Taking gold and silver on the plane

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by ncbullion, Feb 1, 2011.

1. wasilver

wasilver Member Silver Stacker

No problems within Australia. I normally carry any PMs in a back pack and declare them at the scanners. Tell them that you have PMs and normally they will offer to search your bag privately.....better than getting them out for everyone to see!

2. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

I have read experiences from other people contrary to this - that customs demanded Gold Eagles be declared with it's bullion value.

The US Customs' web site is ambiguous on the issue. I'm not sure how to research the actual law or administrative code that sets the policy.

3. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Well I was referring to Australian Customs as the question was regarding going from the US, to Australia. I'm not sure about how US customs would treat it. The US has a much lower/less generous tax free allowance than AU...

4. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

America to Australia.
    Thanks for the help.

6. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Be aware that cases of US customs/TSA confiscating gold coins/bullion of people trying to leave USA has been increasing. Casey Research published an article on this, sometime in the last 3-4 months. I posted a link about it here on SS, but have just spent 15 mins trying to find it again, no luck, end of search. Basically, the problem is not one of possessing "receipts", but rather there is a special type of exit form that needs to be filled out. People who were caught unawares, had their gold taken off them at the airport.

Yes sure, one of the SS posters got through with 60 oz of silver. But if I was the customs/TSA guy, I wouldn't bother with his stash either. But if you have sufficient gold to whet my appetite, then sure, I'll need to make sure you've filled out the appropriate forms, otherwise I'll take your gold. But if you just have a small amount of silver, who gives a damn about the forms. I didn't see nuthin.

I would never try to take gold out of the US, before finding out the name of this form, etc, again, and making sure its filled out. But that's just me. Lots of SS are willing to run all sorts of risks; eg. excess amounts & not declaring to customs.

7. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/332/kw/monetary instruments bullion

As I read it*, you can travel with 1,000 gold bars or ingots and not have to declare them because they are just bullion (not foreign or domestic coins or currency), but if you travelled with more than $10,000 worth of gold or silver coins, you would need to declare them.

I'm not sure why they draw the distinction this way. It's a bit fuzzy on whether rounds from private (foreign or domestic) mints are considered bullion or coins.

It's also not clear whether you are required to declare the nominal face value of gold and silver Eagles and silver America The Beautiful coins or their bullion value.

*I'm not a lawyer and not dispensing legal advice here.

8. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Here's a link with details of the forms
    http://sovereign-investor.com/2011/08/22/government-takes-away-gold-and-our-rights/

9. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd report this post to the boss but, yeah, you are the boss