The future of gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by mmm....shiney!, Dec 31, 2017.

1. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

Sounds like something aoc would say! And we could build solar train tracks to the asteroid to reduce co2.

2. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

lol there are enough brainless people to believe it.

mrsilverservice likes this.
  3. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

https://www.dnb.nl/en/payments/goud/index.jsp

https://www.kitco.com/news/2019-10-...onal-Bank-prepares-for-economic-doomsday.html

In gold we trust; Dutch National Bank prepares for economic doomsday
    David Lin Monday October 14, 2019 11:39

Kitco News

[​IMG]
    (Kitco News) - The way to survive a total collapse of the economic system is to hold gold, said the Dutch National Bank (DNB) in an article published on their website.

In the note, the DNB calls the yellow metal an "anchor of trust" that is able to retain its value "even in times of crisis."

"Gold is the perfect piggy bank – it's the anchor of trust for the financial system. If the system collapses, the gold stock can serve as a basis to build it up again," the DNB said. "Gold bolsters confidence in the stability of the central bank's balance sheet and creates a sense of security."

The DNB currently holds 600 tonnes of gold, with reserves scattered around the world.

About a third, or 31% of the DNB's gold reserves, valued at over EUR 6 billion, are held in their head office in Amsterdam, with another third, about 31% in the Federal Reserve bank in New York. The remaining 38% are stored in Canada and the U.K.

Foreign holdings used to account for a higher portion of total gold held by the DNB but the bank has retrieved part of it in 2014, in line with a host of European central banks that have, in the past few years, repatriated their gold, including Germany, Italy, and Hungary.

Although equity valuations remain buoyant, recession fears are rising, with several prominent investors this year, like Ray Dalio, publicly praising gold's benefits.

"A bar of gold always retains its value, crisis or no crisis. This creates a sense of security. A central bank's gold stock is therefore regarded as a symbol of solidity," the DNB said.

Gold is only a fraction of the reserves portfolio held by the DNB. In total, the central bank manages EUR 38 billion in financial assets that "serve to substantiate confidence in the Dutch financial system and to support the common European monetary policy and DNB's financial stability mission."

These assets not only include gold, but also Dollar, Yen, and Euro, as well as equities and corporate bonds.

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting timing, let alone who it is shouting out this time.

5. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They can kiss their NY gold goodbye!

6. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

https://www.kitco.com/news/2019-10-...onal-Bank-prepares-for-economic-doomsday.html

"In the note, the DNB calls the yellow metal an "anchor of trust" that is able to retain its value "even in times of crisis."

"Gold is the perfect piggy bank – it's the anchor of trust for the financial system. If the system collapses, the gold stock can serve as a basis to build it up again," the DNB said. "Gold bolsters confidence in the stability of the central bank's balance sheet and creates a sense of security."

"A bar of gold always retains its value, crisis or no crisis. This creates a sense of security. A central bank's gold stock is therefore regarded as a symbol of solidity," the DNB said."

Central banks understand there is a global world wide theft of precious metals in progress using the financial system as a decoy ...

7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

if no crisis, gold can be your umbrella just in case it rains so is it 5% of your portfolio composition ?
    in case of Hagibis, you need much more than that, maybe 30% ?
    to rebuild again you need at least 10%?
    to protect your everything, you should be penniless in the banks

just imagine your portfolio is just 100k, for a mere 5k, would that be enough ???
    will 2kg be enough ???
    if the banks want it, YOU WANT THEM EVEN MORE !!! GOLD

sctpc, Number 47 and 66rounds like this.
  8. Number 47

Number 47 Well-Known Member

MEME2019-10-16-09-03-55.jpg
    I personally think a couple kilos or five of gold would be sufficient...Just as soon as I work out where I put that briefcase full of cash.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    66rounds likes this.
  9. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Kilos? How about this?

It suddenly occurred to me, this is too bulky and no use for an official in China.

This thing is heavy, nearly 13 kilos, but worth only $600k a piece. A person will have difficulty carrying just 2 or 3 pieces. Those chinese officials, even the small city officials could easily have a couple hundred million dollars worth of loot at home. You will need a couple hundred of those to launder them all out, which is simply impossible. You would be lucky just to get 1 piece across airport immigration.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Number 47 likes this.
  10. alor

did you asked how many have they sold so far ?

JohnnyBravo300 likes this.
  11. sgbuyer

I suppose none, the serial 0819 is the same one.

12. alor

there are buyer who store their metals there, there are people who take delivery
    that one is a display bar, in stock also 1

13. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't understand the 5% or 10% portfolio thing as protection.
    Let's say you have a $90k stock portfolio and $10k gold, and the market crashes 50%. You are down $45k. Gold has to go up 4.5 times to compensate (almost AU$10k gold). Not going to happen.

66rounds likes this.
  14. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don’t think a 50% wide market crash can be hedged, Black Monday was about 22%. The 5-10% can just help smooth waters during small crisis or fluctuations.

Edit to add: and let's not forget you're also holding property, gold stocks, silver, USD, AUD and nowadays BTC. ;)

66rounds likes this.
  15. sgbuyer

Speaking of stock crash, I’m thinking of getting into silver or gold miner ETF. Silver miners are surprisingly cheap but still risky. If gold drops to sub $1450, might get some GDX? Let’s see.

66rounds and mmm....shiney! like this.
  16. mmm....shiney!

Gold is money.

Stocks/bonds/property/interest bearing accounts are investments.

USD and AUD are credit notes.

Cryptos are...a bit of everything. :p So maybe 2-3% of a portfolio depending upon the individual's risk profile?

66rounds likes this.
  17. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

I treat gold as cash that is a hedge against the AUD, a hedge against the stock market somewhat, with the added potential advantage of some organic growth.
    I can convert my gold into cash in my account within a few days if I need it.
    So at the moment I'm not keeping much cash in the bank, just a working buffer, I prefer to move any spare over to my metal account.

18. mmm....shiney!

I view it as a cash hedge too.

Silver260 and sgbuyer like this.
  19. alor

this is to illustrate that 1 size fit all is truly dangerous for each individual
    your shirt should fit your body, rather then let another body tell you your size
    how do you know you have eaten enough? you would feel full, how can the next body feel when they are not the one stacking

20. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

People dont lose family fortunes and end up penniless in the gutter because they bought gold.
    That should tell you everything you need to know about what is real and what is not.

SilverDJ likes this.