thicker medals....they have nothing to lose...they pass the cost onto the buyer for the current fatty slabs anyway....so it's not like they'd have to come up with a new pricing paradigm.

I think the Mammoth medal is quite cool looking but my constrained budget has no room at this time for it. And besides, like Stark, there are other terrific Chinese medals already on my "looking to-buy" list.

2. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Well, re: NGC "ultra-fatty" slabs, can't get if you don't ask..

http://www.ngccoin.com/contact-us.aspx

Get out your ruler, heh. And if they see enough demand for something, I'm guessing they'd go ahead with it.

Have multiple email addresses? ;)

Honestly, I'm not so sure either size of the Mammoth will be able to fit in a slab.

Looks like it would be a tight squeeze, at best.

Yeah, budget is always tough. Mine's taken a bit of a beating. However, the good news is I've been able to cross a lot of stuff off my list, never having to be purchased again.

Trying to focus on only a few categories these days, one being China medals.

And with these new photos, the Mammoth has climbed up my list a bit.

Still others ahead of it, too. Always have to compare every potential purchase to my favorites in that particular category, for better or worse.

But chunky stuff like this is up my alley!

3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The kg slab has become smaller in sizes as compare last year. I just get my kg 2015 panda pf69.

It like Samsung note size.

4. mmissinglink

^ Smaller in length X width but maybe not in thickness?

Imagine they made a super fatty slab for a 10 kilo Perth Mint silver Lunar coin? :) That would also be able to fit almost any Chinese medal, heh? :)

5. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

We have a lot of interesting choices in the coin/medal market today. How do we make our buying decisions? Objectively or subjectively? How good are those decisions? Only time will tell! The Mammoth medal is similar to many other numimatic items out there. The decision of whether to buy or not is quite easy IMHO. I did not understand the medal initially. Now I see more complexity in the design than I thought. Likely to keep you interested for a long time. If you decide to buy, buying early will get you into the base price which is not likely to go down any further than it is. I know many of us profess not being here to make money; but we are also not here to lose money! Search for good deals! Best wishes.

6. mmissinglink

^ That's a good way to put it KOT....while I am not looking necessarily to make money (I'm not interested at all in flipping my medals) I am also not looking to necessarily lose value on purchases.

I think that certain medals are bound not to lose value or that the owners of certain medals would not sell them for less than what they perceive is a fair value. It's difficult for me to imagine that medals like the Xi-Shi Holding a Pearl (as just one example) will lose value. It is a terrific design that many medal collectors seem almost universally to appreciate...at least from comments I have read on 2 or 3 different forums which discuss medals.

I feel confident that the brass and copper Xi-Shi Holding a Pearl medal set I own would get me in return upon selling them at least as much as I paid for them.....though I don't intend to part with them. Their mintage is so low that I think anyone who wants them will be hard pressed to find one selling at a lower price than they are selling today....if you can even buy one before they are gobbled up by other buyers.

7. andrewlee10

Usd190 for 90 mm if not wrong for the mammoth. Should has stock.

8. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

"KOT" indeed! That was the handle I initially thought of using but I got a bit scared; cause I did'nt know if KOT meant something bad or naughty in any language! Now we are on record that mmsing used that term first!

More seriously I am on a quest to get my hands on the Xi Shi medals. If what what I see in pictures turns out to be true on handling the medal then this medal is a masterpiece worth owning and keeping.

9. mmissinglink

The Xi-Shi Holding a Pearl is a stunning masterpiece of craftsmanship...for sure one of my top favorite of all Chinese medals. The relief is high and the design intricate. One side depicts a fierce dragon (the best dragon design I have ever seen on a coin or medal) and the other side one of the Four Beauties of Chinese lore.

I'm telling you, it's a winner of a medal!

I wish I had an extra set of the brass & copper to sell you but I don't. The last 2 sets sold out quickly on eBay from what Stark tells me.

Good luck finding a set.

10. avalon

avalon New Member

Agreed, the Xi Shi is way cool. :cool: As I understand it, the pearl mounted in the medal is a real pearl...

11. Gatito Bandito

12. mmissinglink

I think some modern Chinese medals may handily exceed the 15mm thickness. The two thickest that I have seen first hand are the 2013 Great Wall From Shanghai to Jiayu Pass 2-part Brass and Copper medal set (each half appears thicker than 15mm) http://www.luckpawnshop.com/shanghai-new-century-2013-great-wall-80mm-china-medal-p-445.html .

Also see here: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-62267-chinese-medals-silver-isn-t-the-only-composition.html

And the other medal that comes to mind is the 2012 Dazu Rock Carvings (second in series) medal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-2012-Silver-Medal-Dazu-Rock-Carvings-2nd-Issue-/151094113829

These are fat (and phat) medals! :)

13. Gatito Bandito

Somebody who doesn't mind owning raw needs to be the guinea pig, and buy one of each -- so they can measure for me. :p

Or, a seller of these could always measure & report the findings..

Otherwise, I'm not taking any chances. :)

14. mmissinglink

I like raw medals as well as fatty-slab medals but right now I have to chill on additional purchases. My credit card is complaining of cramps from carrying my debt around. :)

15. Gatito Bandito

Yep, my budget has taken a beating since last September or so..

Though fortunately, also crossed off a lot on my shopping list, in the process.

Making one good push with a few sellers (across a few Ag categories) to end with a bang, then I'll be scaling back for a while to recoup.

So, nobody come out with anything cool for a few months, okay? Thanks! :lol:

16. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

here we go. the mammouth, on MEGA SALE. Must Admit, even I picked some up. LOL. At 69.00, how can you go wrong, especially when these were selling for 200+. Good deal for us, bad for those who bought at 200.00+. OUCH. :(

http://www.luckpawnshop.com/shangha...ries-mammoth-china-coin-50mm-medal-p-495.html

edit: my bad. thanks Elkslayer for pointing out the difference in size. You are right. The 190- 200.00 price for 90m, I think is a good one, considering that it's almost twice the size, which gives it a uniqueness. Maybe if they come down a little in price, I may buy a 90m too. Again, thanks for the heads up. BUT, I agree 69 for a 50m isn't a bad price. On ebay they are ranging from 84 - 100.00. Direct is always cheaper. :D

edit2: Another difference that was just pointed out to me, which is a pretty big one I think, and that is, the smaller one can be graded due to size. The bigger one I was told wouldn't fit in slabs. (thanks Andy for the heads up)

17. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

That is for the 50mm version not the 90mm, i think i would rather have the larger one but great price anyways

18. andrewlee10

50 mm is grade able 90 mm not sure.

I get 4 pcs 50 mm and decide to work with bob

19. Gatito Bandito

Must find out if 90mm diameter can be graded, please!

NGC oversized holder can accommodate up to 15mm thickness..

http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/holders/oversize.aspx

If it can be graded, I might buy a big one.. :D

But have to be definitely sure. No raw for me!

Let us know here soon, Andrew. Others might be interested, too.. $$$

Thanks!

20. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

Will this come out in silver too?