The creeping tide of CENSORSHIP.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Gullintanni, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well thanks Jim, there's always some common ground ;)

I recall we agreed on something else once, before we knew one another!

I don't have a simple answer to this issue, but I don't think very much of the simplistic thinking being displayed here.

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As far as im aware yes it is

While its legal yes

I do not make or decide the laws my self , no one person should EVER do this so it is not my place to suggest anything. We live in a society that has a system of laws built on what is generally the moral standards the community is willing to accept built over a long-standing period of time this is enacted into legislation by our elected representives. This moral shifting is constantly changing where what may be deemed acceptable at one point in time could very well change in time with teh shifting moral standards of society.

Censorship only looks to crotroll and change this flow for those in powers own benefit / agenda and should be resisted in any form.

3. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Wrong.

You all are looking at this from the point of view of you, the viewer. Under US law, when someone films themselves they create an automatic copyright in the video produced. The fact that this 12 year old filmed herself and is dead, her parents now hold that copyright. If they decide to not allow sites or individuals to distribute this film now (by posting links or streaming video), they hold that right and I don't have a problem with sites being forced to remove it on those grounds, not because of the video's contents per se. Even if the girl knowingly distributed the video, it wouldn't give current holders of the video the right to distribute it online or otherwise. It would be no different than trying to upload and provide a stream to a hollywood movie.

Just my opinion.

Jim

4. Court Jester

your wrong there is no copyright on the video once it is in the public domain like this and there are sites still hosting it and refuse to take it down and police are powerless to force them to.

care to link to the mythical law you seem to think exists? Is it a felony or misdemeanour? (remember police are powerless to force the take downs -- i.e. no laws broken and civil disputes are not illegal ) so please like me the law this is breaking ill send it to the power less police to give them some power to remove it as you obviously know better than they do.

Stupid americans

but keep talking as the saying goes is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and provem them right.

5. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I could be wrong, but I remember the was a commotion a few years ago when people found out that part of the terms of use agreement for Facebook was that they own (or maybe just can use) any photos you post, I assume it would be the same for livestreams.

6. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Hey Court Jester,

Why don't you read this. It always makes me laugh when the resident fool here tries to insult me, then insult USA, etc. The answer is here in black and white as they say. As usual, the fool will slither away with no apology or admission of being wrong.

Yes, you retain your COPYRIGHT when you post on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/help/193430577370347

Please note facebook is not the issue here, they have taken it down. Anyone who obtained the video from facebook before it was removed would in theory still have the right to hold the video for personal use but not to sell or distribute - I am not taking into account the fact that the girl was 12 and per facebook's rules, she was not allowed to post - their rules say 13 is the minimum age). Facebook's rules regarding copyright, etc, are in part to protect facebook when third party users do things with the video/picture once placed on facebook after the fact. Facebook cannot enlarge the rights of these 3rd parties (infringers) simply because the video/photo appeared on their site at one time, ie, you cannot say because a video/photo was posted on facebook at one time that a party who received it there can do whatever they want with it later such as sell it or distribute it (most likely a possessor of the video can keep it legally for their own use).

To col0016, this instance is not about facebook using someone's posted pictures/videos in ways not anticipated by the original poster of said video/photo such as in advertisements or promotions by facebook on the site, etc..

Next,

How is your copyright created you might ask? Very easily. Looky here, see the 4th question specifically (the rest is worth reading too):

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork

What happens to copyright violators? IN THE US copyright infringers face civil and sometimes criminal repercussions (yes jail is possible in some instances). This is just a very brief overview I found quickly:

https://www.lib.purdue.edu/uco/CopyrightBasics/penalties.html

Source of US copyright law,

Here are some of the US federal laws regarding copyright for those who unfortunately don't know where US copyright laws come from (and folks say I am stupid?) Generally to face jail requires commercial distribution or gain from the copyright material, thus most lower level copyright infringers don't go to jail:

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#506

PS The remedy I was thinking of for the parents when I wrote my original post was injunctive relief- where a court forces a site to remove the video by court order. If outside the US and in a country that does not cooperate with the US on copyright laws, then the copyright holder could be out of luck practically speaking. But that would not mean the holder lost their copyright rights, instead it could mean that for all practical purposes said rights are unenforceable due to jurisdictional issues.

PSS Further, my original post was referring to infringers who post or distribute the video, not people who retain their own copy for personal viewing.

Just my opinion.

Jim

7. Court Jester

again stupid american, again what law was broken? Is it a felony or misdemeanour?

again it is not against the law i.e. illegal as it is a civil matter there are plenty of sites in the usa still hosting this content, and again because it is not ILLEGAL as i said the police are powerless to remove it because it is NOT ILLEGAL. again for the stupid american here, a civil matter is NOT make it illegal.

stupid american idio you still cant not telll me what law it has broken like I asked, and is it a felony or misdemenor?. Again ignorant american if it was illegal it would ahve been taken down allready.

and even if your copy rifht argument held any water (which it does not) the manner it was posted and distributed by the creater of the content it is now in the publis domain and has no enforcable copyright and furthur to that copy right would not pass to her parents automatically even when stupid american are wrong they are VERY wrong.

8. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Every time you post an anti-USA diatribe I can't help but sit in awe of your clearly enormous intellect.

9. Court Jester

thanks, intelligent people despise the united states and want to see it burn.

only the gullible weak feeble minded support it and its war mongering people and ways.

10. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I was surprised that certain legitimate words are censored when used "within" a discussion and discussion context? I can understand a heading being censored as to not attract unwanted visitors to this site via internet searchers of said words but banning legitimate words is strange to me?

The mods give a very long leash on this site especially to name calling or demeaning the character of others so you have to wonder why certain words are banned and for why?

11. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's the greedy and power hungry US government, intelligence agencies, military and the military industrial complex who are warmongers/bad that are making all Americans look bad. Most Americans are good decent people and are against wars. They were fooled into wars in the past (Iraq, Afganistan, ect) but not anymore. Do you see any support from Americans for what the US is currently doing in the EU against Russia, Syria or even China with disputed islands?

The US government is bad, not the people.

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Your idea of intelligence is clearly warped. No sane or mentally stable person wants to see a country burn. Intelligent people with stable minds do not make statements like the one that you posted.

13. col0016

col0016 Active Member

No sane person wants to see the largest economy in the world collapse.

14. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Active Member Silver Stacker

I could think of a few, that could do with being wiped from the face of the planet
    Wont mention any names
    Don't want to upset the lefty snowflakes

15. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

16. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

17. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

Project Veritas has put new videos out recently. This time it's undercover video of anarchist groups planing to stinkbomb events and when it's ok to punch people in the throat. (right away, they say the best time to punch someone in the the throat is straight away.)
    And I bet pretty much nobody here knows that is a thing. You can bet if it was Trump supporters planing violence, it would be receiving wall to wall coverage.
    why is that?
    Because everything the media tells you is a lie, a half truth, or a distraction.

on the plus side, I lost that bet that Trump wouldn't be inaugurated.