Ten job seekers/vacancy, unemployment 6% and 13.5% for 15-24 year olds

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by SpacePete, Jul 28, 2014.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Thanks, the list is endless :lol:

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure if I agree with this bit:

Care to expand a little. The industrial revolution seemed to me to create the sort of inequality that brought Marxism to the fore and inequality in land ownership gave us the Russian and Chinese revolutions.

3. mmm....shiney!

I'll put this in the proper thread :p

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The quality of life for the majority of people pre-industral revolution was pretty meagre as I understand it. It's not like things got worse with the IR, just different.

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is this an internet business or a business you can take on the road? Does it allow you a PT lifestyle? You can PM me if you don't want to reveal all the details

6. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No, the evidence shows there is an optimum level of government involvement, with too little on one side and too much on the other.

7. shano73

shano73 Member

Why wouldn't the government introduce national service for 18-21 year olds, imagine a workforce of say 250,000 + defence personnel working on major infrastructure projects while they do a trade/degree??

Also paying tax and filling the government coffers to boot, they would at least be disciplined aswell and make a worthwhile contribution to the community as a whole.

Roads & highways would be upgraded, manufacturing would be boosted, the flow on effect to the economy would be huge?

Also the government would save a bundle later on with health, as obesity in young adults would be basically drilled out of them via the physical defence regime??

I'm just thinking out aloud, I'm sure peoples opinion of this will vary.

8. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Yeh, so when they get out and are jobless they know how to kill.

9. mmm....shiney!

Ok, what's the optimum level?

How much government is too much and how much government is too little?

At what point on this continuum is government both absolutely necessary and entirely effective?

[​IMG]

10. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I think this is a great idea and I would raise it up to 25-30yr olds that have too much spare time on their hands while not at work.....Plus the dicipline would really help most of them realise how tough it is out there and what they need to know to take on a full time job.

11. shano73

shano73 Member

Anyone can kill anyone, whether they've been in the defence force or not, its whether human beings act on it, also depends on how your brought up via social conditioning from childhood.

And why would they be unemployed after their service was up? They may remain in the defence force or move into a field that there qualified for? or the government guarantees them a job after they finish?

You would at least have a very well trained work force who could be called up as reservists if the need arised?

12. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Even if they are trained in a job, there are far less jobs than applicants.
    And they'll be jobless and far more physically dangerous.
    Great.

13. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Too many applicants....Not enough jobs actually available.

14. shano73

shano73 Member

You seem to be focussing on one thing Peter? but your entitled to your opinion.

But obviously your not worried about bored teens at the moment who fall into the welfare system who decide this is too easy why should I work when I can just bludge off the hard working people of this community?

Also being on welfare causes more harm than good as it really isn't enough to live on? causes lack of self confidence and stress which in turn makes people do stupid things? e.g. boredom or non-self worth = vandalism, delinquency, drugs/alcohol, crime, sex = starting young families, which then causes more burden on tax payers as then they expect family benefits? Its a nasty circle.

But if a National Service was implemented then it would instil self worth, confidence, discipline, career drive & yes they would know how to kill? but anyone can with a lucky one punch to the head? or get in a car and decide to run into someone?

This would create more jobs through infrastructure, manufacturing and innovation than before and put more money into the economy, which means everyone would have a better quality of life, not just the rich as it is at the moment, class divides would be less than what they are now? At the moment the gap between the rich and middle/ working class is just getting bigger & bigger.

The life of the handout must end to those that can work but choose not to, I for one am over it and sick and tired of government waste to those that do not deserve it. Yes we must look after the elderly/ disabled who have no means to provide for themselves but lazy people on welfare? sorry but its time to get off your ass and if you chose not to then National Service it is so that you can make a valid contribution to society.

Too much emphasis in this day and age is put into "What's in it for me? how about "How can I make my life better and can I make my community a better place before I die?".

15. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you're going to base the discussion around a chart that doesn't include important metrics, you're not going to get many satisfactory answers.

For example, where on that chart is the measurement for a society of 100% good people who are disorganized to the point where they can't achieve desirable outcomes or solve complex problems?

Would you place an (objectively) good monarch somewhere around the middle? Or right at the Totalitarian Dictator end? Where would, say, the Sultan of Brunei sit on the scale?

Ideally, we should expect government to provide the maximum amount of benefit for the minimum loss of freedoms. Most people are, generally, good and most people also, generally, don't abuse their freedoms to the point where there's a general desire to see them restricted, so overall we've probably got the balance about right compared to most places in the world. Inevitably there are some areas where we could do with a lot less government intervention and some areas where we could do with a lot more, but the fact that we're able to discuss that openly shows that we can't be too far from a good balance.

16. mmm....shiney!

What metrics are you alluding to?

I don't see how it is possible to measure any government or political structure, therefore fitting a numeric scale on the chart is simply unachievable at best and at worse, completely irrelevant.

The point the chart is trying to graphically make (as Harper raised in the first place in the 1950's), was that it is impossible to satisfactorily answer the question. It was posed to demonstrate that there is "no level of optimum government" as some are wont to believe. Simply put, the greater the number of "wholly good men" in a society, the increasingly unnecessary a government becomes.

A society of 100% "wholly good men" would be a perfect society. If disorganisation is a desirable outcome then it would be quite easy for such a society to achieve. If it was not a desirable outcome then it would not exist. :)

It is highly likely that an objectively good Monarch ( such as me) would sit further to the left of the scale than a typical democratic modern Western nation, such as Australia or the UK. It would depend on the monarch. Sultan of Brunei? I don't know enough about him to make comment. Where would he sit in your opinion?

I'm not willing to trade any loss of freedom for any amount of government intrusion. I'd rather contract a private provider to meet my needs than to see my freedoms eroded without any consent on my part. There are ramblings from men far greater than me on this very topic, I think it was Benjamin Franklin that was quoted just the other day about freedom on this forum .

This is the only thing I agree whoeheartedly with you.

Living the life of a one-eyed King in the land of the blind is not an achievement.

Root problem of democracy = you think there should be more government controls in some areas whereas I don't.

Either you win or you lose.

There is no middle ground, it is a fallacy. Democracy favours winners at the expense of losers. Either you get what you want and I don't or vice versa.

Serious? Just because we can chat about shit on a forum makes our political system next to awesome???????? We are only one step away from being able to "discuss that openly" to not being able to "discuss that openly". And who do you suppose will be able to enforce that? It won't be your local Bunnings Hardware or Woolworths supermarket, or Gina Reinhart or any of those corporate hounds that are only interested in making profits. It will be your legally elected government representatives, elected because we believe we need to achieve that "optimum level of government involvement" - because you can't leave the citizens to decide their outcomes for themselves, you've got to interfere.

17. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Governments don't organize society, they organize legal power based theft by dividing society into victims and buddies, being a oneway road from interest groups creation to conflict.
    Your scale measures legal theft, only blocked by digging it, where state also ends.
    Presence of state already implies having digged the optimum level.
    Ruler marks for a State scale start with 1 Crap, end with 100 Crap, with the arrow only going up.

18. mmm....shiney!

Unless of course you are referring to Pirocco's "Presence of State Scale" where both extremes ie "1" and "100" are "Optimal Crap". Naturally, in between is also measured as "Optimal Crap". :cool:

19. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

The dole is so small that no one would would want to live on it when otherwise they would be able to live well with a job.And have nice cars, eat well, nice housing, holidays, partners, and respect from the community.
    Are you crazy?

There are no dole bluggers.Or maybe 15.
    Vaste numbers of dole bluggers are a illusion created
    by governments who don't want to be seen as failing to provide conditions favouring all.
    They don't exist.
    Would you like to live on the dole?
    The unemployed deserve help, understanding and respect.
    Not persecution.

20. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who's persecuting anyone?

Some people make a very nice lifestyle for themselves claiming several different sets of benefits. Some people make a very nice lifestyle for themselves claiming the dole and other benefits while working on the side or living overseas. These are the people that need to be forced off the public purse so that there is sufficient money available for the genuinely needy.