Telstra Axes 671 Jobs, Outsources to Asia

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by House, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why? Waste is waste no matter how much or how little there is to be wasted.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So you believe that if all these multinationals paid their taxes that the Gov would make massive tax cuts? :lol: For some reason I don't see that happening. They'd just have more money to waste and more time to spend thinking up different ways to waste it.

3. betterinvestmentthanshare

betterinvestmentthanshare Active Member

Bite the bullet and tax the church and church related businesses.as the saying goes............everyone has to share the load!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You think whichever party is in power isn't just dying to give people a huge tax cut?

Apple has shifted around $900 million in profits out of Australia every year for the last ten years which equates to about $2.7 billion worth of tax that they've dodged.

If they and all the other multinationals such as Google and Glencore had paid a reasonable amount of tax like other businesses and individuals here did, we'd either have better stuff or lower tax rates across the board. Pick whichever one you'd prefer - it doesn't matter while they're all rorting the system with small government clowns cheering them on.

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Why?

The government never asked me for my consent. I don't want to share any load where I am forced to give away my money.

6. mmm....shiney!

Tax is not fair to begin with, so I will maintain my bitching narrative.

That's not logical.

7. House

They could if they stopped wasting all the cash they take. $2.7bn over 10 years is nothing. Simply axing the carbon tax is set to cost taxpayers $15bn. Profligate governments are the problem. That and the fact that the politicians don't exactly pay their fair share of taxes. But they do get sweet pay raises for consistently underperforming

[​IMG]

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So that's the order in which you view the issue:

1. Tax is unfair

2. Tax exists, despite 1.

3. If anyone can get away with paying not paying it, that's good but you'll pay more as a result of 2 due to your belief in 1.

Noble principle. In practice, you're screwing yourself.

Clarification: if you're keen to see my money kept out of the government's hands. Apparently you don't differentiate between your money, my money or Apple's money, so I (and Apple) will do it for you.

Just trying to get some of that peer-to-peer finance stuff happening on the tax front so you can really see how much of a difference you make to someone. Using all these fancy legal structures is so impersonal. I can even send you pics of me getting drunk on an overseas holiday to Europe so you can see exactly where your money goes if that helps.

9. mmm....shiney!

No, it wouldn't matter whether Apple or Google or whatever paid more tax, the government would still squander it and my tax rate would still climb. But you've basically nailed it on the head. ;)

I have given myself my consent to screw myself. :)

I think I understand what you're getting at. But if I'm paying your taxes for you, then they are not really your taxes then. :/

10. mmm....shiney!

I'm not a small government clown. Gino may be a small government clown, wrcmad may be a small government clown even House may be a small government clown, but I'm not.

I'm a no government clown. :D

11. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're delusional if you believe that Government expenditure won't incrementally increase with incremental increases in revenue. I'll strongly advocate for anyone currently bearing a low taxation burden to maintain it because it will simply be pissed up against the wall on new bureaucracy, new programs, new distortionary practices etc.

As shiney! said, this is completely illogical.

Unlike you, we do differentiate between your money, our money and Apple's money. What is validly your property is yours. What is validly my property is mine. Stating that your property should become mine (or vice versa) via the intervention of the government is you saying that you have no rights. I strongly support anyone who is able to successfully protect their property rights against unjust coercion and I wish I could do the same.

12. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As much as I like to government bash, it should be remembered that (from memory) most of that last rise was due to the substantial restructuring of the lifetime gold travel cards, overseas "study" trips, super/pension entitlements etc. Essentially swapping perks for pay.

13. TeaPot&ChopSticks

TeaPot&ChopSticks New Member

Heard the Head of Telstra on the radio that in ten years time these jobs will not exist and all be done by smart machines and the internet.

The move into Asia is a move to make themselves a Asian and Global Company.

14. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

On topic, the "big 4" accounting firms are now outsourcing a lot of their low level work to India. Which I find counter productive. They need to take 50 graduates every year, feed them through the meat grinder of their processes and let the 10 that survive become 'assistant managers' doing all the work for 60 hours a week. Within about 10 years one will become a partner. Outsourcing the newbie auditors' work will eventually cut these firms off at the knees. A big part of the senior staff work is networking with the executives of prospective audit clients. There are fewer people now learning the interpersonal and business skills that they need at the top. Oh well. Glad I'm out of that game.

And as for the tax thing...I'm doing tax this year. I am proud to be helping people keep as much of their own money as they can get. Apple are entitled to do that too.

I think we can learn a lot from Vanuatu and the Canary Islands and Andorra. They do fine on a tiny tax base.

15. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

More cuts. An entire call centre in Perth. Many from Melbourne too.

16. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Not good news at all......And you pay a premium for Telstra's products too so the service should be A1 which I doubt it will be anymore.

And wots happening with Masters have they shutdown yet?

17. House

Thought you'd post something about the 845,000 Holden job cuts... Or the 3,000 from Dick Smith.

Masters haven't shut down but it's in the works. If Woolies don't find a buyer, they will (allegedly) offer the staff jobs within their stores.

18. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Its innovation.

19. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Woah!!!! I might be a small clown, but not a small government clown. :lol:
    As for tax avoidance, pulled off my biggest 5-figure heist yet this year due to the incompetence of gubmint depts. :D
    Not giving details of the loophole, as that may give my position away.... But it was extremely satisfying. ;)

20. mmm....shiney!

Took you 2 years to set the record straight on what classification of clown you are. :p