Storing your silver explained

Discussion in 'Silver' started by rbaggio, Jan 22, 2011.

1. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

At 1m52s, it appears he fell victim to an unfortunate boating accident as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en5wD7Gw3nU[/youtube]

2. digger

digger New Member

It's amazing how many boating accidents are going on, I still have nightmares over mine.

3. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

At 1:22 he talks about California robbing safety deposit boxes by claiming them abandoned. I had to look that up and found this circa 2008 regarding Bank of America. "Pin-stripped bandits" indeed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHIg_b6yRiw[/youtube]

4. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Theres always a risk.

Its why I worry just a bit about my offsite vault storage, but being a privately owned facility I dont worry as much as I would if it were a bank SDB.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I've spoken to an Australian bank on this matter - I was told they've got unclaimed boxes that are 30yo that they can't dispose of - they move the contents to a vault to free the box up for another customer. I'm unclear whether this is a bank policy or a legislative requirement though.

6. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

An old friend of mine rented one of those storage units in a secure facility. He bolted a safe to the floor in the back corner. He had been mining all his life. He never told me exactly what was in the safe, just that he had valuables in it he wouldn't trust to the banks & with his extended family around. He also had a large plastic drum full of coins. Thousands of dollars worth of $1 - $2 coins. He was heavily into hiding his wealth to the extent that he drove a very average car & lived in a modest house in the suburbs. Ho got cancer & despite his positive attitude & his reliance on alternative medicine (cuz he didn't trust the quacks) he eventually passed away. I discovered later that in his will he had left me some tools & equipment & his son in-law asked me to come by the unit & collect them one day. When we went to the unit to pick up the gear I noticed the safe was gone & also the big drum of coins. Apart from that just about everything else was left there covered in dust. Where the safe stood you could see the bolts had ripped away the concrete from the floor so obviously a large amount of force was applied to get to the safe. Anyway I asked him what had happened to the safe & he told me it was empty & they had to get it out because the owner wanted to rent the unit out asap. Well about two weeks later I was driving past the unit, the door was now damaged & left open & all of the unwanted stuff was in plain view from the road. It stayed like that for weeks after-wards. I saw the son in-law about two months later, still unemployed & now driving a flash new car. So yeah long winded story just an example of what lengths people will go to hide there fortunes. In the end you can't take it with you.

7. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

Before my unfortunate boating accident, I stored my PM at a secure private facility in the city. Not a bank. But, now that it all sank, its irrelevant, really...

8. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Cheers H46, yeah he had a great sense of humour, to the point when the Pastor came to issue him the last rights close to the end & he did his absolution thing, well everyone started to cry thinking he was finally at peace & he suddenly opened his eyes & said Hey ! I'm not not gone yet, he smiled for a moment then he closed his eyes for the last time.

9. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Same here about the boating accident. But my pms were previously stored at a local bank that does not have any branches outside of my state. Anyone storing pms at one of the bankster banks is just asking for trouble.

10. beachcombermike

beachcombermike New Member

(In the end you can't take it with you.)

i've got my own safe bolted to a concrete floor and i've started to emoty it already. i'm going to leave my family my best wishes. mike.

11. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

LOL beachcombermike. A good plan.
    A friend once told me that the trick was to make your money last until you die. My parents managed it and I'm thinking I may just do the same. lol

12. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Start to wonder about what it's all about ? Save enough to take the trip of a lifetime, live in a beautiful house overlooking the sea, drive a fancy car ? Surely there's more to it than this ? No wonder people become religious. Is it more important to live a wealthy life or leave a good legacy ?

13. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I was reading somewhere that we may have to change our attitudes to those very ideas and move towards "family money". The author was reasoning that in the future if we have an economic upheaval then opportunities for the younger generations to be financially independent may be severely limited. After all if we follow a logical line of reasoning from the large scale to the small, ie

a. Australia's money belongs to Australians (yes, I know, ha ha ha but bear with me)
    b. The State's money eg Qld belongs to Qlders
    c. City's, town's, shire's money belong to the residents of those areas
    d. YET at the most basic and important level in our society, families, we don't work together to build wealth and indeed we intend to leave none when we've gone.

I know a family where the wife and husband share living expenses, but keep their own excess funds to themselves, and even buy the kids separate Xmas parents! A concept totally alien to me cause I ask my wife for money :). I don't think "family money" means paying for the kids their whole life, but rather, building the "family business", a shared financial responsibility to everyone in the family and ensuring each subsequent generation benefits from the previous hard working generation. In years gone past farms, skills and businesses were passed down from family member to family member. All of us are in a form of business but we don't intend to pass that down to our children?

14. gin-kin

gin-kin New Member

Yeah, kinda like the rothschilds and the windsors etc.

If i was gonna have kids then yeah i'd be planning to pass some wealth on to them and teaching them the reality of money/fiat/PMS etc.
    But i really don't plan to, so i'll be trying to keep a little wealth incase i one day end up with any nephews or nieces - and the rest i'll be trying spend with my partner to keep our lives very liveable later on - instead of ending up with no superannuation after it's plundered.

I installed an in-floor safe - massive effort to cut thru 100mm slab and pour new concrete around the safe - but i'm really happy with the results. Unfortunately all that effort was wasted coz before i could get anything into the safe i lost all my PMs in a boating accident :(

15. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

1. Get some PVC tube that has a large diameter and a screw cap end
    2. Use epoxy glue and silicone the cap on
    3. Put your bullion inside
    4. Put in a couple of candles and light them, the secure the cap as in point 2 on the open end
    5. Wait a few hours for the candles to burn out
    6. Dig a hole in your back yard in an out of the way place and bury

Purpose of the candles is to remove the oxygen from the air to help prevent oxidation of anything in the tube.

16. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm not into the whole SKI thing - Spend Kids Inheritance. I think that it is nice to help out the younger generation when required... that being caveate, only when necessary or when you feel it would be appreciated.

While I don't expect money from my parents (we had an argument once about my insistence on my financial independence) having had kids i think that i wold like to help them out with key purchases to help make their life easier.

That is not to say that I don't want to also enjoy life. I just think that the simple things in life like the appreciation from the kids is better. It is a fine line though, First having the kids learn that M+D are not a money pit and some things are best saved for.

17. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

By the way, there seems to have been a awful lot of boating accidents of late. As far as i know, most stackers should have learnt from Boneyard's experience with boats and located their stash elsewhere.
    I think i'll be avoiding boats.

18. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Yeah but if you meet an untimely demise no one knows it's there. Don't you think that's just a little selfish ?

19. TopMetal

TopMetal New Member

Instead of candles you could just use a dessicant, for example somethng like this.

20. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Some 12yo kid in the future with a metal detector votes no :)