Ten Reasons Not to Abolish Slavery

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by bordsilver, Jun 17, 2014.

1. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Should be known as Colbert's law.

2. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't think they abolished slavery, merely changed it's appearance ;)

3. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do yourself a favour and look up Thomas Sowell, the real history of slavery.... You might be quite surprised and a little less guilt ridden as a white person after reading some of it.

"the ability to score ideological points against American society or Western civilization, or to induce guilt and thereby extract benefits from the white population today, are greatly enhanced by making enslavement appear to be a peculiarly American, or a peculiarly white, crime. Sowell, 2005, 111."

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

lol touche' .. remember the thread on morals ?

5. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

The amount of guilt put up on white men today...

We are guilty for oppressing black people in the past
    We are guilty for oppressing women in the past
    etc, etc

It's like we are born with original sin or something. And our penance is to pay lots of money and say sorry as many times as it is deemed appropriate for us to do so.

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yeah its fkn ridiculous they need to get over it .most of the people responsible are dead now . Why should we feel guilty . Too many bleeding heart fools in positions of power im afraid . Just like the big "sorry " a few years ago wtf was that feel good episode about
    Dwelling on the past is not one of my strongpoints . Tomorrow is all that matters yesterday cant be changed

7. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Some here might quite Thomas Sowell , I came across him only recently while following up an article about the history of slavery and the double standards applied even in today's circumstances with nice young white girls being sold to nice affluent Arab's and African's as sex slaves, yet it is seen as a result of capitalism ....not Racism.

And then you get Gems like these

[​IMG]
    Source:http://thebullelephant.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/thomas-Sowell-parasite-quote.jpg

[​IMG]
    Source: http://shepherdspiehole.typepad.com/.a/6a0167621b7ded970b0191043c5d62970c-pi

8. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Isn't that exactly what almost every modern (thriving) society has done? Thrive off those who produce.

9. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

My take on that is that it was primarily for the Aboriginal elders. It makes it look like they are doing something and gives them respect they probably don't deserve. To strengthen the collective identity of Aboriginals maybe, which, I don't believe exists any more than the collective identity of white people. Whatever, the whole thing was political all the way. Maybe as a way on their (Aboriginal elders) end to get more money from the taxpayers and at the same time be a good political stunt to assauge the collective guilt of white people that had been built up by decades of propaganda. I think the average Aboriginal person on the street was just a political tool to be used in the whole thing.

Just some basic thoughts I have on it. I haven't considered it in enough depth to form anything really coherent but that's the general direction I'm thinking.

+1000

The past can be learned from and any injustices between living people should be resolved.

But the history of the world is a history of invasions and injustice. Some, like myself, would argue it's still ongoing and that we haven't moved past it yet. But I am not even responsible for the sins of my father, never mind any other ancestors.

What I always say is that I want my ancestral lands back in England. :) I don't know if there are any but I, like everyone else, have many, many ancestors and I think I could probably find an instance if I go back long enough which shows where some land of an ancestor was stolen.

10. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Like, a biblical perspective?
    "However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
    ~ ~
    When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

11. Potato

Potato Member

I'm sure all the children born/sold/kidnapped into a life of sex slavery would disagree with this thread. You would have a different opinion if the chains were around your neck and you were forced to open your legs as a 9 year old girl.

Slavery is disgusting. And I only had to give 1 reason why it should be abolished completely.

12. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

See SilverPete's various posts including this one.

I'm feeling that my political views aren't obvious to many people. Maybe I need to be more forthright and post more often :|

13. col0016

col0016 Active Member

See you libertarians are all racist bigots who support slavery and support legalizing racism and misogyny.

14. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

You can't and nor should ideas be outlawed, it's a different matter though when these ideas manifest themselves physically.

Anyway, this thread is going OT. :)

Not if they held the same views about governments. :cool:

15. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No need for a sarcasm smiley here.

An irony smiley would suffice. :p

16. col0016

col0016 Active Member

So you can't outlaw slavery because it's an idea. So in your libertarian world murder would also be legal?

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My foreign history knowledge is terrible, so was it libertarians who introduced slavery into America and England?

18. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally I'm having trouble keeping up with who we are supposed to be blaming for everything this week. Last week I was sure it was the Illuminati Freemason Carbon Taxing refugee Labor military-industrial Catholic Church offshore property investor Greens Bilderberg bankster lizard people.

Now it's the libertarians? Dammit! I wasted my rage. :p

19. GOLDPIRATE

GOLDPIRATE New Member

LMAO :cool: :cool: :cool:......oh oh, I'm tracing back to my old ways damn it! I used to suffer from the need to post smileys after every 3rd word......

Read an article just yesterday on the huge teen sex trade in Brazil due to the rampant poverty levels. The very place where one of my prospective miners operate.....hmmmm.....

20. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

You misunderstand.

Libertarian ideology concerns itself with the protection of the physical property of rational, free-thinking individuals because it is only physical property that can be protected. Because it is only possible to protect our physical property, ideas or concepts that remain internalised ie not manifested, cannot be protected against. Because they cannot be protected against any legal framework outlawing such ideas is pointless and dose nothing more than waste valuable time that could be assigned to a more fruitful endeavour.

Whilst slavery remains an idea or internalised concept in the mind of an individual, it does not commit aggression on another, it only becomes an act of aggression when it is physically manifested. Likewise, thoughts of murder, rape fantasies etc are just ideas - whilst they remain ideas or fantasies they are not acts of aggression. Murder is the ultimate act of aggression in any society, whether that be a Libertarian or a dictatorship, in my "libertarian world" murder would be outlawed, having thoughts of of murdering someone would not.

Likewise with misogyny. You can hate all women until the cows come home for all I am concerned, but if you cross the line and that hate manifests itself physically via an act of aggression, then you will and should suffer the consequences.

Back OT, modern democracies have made a meal of of the distinction between the physical and the mental (or more specifically what should be termed as values). Racial vilification is an example of how governments have attempted to legislate and enforce the policing of values onto its citizens, even though racial slurs are not an act of aggression, because they are not physical by nature.

You can only protect property, property can only be threatened by physical acts of aggression, ideas, beliefs fantasies etc are not physical acts of aggression, they may cause offence, but they are not physical.