The foundation of our modern economy, BS fake jobs.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by leo25, Mar 9, 2023.

?

What percentage of jobs are BS?

1. 0-25%

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. 25-50%

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. 50-75%

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 75+%

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And we wonder why we have inflation. Too many people producing nothing, yet consuming everything.

Real $ likes this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

So you've obviously jettisoned your support for a UBI?

Edit to add: You need another multiple choice option that represents the Classical and Austrian economic view: "I can't say because value is entirely subjective".

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  3. leo25

I still support a clean bottom up UBI over our current top down fake job creation in order to maintain social stability.

precious roar and sammysilver like this.
  4. mmm....shiney!

Ok, so paying people to eat, shit and breathe is okay?

But paying people to do jobs you don't value is not?

Where does producing stupid Youtube vids fit in? Or is that just me not seeing any value in the clip you posted? :rolleyes:

5. leo25

No, I support people choosing to create their own idea of value, rather than government and indirect government industries deciding what people should do.

Sure some people will do nothing and waste their time with UBI, but that changes nothing as those people are on the dole now doing nothing. But most will be freed to do something more productive and meaningful with their time, instead of wasting their day in an office doing some meaningless tasks which was created with the sole purpose to keep someone busy and give them a stable income in order to maintain social stability. So in a way what we have now is just a more clunky inefficient and restrictive version of UBI, just most people don’t know it.

precious roar likes this.
  6. leo25

As long as the stupid videos was created due to their own free choice then it’s fine with me. If government was paying people to create stupid videos that had to comply with a controlled script, then I would be opposed.

7. mmm....shiney!

I wouldn't see any value in those types of videos as well. Just like when the government uses a UBI to pay people to do nothing except eat, shit and breathe.

8. leo25

But that happens now in the current system, just you can’t see or understand it yet. Just like how people can’t understand money creation and government “debt” and if memory serves me correct you were once one of those people. But with enough time you saw past the BS and saw how it really works.

9. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So much value is created by manipulating the underclasses or the uneducated. Or even selling a dream of status to those that already have status. Per my signature I think Johnny's Blue label is one of the best examples of this. Better than a Rolex because even a bum can parade around with a bottle and it's a cheap status-upgrade.

The more we subsidise the lower classes the more they will be taken advantage of. The 'BS jobs' aren't just a function of easy money imo... it's a technological advantage of innovators and first-movers. We don't exactly need a better tractor anymore.

10. mmm....shiney!

Yes, they should have jobs opening doors, being a receptionist, keeping stock inventories. Hang on the stupid video reckons those jobs should be replaced because they're not valuable. Better to pay those people to stay at home painting flowerpots for sale on etsy. I'll open my own doors and find my own way around office blocks I've never been into before.

11. mmm....shiney!

I don't want "fake down" jobs any more than I want "fake up" jobs. Pay people to satisfy needs that are currently going unaddressed. In the public sector firstly, then in the private sector.

12. leo25

I agree, BS jobs are created because we no longer need so many people to do all the important needed jobs. So government create fake unproductive jobs in order to keep people employed. (Unproductive jobs are more scalable and why it’s the prefered option) My view just differs in that I think it’s better to let the individual choose what to do with their time instead of government forcing them to do a meaningless brain dead job in order to get a payment.

Both are there just to maintain social order, just different ways to go about it.

Also the fake BS job are not on the lower end, but the higher end jobs.

13. leo25

You once had the same response with MMT :)

14. leo25

That’s not what me or the video is saying. The fake BS jobs don’t do something as useful as opening a door, they literally do nothing of value to anyone.

They are the jobs where if it went away no one would ever notice. I would notice if the door man went away, so the door man can stay.

15. heartastack

Coincidentally I went for a run tonight with two mates in gov job, both extremely intelligent. Both extremely lazy and endlessly talking about how good it is.

16. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

UBI will spiral into everyone sitting on their arse and all of the menial tasks performed by the often unseen and unrecognised people who keep society functioning would not be done.

Simple example, someone gets UBI so they don't have to work anymore and they'd like nothing better than to sip their pina colada by the beach. well guess what, there's no more alcohol service because that bartender also just got their UBI and would like nothing more than to go travelling, but they can't go to their fancy holiday in the Swiss Alps because the baggage handler also got UBI, and they'd rather be gardening at home. The former baggage handler can't buy the new bag of potting mix cos there's no one stocking the shelves at Bunnings, that Bunnings kid just got his UBI and would rather pick up girls at his highschool instead of working on the weekend at Bunnings, the kid can't get laid cos the shop assistant doesn't need to restock the condom section of the shop aisle cos guess what, she just got UBI... and so on. I could go on and on, nothing would ever get done, no one would be able to do what they want to do because it relies on someone else doing something they wouldn't otherwise do unless they were paid for their time and labour.

Ag bullet and heartastack like this.
  17. heartastack

Damn right. UBI is the kids getting $200 a week pocket money vs me doing a 5km paper-round. It's not even about the money it's about the mind-set.

Ag bullet likes this.
  18. leo25

Imagine what useful things they might do if they got the same pay, but now had the freedom to do what they like with their intelligent mind instead of a government middleman assignment? Maybe you can ask them next time you see them? Be interesting to hear their response.

19. heartastack

I mean, they literally don't care about that. They think the private sector = 'working for the man' (ironic?). "Yeah we have a rule no whatsapp or email messages after 5pm! our stress levels are way down and we get family time. Fuck work."

20. leo25

Not if you can access UBI after say the age of 21. Then all the young people will want to do the basic tasks to get some money. Also adults will still want to do basic tasks in order to make more than what the UBI pays. Just as many people do more then one basic job in order to get more income.