SUPERMAN COINS!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by cman, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

Provident has the Superman coins, a much safer source IMHO. I am on the fence about the hologram version, still undecided. Talisman still has a comment on their site that the Superman coins are pre order or pre release or something like that.

2. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

I would be very careful to buy from Talisman Coins, it is well known for selling as pre-order and then ship to buyer only if they have not been able to sell at better price on ebay. From Talisman you can be sure you will receive instead failure coins, and they let you believe you made a great deal too, pumping up the price to an unreasonable value and then discount to a price you can find anywhere else. Same old story, same old unreliability.
    Talisman? No, thanks.

3. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

When I read this thread, I feel like rushing to buy these superman coins. But then I do my research and still don't understand what is all this hype for these coins.
    At the moment there are about 230 listings only on ebay.com (not counting other ebay sites or dealers webstores).
    Checking the completed listings, the selling prices are very close to issue price.
    For example, the most requested (affordable) coin seems to be the hologram one, but last auctions close areound $150.00
    After ebay and paypal fees, sellers are lucky if they cover their cost at issue price. And if they earn something is a couple of bucks.

I wouldn't consider this a coin of such great success. For me a very requested coin is one that I find only few pieces on sales, and auctions closes 2-3 times issue price.

And for me, comparing these coins with the first comics / figurines that sell for great money today is completely wrong. The comics are history, there was nothing before, and many got destroyed because I don't think it was a big success at that time. Today those are museum pieces.
    These coins are not history, a lot of superman merchandising, also in limited numbers, has been done and will be done. I won't be surprised if in few months RCM will issue another bunch of superman coins with different design. They have to squeeze the lemon to make the best out of their licence.

For me it is like buying a shirt with "S" logo and think that this will become valuable like first comic book sooner or later. Good luck ;)

Just my opinion, hope no superman fan-boy or dealer that bought a lot of such coins and trying to pump up the price get annoyed :)
    Alex.

4. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you're looking at the wrong coin.

Try the gold coin recent sales prices. ;)

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Very valid points. Very thoughtful. Very helpful to help put my view in perspective. I've been watching provident, and the man of steel nor the holograms have not been selling like hot cakes. Their amounts are not decreasing, which has been the reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I did buy the S shield since I like those. I may buy the man of steel, since I like them, and if make money great, if not, oh well, just hope I can break even when I go to sell...if ever I do. :)

6. barsenault

Sure glad I never took the dive on the man of steel coins. Whew. There's a gazillion on eBay, and even Provident has barely sold any. Not as hot as I thought. The gold coin on the other hand...wow! Kudos to those who got a few of those for 899.00!

7. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

I ordered over 200 of the Hologram coins, and just over 100 of the Man of Steel and the Shield.

Some stats: sold out of the hologram coins completely (minus the 10 of each I'm keeping) (starting price: $130, sold about 20; $140; sold about 40; $145 sold around 80; $150 sold about 40; $155 sold about 200; $160 sold another 10 or so)

Almost sold out of the Man of Steel (starting price: $110 sold only a handful; $120 sold about 30; $130 sold another 30; $140; sold about 10; price now $145)

(Price and sales are just rough estimates)

The shield seems to me moving the slowest as I've still got a little less than half my stock (around 40-50) left

Based on this I will say the hologram one is doing the best, the man of steel second, and the shield last.

I've already received small shipments of the hologram coin in, it's no where near as nice as in the pictures by RCM but I still like it!

8. barsenault

Funny the one I like the best is doing the worst. LOL. Oh well. The one I like the least is doing the best. Thanks for the update WSD.

By the way, I got the horse coins in. Thanks!

9. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

It's a bird, it's a plane, no! It's SUPERMAN! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Jcoin

Jcoin New Member

LOL @ you watermarking those photos

11. barsenault

Too funny, who mentioned that if you order from Talisman, and the coins are popular, they won't follow thru on the order? I ordered 5 of the S shield, and I have yet to see the coins, and I paid by credit card...he hasn't charged me yet, but it shows on the order page that the order was placed. I'm hoping it is simply because he is waiting on the coins. Apparently this one has increased in price significantly. If he doesn't follow thru, there is something a bit unethical about that, yes? I'll keep everyone posted either way. If he doesn't, boy will I give him a bad rap wherever I post. That just ain't right...but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt right now.

12. lostwords

lostwords New Member

I think talisman has seen people complaining about his method on varous forums and talisman has been shipping out the gold coins. As much as I hate talisman, I do wish they send the coins out to those that ordered in good faith

13. barsenault

3 calls & 3 emails later, not a peep; still keeping hope alive until end of day, then I'm moving on. :)

14. barsenault

Got a call. Whew. Delivery should be forth coming. The 'S' for $119.00. I rolled the dice on 5 of these bad boys...see what I can get for 2 on feebay! :)

15. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Vintage Superman Coins have finally come in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

LOL Yeah...There's too many people out there who in the past have simply stolen my pictures and used them in ebay listings etc. claiming it as theirs. It's a precaution most people (at least on the canadian forum) now take :).

I sold a lot of the superman coins at issue, but once my stock was depleting and I wasn't able to order more, prices had to increase to market prices. The very last "The Shield Coin" I sold was $220 with shipping. I actually just put it at that price thinking no one was ever going to pull the trigger haha.

I do have an order for 20 more of these placed with another supplier but I have no idea if they'll fulfill or not (kind of like Talisman) so don't want to sell them haha.

Also still have 3 of each coin (except the gold) in my personal collection!

17. Jcoin

Jcoin New Member

Yeh, you're really fighting a losing battle there mate. Not sure if you've seen the Google Image search feature before...

18. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

The way I see it, this way if it gets stolen, at least I'm still getting credit. Just a few days ago another member of another forum made the background of image repeated text with their username, and even that was stolen. A lot of people posting these listings are just taking the pics directly from forums here, so this way if they're going to do it, there's some sort of reconciliation for that.

19. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Wsdcoins know I will steal them if he don't watermark them. :). Kidding as side, there are folks just Google the image and steal them for their eBay ads.

20. lostwords

lostwords New Member

U need to share some of those fools that willing to pay that much for the shield coin. Even eBay don't fletch that much