Sunset of the grey nomad: a market perspective

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Like I said gents - cause and effect.

All I am saying is that when you find yourself on that bottom rung as a collective, do not ask for help or assistance or understanding or even mercy for that matter because it won't be there.

The ONLY reason why the status quo is what it is today is because of decades of bias, political dominance influencing secular policy.

That is, political policy skewed to benefit a particular caste at the expense of everyone else.

It's little wonder then, that we have such an arrogant, ignorant and bias attitude of that caste's representatives here commenting on the status quo they created.

The two predominant attitudes I've seen through 8 pages of this thread have been :

1 - Ignore any real hard data as evidence, uphold personal experience as 'fact'.
    2 - Do not complain about a rigged game, capitulate instead.

ie Nothing new.

But in looping back around to the original thread topic, it is a situation that through simple attrition is starting to shift away.

We are now starting to see more and more pressure from the lower rungs of society oppressed by secular policy creating volatile political environments. Politicians are no longer able to maintain any sort of stability in their electorates because they haven't made the necessary paradigm shifts and realised that they cannot continue to run with policy that continues to kick the younger gens now.

It's becoming more of a numbers game as the younger gens swell in numbers and the older ones die off, you're seeing a shift in voting numbers that will influence future policy away from putting those boomers on a pedastal and starting to create more equalibrium out there politically.

It really doesn't matter what's 'fair' or 'just' in the arguement at all anymore. The policy will simply follow the largest representation and that shift is happening right now, especially since that former 'largest voting population' is moving into retirement and instead of being net tax payers are now becoming net tax consumers.

Expect national and state policy to follow suit.

The boomers had their time and exploited the living crap out of it at the expense of everyone else.

That's about to change and bleating rhetoric about fairness and equality in those twilight years will do you absolutely no good what so ever.

For example...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/latest/article/-/14007659/public-housing-shake-up/

[​IMG]

The winds gents.... they do be a changin'

Just be decent to your kids. That malicious SKI ideology is going to come back and bite many in the arse in the years ahead I think.

2. Nugget

Nugget Active Member Silver Stacker

It never was. Fair has always been whatever is expedient.

At the end of the day "He whom pays the Piper calls the tune". The Soviet Union collapsed in part because there was no reward for effort. Well, there was if that effort was about climbing the political ladder and living high on the hog off the peasants, I mean comrades. There is an interesting argument going on between people whose opinions I listen to and value (their posts convinced me to transfer my Super to CASH in mid '08) on another forum http://www.simplesustainable.com/topic/5085-super-annuation-idiocy/ Whilst they are really getting stuck into each other on that thread their points have really got me thinking.

But I digress. Some Gen-Y have expressed their desire to pursue other interests other than the pursuit of money. If that idea catches on then it'll suck for those whom were hoping to leach off their earnings. Years ago I read an anti-war strategy. It was US centric but the idea was to earn enough to pay your bills and put food on your table and spend the huge amount of time and energy you aren't putting into "getting ahead" into something constructive for society or just something that pleases you. Damn there are a lot of double entendre in the last two sentences :eek:

3. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Active Member Silver Stacker

If you cant look after old people that paid taxes all there life who the turtle can you look after .the reason we have the pension
    is because of income tax that was paid for 50 years .a pension is the reward for a lifetime of taxes . what about pre baby boomers
    you seem preety happy to shaft them so you can bludge of there lifetime of taxes .people went to war and died so you could have a nice place to live and all you do is WHINGE you arrogant ungreatful turtle....

This is directed at you aspm hope you enjoy your old age living on the streets

4. Nugget

Edited to acknowledge an edit that was made whilst I was slowly typing a reply.

The pension is supposed to be

3% of our income tax is supposed to go towards our pension. This was shanghaied into consolidated revenue for "ease of accounting" and never mentioned again. I only know this because my Grand-dad was a bitter man about the theft

Super is supposed to be the "live your dreams and live comfortably" and we're supposed to get the pension at the same time. This was Keatings plan. However it's evolved into use your Super until it's gone (I assume that the rate you can use it will / is regulated) then maybe you can get the pension

If I had my way everyone would get the pension, even those fat slugs you see throwing around their wealth in a disgusting effort to sway public opinion into giving them even more wealth, yes even they'd get the pension. If everyone got it then it'd be dirt cheap to run. I heard once that it'd be cheaper to give every veteran the full payment that it is to run the Department of Veteran Affairs.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

That's an interesting ideology Nug and to be honest, I've been living that lifestyle myself more or less.

I didn't borrow to excess, I don't live an extravagant lifestyle (regardless of how many times my 'betters' tell me that's what I should want). If I had any means for wealth, it would simply so I could choose the way I want to live rather than the way I have to but I digress, your point about earning enough just to live and nothing more actually has a fair amount of merit.

Without a doubt, much of the lamentation from the top tier is that we're not working hard enough (or 'smart enough' depending who you speak with) but there comes a point where the amount of effort required to get that tiny fraction ahead ceases being worth the effort at all - what is simply a case of economic diminishing returns

I think that's pretty much where society is heading now. Where the goal posts on a standard of living the elders enjoyed is being pushed so far out of reach (through extra ordinary debt requirements or gambling ethics) that is ceases to provide a realistic reward for effort for the many.

Oh don't get me wrong, there are many pundits who will lambast the 'lazy' youth for thinking that way and they just want everything given to them on a platter, but the proof really is definable and verifiable out there... the cost of living is out of freaking control!

I definitely think we are rapidly approaching a point where the majority will simply resign to living up to their parent's generational standards and assume 'what's the point?' and let it go and I have to say, this isn't a bad thing.

I don't know about any of you, but I work to live - not live to work. There's really no impetus for honest industry in such a rigged environment where effort is rewarded with by more confiscation of wealth & where saving is just going to get you punished.

At some point, you just have to lay down tools and give up on the game because you realise the only way to win at the game is simply to cheat.

A sad indictment of our system I think.

Not at all.

The divide and conquer approach by our centralised government has worked wonders in dividing the family unit and keeping you reliant on the state for support. A very insidious process by central planners, but one that's starting to backfire if you know where to place your values.

You must understand that this is the nature of the beast that's created by democratic majority. If you have political majority, you get to make the rules - 'fair' doesn't even come into it and this is what you must realise.

But with my family it's very different. I'm one of those people who live with 3 generations in the house as standard and we are now seeing more and more of this reliance on others not as a natural byproduct of policy, but necessity.

You seem to infer that I am on a personal crusade to chuck the oldies on the street mate, but I'm actually commenting more on how our political system works, how there's a current generational war on and how socially and politically it's going to play out.

Don't confuse my personal values with a simple surmation of the state of play.

BUT if you realistically look at the state of our society in terms of the status quo today, you don't have to be einstein to see where this is going to end.

The kids out there today are friggen pissed and it doesn't help those those who have the political majority by the throat are telling them to stfu and just get on with feeding the beast.

Backlash is inevitable, whether you agree with it or not and it's already started.

6. Nugget

Just to clarify, it was something I read. In fact my Googl-fu is strong today (although not to the article I recall reading)

Practical War Tax Resistance #5 Low Income/Simple Living as War Tax Resistance http://nwtrcc.org/practical5.php

7. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

lol, not to mention the fact that they built this country.

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If that is the only reason, then I wish to forgo my reward of a future pension in exchange for income tax exemption. :)

9. Silverthorn

Its called super. :eek:

10. Nugget

We were supposed to get both at the same time

11. Guest

Guest Guest

fixed.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...ney-for-nyc-20120625-20yh2.html#ixzz1ys0FrrT0

12. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Nugget..re post 182^^^..What you referred to about the 3% extra tax taken from workers prior to 1948 was true. My father was pretty upset too when it was paid into consolidated revenue to pay for the lifting of rationing which strangely was still in place up to around 1949.

The 3% tax was never canceled. The pension was there to give you food to eat so that you would not be a burden on your children when you got past 65. Just imagine if the 3% tax was set aside into a future pension fund. It has been done by Peter Costello but it is only for Federal Public Servants. $52 billion if I remember correctly..At least he had the foresight to see the need for funded super.. The only problem was that it didn't come from Federal Public servants contributions..It came from asset sales. At least some workers will be assured of getting $$ when they retire.

I wouldn't feel too confident of getting paid any super at 65 if I was a young fellow these days. I feel so happy that so many SS members have their own SMSF and even have actual gold and silver in their hands. Bankers and Politicians managed to take the 3% from your fore fathers and they will do the same with your 9% super as they give it the so called experts to make extra for you..Very quickly it could all be gone..Most of you on SS know this and that is why you don't only talk , you act.

Regards Errol 43

Sorry I meant to say 67 no 69 no 70 oh well 78 .. it won't matter it will be all over by then!

13. Silverthorn

rubbish.

14. wrcmad

No, paying super is forgoing income for 50 years. :p

I said I wanted to forgo my future pension in return for income tax exemption.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

At the end of the day it's our fault for letting little black hearted freaks shape our society.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Active Member Silver Stacker

My apologies aspm, might have jumped the gun when i read your post about throwing old people out on the street
    i think of old people as pre ww2 who lived thru the depression ww2 ,the parents of the baby boomers who worked hard scrimped and saved
    to give their kids a better life than them only to be shoved into a nursing home by there baby boomer kids.
    I applaud you for looking after your extended family....my sister is looking after my oldies in a house we all brought together .whitch will stay in the family for grandkids and greatgrandkids to always have a roof over there heads .even if they are ungreatfull disrespectfull little shits...

work hard when your young play when your old and die before your a burden on anyone is my motto

not sure what gen x is couldnt give a flying fuck but at least we respect our elders unlike the little pricks born after us

17. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yeah sure have an income tax exemption just done use any of the bridges parks sewerage treatment plants ,roads, footpaths or any other infrastructure our taxes pay for . You really have no idea do you ?

Yeah i can imagine it now dirt roads, waiting & paying to use the barge or ferry to cross the river turds floating down the street ...........Paradise :lol:

I admit they dont spend our taxes wisely but without them were just another 3rd world country . . Enjoy the blessed country you were lucky enough to be born in & stop complaining, pay your taxes( minimise them where you can) & enjoy what many countries dont have & come from the world over to enjoy & appreciate.

18. renovator

yep we screwed it into one of the best countries in the world .. .....priceless

19. renovator

But I digress. Some Gen-Y have expressed their desire to pursue other interests other than the pursuit of money

I just had to take a line from your post . So if your that way inclined why all the complaining ? just pursue your dreams & be happy moneys not everything

20. wrcmad

No, Captain Awesome, I'm afraid I dont. :rolleyes: But, as self-proclaimed affluence messiah, I'm sure you will tell me all about it.

In return, I'll teach you how to lighten up a little and recognise a little sarcastic banter. :D

:lol: What do you mean 'imagine'? You've obviously never lived in the Northern Rivers, have you? This^^ is actually the case!
    Most of the taxes payed up here don't go towards infrastructure - they fund life-long pensions courtesy of Centrlink.