switching from industry super to SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by stinkypete, Sep 29, 2011.

1. stinkypete

stinkypete Member

hi guys i am in the process of setting up smsf through esuper , i will be rolling over my super from an industry super fund BussQ , the company i work for have a close relationship with BussQ , do i have any say on where my super goes from my employer or is it what they say goes ? if i have to keep that account too im gonna get stung with unnecessary fees , id appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this circumstance .

cheers Stinky

2. Ludio00

Ludio00 New Member

Hi,

The super fund you want to use is entirely up to you. Employers will set employees up with an account with their default super company unless they request a different one. You are free to change and roll over your super to a different company or SMSF when ever you want and close your existing accounts.

3. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Generally speaking if you work for a private company you should be able to roll over to SMSF or change superfunds. Where most people sometimes find trouble is if they either work for State or Federal Government they might not be able to roll over or change funds at all until they cease being employed by that government department and if employer contributions are unfunded then there is probably zero chance of ever moving that money(not all government superfunds are like this).

4. stinkypete

stinkypete Member

thanks guys , maybe the office girl is being difficult in this situation , ill investigate this further thanks again .

stinky

5. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. stinkypete

stinkypete Member