The Earth is flat?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by boneyard, Dec 23, 2016.

1. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Active Member Silver Stacker

No need to chuck a tantie because you weren't right about everything, isn't being right about most things good enough for you :D

2. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

What was I wrong about? Man took the wolf and through the process of selective evolution created different dog breeds. Is that statement incorrect? It's not and you bringing up the African wild dogs doesn't invalidate my statement either. SO...what's your point?

3. radiobirdman

There was no point, apart from the fact not all dogs come from wolfs, natural selection might have played a part in the breeding of dogs as well

4. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

Ok. I never made the claim that "all dogs came from wolfs" so I still don't see what you're going on about?

5. radiobirdman

6. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

Sill not the same thing as saying "all dogs come from wolves". The subject of that sentence is evolution.

7. radiobirdman

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgwTe01kMU[/youtube]

8. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Sorry, but you are saying that because there is clear evidence in one area, it means that the other area, that LOOKS related (but is actually not) is also true --> by association.

Evolution (as described by Charles Darwin) is not "change over time." This is what it has EVOLVED (hahah) into. Darwin's Theory of Evolution is about mutations in species that CHANGES THEM into new ones that have never existed before. BOOM! Wow, now we have FISH/BIRDS/MAN.

The whole bird beak thing in his book is natural selection. The birds are all the same species. Sure, there is huge differences, but they are all STILL BIRDS. No new species. Likewise with the moths and the whole soot on trees. Natural selection. No NEW SPECIES. You can point the finger at me blah blah. Put your guns down bro. Seriously. Take a pill.

They are two separate things. I can hot up my Holden as much as I like, but it won't turn into an airbus. They are totally different species. There is no EVIDENCE, you know... that thing that means it speaks for itself... of new-species change. Every fossil EVER found is a totally different species. Even Archaeopteryx is not seen as a "missing link" as the feathers are completely formed AS FEATHERS TODAY. There is no "half scale/half feather" or "half bird/half reptile" features. This is why science is still labels it "Theory" as there is no proof.

Relax man, it is Christmas! Have a drink. Dig in your coal mine and look for a fossil to prove your beliefs. I will be there to share a beer with you when you find it.

Shiny.

9. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hahaha, never thought I'd see this creationist nonsense here :lol:

The above seems to be based on articles published by the Institute for Creation Research that "equips believers with evidence of the Bible's accuracy and authority".

It's so old that even an ancient SciAm article tears it apart. Of course, creationists don't like such science when it goes against their dogma.

10. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

Natural selection is part of evolution.

Natural selection is when the workings of nature dictate what will survive. For example, a litter of multicolored mice is born in a snowy region. It's the white mice who are camouflaged against the snow. They're not seen well by predators. Instead it's their brown, black, and grey siblings that get spotted and eaten. Eventually only mice with white fur survive in this arctic environment. So that means only mice with white fur are able to breed. Now when the mice have litters all but one or two is white. That is the natural order of things. Hence natural selection.

I'm actually mad that you can be an adult(I'm assuming) and still not understand these simple concepts.

Smh...

11. SpacePete

He won't listen. He is a Creationist and will reject all evidence that does not reinforce his dogmatic position.

12. radiobirdman

I reject all evolution theory's

13. radiobirdman

At least until the Abo's invent the wheel

14. radiobirdman

Or my grandkids turn black from living in a sunny country

15. SpacePete

That's almost a poem.

16. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To be fair, although the underlying concepts are fairly straightforward the real world mechanisms and implications are not. The use of language that implies precision and black and white concepts in the context of biology (which requires "fuzzier", distribution type language) also allows a lot of very smart people to have misguided thinking on the issue.

Take the simplified concept of "species". Although it is a useful descriptor for many purposes there are so many exceptions or difficulties in applying the word that increasingly biologists have to resort to using concepts such as species complex, species groups or superspecies.

17. SpacePete

Its difficult to nail down because evolution is a process, and everything is, as you said, very fuzzy, while the language used often attempts to reify such continuous change as a concrete, unchanging spatial extensions.

Maybe its something like:

18. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Which is really intriguing when one considers that one's understanding of the material world is achieved by interpretation of concepts applied to things perceived as existentially distinct.

Buddhism, on the other hand, calls this interdependence between things Causality, or dependent origination; the true nature of things as being void of intrinsic reality or independent existence, Sunyata; and the inability to comprehend and see the workings of Sunyata and Causality, Ignorance. Ignorance gives rise to Anger and Greed and together give rise to cyclical existence through the action of karma. While understanding Sunyata and Causality and seeing their effects everywhere constitutes Wisdom, or more accurately Transendental Wisdom.

19. radiobirdman

If we evolved from monkeys why......... you know the rest
    How long does this evolution stuff take anyway, and have we reached the peak of human evolution?, looking at some of the youngers we seem to be going backward.
    Will us Aussie's eventually turn black over time ? is a bloody hot country , I recon we will be Abo's soon global warming and all
    free money for every sunburnt cunt ry

20. SpacePete

I don't know them all, but here's a few:

If God created Adam from dirt and clay, why do we still have dirt and clay?

If Christians came from Jews, why are there still Jews?

If we are descendants of our grandparents why do we still have cousins?

If most Americans came from Europeans, why are there still Europeans?

If English came from Latin, why is there still Italian?