Tesla: Wall Street scam in plain sight

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, Feb 25, 2015.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

even in Africa, they have solar
    Indonesia have man powered generations lol
    sure they have newer version of gen, with reduced noise
    I had tiny gen that can last 2.5 hrs before top up...years ago

2. Timmy88

Timmy88 Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't mind a bit of tongue and cheek jokes

But seriously.

I live by 'two is one and one is none' philosophy. Especially for anything critical or semi critical, be at the farm or in the city where I am trapped at the minute. (If you get a flat tyre can you fix it without going to the tyre shop)

For me I'm a planner. I hate running around looking for spare parts in a last minute pinch.

Generators/small engines are a great thing for me and give me huge flexibility and cost effective running costs. It may not be for all, but for me its just as valuable as gold.

I have a large solar set up at the farm, but if I don't use the power it goes back to the grid and I get paid nothing literally.

Problem with power as we all know is storage there is not true solution and Tesla is best described as the title of this thread.

One thing I am currently looking at is Nickel Iron (Ni-FE) Batteries, super long life, you just need to change the electrolyte's every 10-12 years, which is super easy do it yourself, and do water checks every few months.

Timmy

sgbuyer likes this.
  3. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been reading about making hydrogen using solar. Not sure how feasible or cost effective but it's definitely green. Fuel cells are also not cheap.

For any green solution to work in the long term, there must be sufficient resources to power the entire world. Just as there is sufficient silicon and silver (hopefully) to build solar farms in every country.

https://mercomindia.com/australian-researchers-create-green-hydrogen/

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it’s about utilising and storing excess power from renewables when demand is low.

It’s not cost effective at the moment. Maybe in time it may be. And that’s a BIG maybe. But if it happens it’ll be huge. Maybe.

sgbuyer likes this.
  5. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

once China reach their Russian gas capacity and mix, thousands of nuclear generators will be built, same would be for India as well. 3 billions consumers would be using nuclear in the near future + SEA countries

6. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

Didn't all the US car manufacturers get bailouts? and wasn't Tesla the only one (or maybe the first one) to pay it back? I've been following Elon since the PAypal sell and Tesla from their first roadster, I'm only kicking myself I didn't buy shares when they listed or any of the years thereafter when I was really keen for what they were doing. Yeah their stock price is most likely in a bubble but the whole stock market has hit all time highs, while the US has been officially in a recession. The fakesters are starting to show.

7. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

Why feed back to the grid for free when you could just get more battery storage?
    The new lithium solar batteries are much better than the lead acids that I have.
    My son got a lithium, now one battery replaces all the lead acids he was using before, runs his whole cabin, appliances, well and water heater.
    Only disadvantage I believe is the lithium can freeze so they are installed inside.....and the price of course isnt very cheap.
    I prefer the lead acids because I'd rather have the batts outside.

8. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tesla Battery day turned out to be a big flunk.

9. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Flat you reckon? :p

10. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think all the low to medium hanging fruit have been achieved. But new innovations will take much more research, development and time. Where Tesla is at in the battery technology cycle, I dont think most major car companies or major battery manufactueres will think it would be hard to catch up, some might think they are ahead.

Look at VW, BMW, GM, Hyundai or Toyota are all indivdually spending more money on EV research than Tesla, but they are not building many EV cars.... Most people think it is because "they can't" since they dont have the technology when in reality it is "they don't" see a market yet. Just consider that all make 500,000 to over 900,000 cars a months in normal times

Most EV revolution fans in general or Tesla fans don't seem to understand companies like VW, BMW, GM, Hyundai or Toyota don't make mass model cars to lose money.

All of them easily spend hundreds of millions dollars on single concepts, design and trials on EV cars, most do multiple concepts concurrently. None see an issue spending few billions on proof of concept model to the market, knowing they won't break even. Simple reason, with current technology they can't make cars at X amount that masses will buy (masses will be different to each manufacturer ie Hyundai and BMW dont target the same "masses").

Also who cares about million mile battery, it is just hype, no one wants to drive a car for million miles!

If I had a choice I would rather have 100,000 mile battery that cost $3,000 or 200,000 mile battery that cost $5,000 to swap out, than a 1,000,000 mile battery that cost $15,000

Finally some of the manufacturers might not even want to make batteries and just buy them from many battery companies that make them.

As for self driving it is very similar story, some car companies are developing their own, some are partnerning with others or might just buy from any of the companies that are developing them.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    leo25 likes this.