The 1st US Presidential debate of 2016

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mmissinglink, Sep 27, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

If the results of this debate is any indication of how voting will go in November, then it's safe to say that Clinton will win in a landslide.

2. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Link to results?

3. mmissinglink

4. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I tried.

Hillary was more professional, disciplined and polished....

....but that doesn't mean I think she won.

There are some online polls showing up that claim different results. It was a bit painful to watch at times but overall it probably was pretty much as expected with no real surprises. No clear winner, same policy points and counter-points made as has been through the campaign. Probably a bit of a waste of time in hindsight.

5. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I tried watching some of it but couldn't stand the BS that was coming out of Hillary's mouth. Her rant about how the financial system is much better now and well regulated today was what made me switch off.

Hillary came off as being very unprofessional. See sounded like someone that just finished uni and has no real world experience, but thinks they know it all.

From the bit i watched Trump walked all over Hillary. I think it's pathetic that as a debate all Hillary could do was regurgitate a rehearsed speech. Someone should explain to her what a debate is.

6. leo25

link to full speech.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu6SDsn99_8[/youtube]

7. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I watched it live in its entirety.

As per my pursuit of intellectual honesty, I tried listening to Donald Trump by literally focusing on his words.

To his credit, he manged to speak with reserve, dignity expected of someone to be elected to the position of POTUS...for most the first twenty minutes.

Then it was the all too familiar...

...the same willingness to ignore objective facts, relying instead on unverifiable anecdotes...

...the same no-detail policy statements, appealing to vague generalities with one-liners like "we don't win anymore"...

...the same dog-whistle racial vilification, advocating discriminatory measures like Terry stops without probably cause ('stop-and-frisk'), which the U.S. District Court in the state of New York has already ruled as unConstitutional...

...the same ad hominem personal attacks about:
    -her health; FDR was immobilized with polio, JFK had Addison's disease, Ronald Reagan was suffering from early stage Parkinsons late in his term
    -her marriage; by using low-ball tactics like inviting Gennifer Flowers, one of Bill's dalliances

...the same backpedaling on claims he's previous made, when there is literally video record of him making these claims in his own voice (example: his advocacy for military intervention in Syria)...

This person appeals to all the worst instincts found in humankind.

8. leo25

Yea those points describe Hillary very well. :cool:

But yea they are both idiots, just Hillary already has blood on her hands and has already proven she is a joke.

9. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You missed a comma when you deleted the Trump-specific statements.

I did not claim Hillary was innocent, saintly or unblemished.

It's uncontested that Trump has done well for himself in the real estate and hotel business (when you cast aside some of his more questionable business practices) where the objective is to maximize financial returns for at least some of the owners and investors.

Yet this fundamental difference is what makes him unfit for the highest public office, a government doesn't exist to turn a net profit and provide a financial ROI.

Donald J. Trump has never held a single public office, elected or otherwise, at the Federal, State or Local Government level.

How could he, with no experience in public sector, know how to deal with the myriad of agencies that operate the civil service, the legislature and the courts?

The private sector equivalent would be an economics professor without any commercial experience seeking to be made the Chief Financial Officer of a Fortune 500 company. No sane Board of Directors would pick this professor.

10. leo25

Well for a start the president doesn't deal with anything these days and is just a public face. That's why George bush was able to be president. Where was all the change Obama promised? oh again he doesn't do anything.

I don't know why people still think choosing left or right will change anything (these days) The train goes in the same direction, but just has different colours.

-That's why the financial system is more corrupt then every
    -More wars that are unclear
    -Larger gap between poor and rich
    -No pollution control that they keep promising.
    -They claim to work hard for peace, then blast all over the media that another race wants to kill us all and we have to kill them first.
    the list can go on...

[​IMG]

11. ego2spare

ego2spare Active Member

+100,000
    Its crazy how not everyone sees this.
    I just heard on the news that kim Kardashian endorsed hillary....
    The Kardashians are smarter than most the stackers on this site. :rolleyes: basket of deplorables...

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it showed that Trump will rehearse the next one.

13. ego2spare

ego2spare Active Member

If trump dosent get the response he wants from this debate, and he realizes that he dosent need the debates to get ahead or it might be doing him harm, because he has no chance against hillary. He will find excuses to not have another debate. A few weeks ago everyone was shocked he agreed to this one.

14. JulieW

He missed quite a few opportunities to nail her - especially when she used Bill's economic record.

He had the kid gloves on so he didn't look like a bully and looked 'presidential'. Likely the first time he's been nervous, and he's trying to impress everyone who hates Clinton and wants a reason to vote for Trump. On that basis he probably won a few votes, with "Slick Willy" replaced by "Super rehearsed Hillary".

15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't speak for all, but Trump appeals to some on this forum because he is anti-establishment, as such he presents an opportunity to destroy the system that Hillary is so much a part of. If she is elected President we get another 4 years of the same lies, the same expansionary State, the same deceipt etc etc, if Trump is elected we get a shitstorm, and if his views prevail especially regarding defence then Australia's sovereignty may be sorely tested.

My preference is for the citizens of the USA to opt out entirely, don't vote at all because both candidates are crap. If Hillary wins I'll continue to be disgusted, if Trump wins I'll be worried. I don't know which I'd prefer. I'm suggesting you should tame your antagonism toward trump. :)

16. ego2spare

ego2spare Active Member

U know who else is anti establishment? Almost 8 billion other people on earth. So why trump? Just because hes there right now? I understand what you are saying, that we need to end this never ending madness, take a shot and just elect literally "somone else". I do agree, but trump is NOT the guy we are all looking for. Is everyone just setting aside the obviously crazy, egocentric, elitist, arrogant, misogynistic, Narcissistic, lieing piece of sh*t person that trump is and elect him because he is 'someone else'? And constantly defend everything he does/says just because he is 'somone else'? I feel that the saying 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't' applies to this election perfectly....

17. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, he is a politician after all.

Yes.

And I'd dispute that. ;)

18. leo25

So why Hillary, Just because she's there right now?

It may be the option you like, but not the option everyone is happy with.

19. JulieW

20. mmissinglink

So what would make you think Trump came even remotely close to winning? And I'm talking of course, your personal view....not what some Republican or Democratic pundits may think.

Well put Survivor!

I couldn't find a single question in the entire debate in which Trump answered in a cogent or better (optics-wise) way than Clinton. And I am not voting for Clinton. Trump failed in every conceivable way in the debate. Starting with the very first question he gave no details whatsoever of how he'd put more money into worker's pockets. Instead he resorts to this sort of verbal diarrhea: "We can not let this happen". What sort of person does that drivel actually appeal to anyway?????

Trump is a buffoon; a clown can put together more serious responses than Trump.