The anti-capitalistic mentality

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by bordsilver, Feb 16, 2014.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

That is why an adherence to voluntarism/libertarianism/anarchism is the most suitable or "most perfect" system. Such a system has the narrowest set of definitions guiding human behaviour out of all the "isms" ie don't hurt other people or their property. A guiding principle as remotely removed from a centralised hierarchical structure as can exist, whilst still maintaining the liberty of the individual.

2. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

:) I think you make my argument better than I do, but the point is missed. That is that it is not possible to have utopian ideologies that deny or ignore those that seek power and control. They will, as you show so well, have out.

It may well be considered extreme, but I am thinking it might actually be more balanced in so far as acknowledging that there is no perfect ideology and not getting carried away with unrealistic hopes. The greedy will corrupt and usurp, the lazy will demand a share, the egalitarians will provide it at the expense of others, the pragmatists will compromise against virtue, the self-reliant who want to be left alone will be disappointed, the abusive will enforce and the theorists will theorise.

Again, I'm just illustrating how things have devolved. As you illustrate so well, the integrity of institutions and the consistent rule of law that was the backbone of the geo-political success of the British empire and the starting point of the American Republic have been undermined.

I do agree. But suspect the benefits are not enduring and the ideological starting points are not where things remain.

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Corruption will occur. Immoral people (or people who act immorally) will still exist and seek to do bad things by others. Sheeple will jump onto bandwagons, disregarding the longer term consequences of doing so. As per the discussions in the opening few posts, the best way of dealing with such people/situations is to have healthy competition across all institutions especially ones of governance, policing, justice etc. If we didn't have a monopolist semi-immune from the rule of law at the heart of each nation then I strongly believe that we'd be seeing far more creative destruction within the roles currently serviced by local, state and federal governments. Entities would be naturally smaller and accountable via the power of the sovereign consumer.

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

As James Ostrowski argues in a link I put up on the "Beyond Democracy" thread, Utopian ideologies are self-contradictory. They fail to understand the reality of humans and human behaviour: