The EU-USA preparing brutal sanctions against Russia

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Jul 24, 2014.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Following the shoot-down of the Malaysian airliner, the EU and the USA are even harsher with Russia - the media is full of news about possible brutal sanctions.
    (Although we still don't know who shot the plane down, the West is very quick on wanting to sanction Russia).

The new sanctions would be far worse than what happened in April... and they could lead to a global trade & financial war.

What's happening now is more similar to an embargo plan. Some of the worst plans are about export-import bans (to- and from Russia) and includes even dual use (civil use & military use) products, products like equipment used in the energy industry, total ban on arms purchases from Russia, they would also make Russia's life impossible by cutting it off financially.

Of course, "making Russia's life financially impossible" would mean things like:
    -EU would ban all investments in Russia (by any EU entity, including small firms) - cutting it off from capital inflow from the EU
    -EU projects that financed certain activities in Russia were already stopped
    -cutting Russia out of the international banking systems (much of this has already happened)
    -making it impossible for Russia to sell its most well-selling products: weaponry, commodities, energy industry-related equipment

My guess is Russia would hit back on oil, natural gas and they'd simply avoid the West and team up with the BRICs, Iran, Venezuela and others.

Jim Rickards warned of financial wars and many others have warned us of trade wars. What's unfolding right now includes them all: trade wars, currency wars, financial wars...

The west is trying to "strangle" Russia economically (During recent years, Russia's GDP growth has indeed slowed down, not recovering from the 2008 crisis - decreasing again).

I must say the West seems vary naive. I wouldn't like to feel Russia's reaction to all of the threats and sanctions.

In addition to Russia, a large number of other countries (rivals of the West) probably can't wait to get teamed up with Russia.
    Excluding Russia is almost impossible - it's the size of a huge continent, so they can sustain themselves, even if the West tries to isolate them. They'd just shake hands with the BRICs, Iran, Latin American countries and probably several small nations.
    The situation would simply lead to another cold war era with a split World. West vs. East.

So far, most of the "sanctions" are just threats, but if the West would indeed launch the offensive, it will certainly affect precious metal prices. This could fuel the bulls for gold.

The media is full of news on this issue, I just wanted to share my opinion.
    We will read and hear more about the new sanctions in the coming days.

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol:
    Pigs ass anything happens
    Where does most of EU energy supply come from

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is grave robbing regarded as a war crime?

4. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Word around the camp fire is that Germany has approx. 3,000 businesses operating in Russia, and the Germans rely on 30% of their energy from Russia.
    If they leave the EU and the euro, France will follow suit.

The American government and their handlers I feel have made some real mistakes this time.

If we as Australians are roped into any conflict in Europe, I reckon there should be debate on having a referendum. And if that get's over the line, then we have ourselves to blame.

It's time to mind our own business !

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We'll do what USA tells us to.
    Germany will leave the EU and keep dealing with Russia.

6. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+100

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

But Germany doesn't need fossil fuels at all! The wind provides all of their electricity needs. Christine Milne said so.

8. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmm, why would the Germans listen to the US who have been caught spying on them?

9. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A major geo-political war would make a good excuse for hiding an impending global finacial collapse in the west. Financial crisis = Putin's fault not your governments

10. TreasureHunter

That's what I thought to: the West could split. Germany-Central Europe-Russia and the "very West" will remain with the USA.

After all, the BRICs own the most natural resources, have the biggest workforce. Tremendous advantages vs. the West.

Putin, Merkel and Hungary's Prime Minister Orbn (in front of Merkel) watching a World Cup match in Brazil:
    [img=http://images.smh.com.au/2014/07/14/5594036/1405307337319.jpg-620x349.jpg][/img]
    (source: http://www.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cu...-the-world-cup-vvip-list-20140714-zt6m4.html)

Discussing at a soccer match is a good idea - because no-one is listening :p

Hungary's situation is also interesting. The country has strong trade ties with Germany (many German investments, such as car factories) and they're strengthening ties with Russia (and attracting a lot of criticism from the EU).

Russia and Germany might connect in the future and the area between them - the Central European countries (strategically located between them) will play an important role.

Of course, it would be a "nightmare" to the UK, France, the USA, if the Germans shake hands with the Russians.

"Europe's engine" (Germany) has greater ambitions this time.
    I see a major power that had few chances for fully living its status as a great power, having so many rivals in the West.
    Perhaps Germany will turn to the east this time?

11. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Correct it is just sabre rattling

Obummer wont make any sanction that will have any effect.

If war did break out I know which side I would ahve my money on ( hint it aint the country with a monkey in charge)

Death to America

12. TreasureHunter

Gosh, that's so naive :lol:

Let us all grow wings and a flight around the Moon tonight and have picking afterwards :lol:

The EU is DEAD without the Russian gas. Windpower can't substitute natural gas.
    Don't forget all the other raw material imported from Russia. Also: Russia is a great buyer of German products. So it's an important market for Germany. The latter will miss out on a lot of income, should Russia be sanctioned.

13. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

One way of tying the EU even closer to the US if the US has anything to do with alternative energy sources............ ooops, wasn't there supposed to be a pipeline thingy from somewhere in the Middle East up to Europe? Wouldn't have anything to do with some of the conflicts going on own there in the sandy part of the world perhaps?

14. lucky luke

A bit late......... we've already made ourselves a defacto contributor to NATO. "For Empire!" only this time it'll be for Empire USA rather than Empire Britania.

15. TreasureHunter

There are many more pipelines between Russia and Europe.

Russia is just too big of a bear to be strangled easily by the West. I see the Ukraine as puppet in between. Russia can cut their gas off, but still send gas to the West.

16. lucky luke

Because Germany is still unofficially occupied by the USA?

17. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:)
    Court Jester.......that's twice now ! :)

You're listed man, and couldn't give a rats'
    excellent work.

:)

18. lucky luke

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes sometimes I forget we are living in a country with a puppet gov controlled by the USA

20. betterinvestmentthanshare

betterinvestmentthanshare Active Member

I'm thinking the same....................................one thing though.................................and that is the US stock market.......................which is the only thing holding back the US................................I'm thinking the US stock market is being protected at all cost..........................and consistent medium volume movement in the market will be a give away prior to the US making its move on Russia.