'Storage Wars' star Dave Hester says show is fake, suing.

Discussion in 'Gold TV' started by ozcopper, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ozcopper

ozcopper Administrator Staff Member

Link: http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/12/storage-wars-sued-dave-hester-show-faked

2. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Nasty sort of ideal the show represents though.

Whilst 'them's the rules' regarding lapsed storage, it's very akin to a vulture like mentality... all in the name of 'entertainment'

Then again, you can name a dozen shows currently on the air which follow a similar format.

Mind you 'fake' shows on TV are nothing new. When people realise that 'reality TV' is merely bullshit TV with some 'real world' people thrown in instead of actors, you can appreciate that the level of BS on the shows needs to rise constantly to keep the audience tuning in.

I think the danger lies in the fact that because it's called 'reality TV' and the 'actors' are just hand picked morons to feed stereotypical attitudes, people can confuse fiction with fact and worse (in the cases like 'The Block' and 'My Kitchen Rules') make some serious financial and life changing decisions based on what they see.

I really do wonder how many people have faced financial or relationship ruin watching this stupid shit and thinking 'well, those people are 'real' and can do it, so why can't I?'

Then cut to the advert for the show's sponsor... all in the name of driving up sales for the disillusioned viewer.

Meh.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

No... :rolleyes:

There's some blogs around with "before" and "after" pics of the storage units during the auctions and during the post-auction inspections that clearly show that the contents have been interfered with, or items even added - things like cardboard boxes that weren't in the unit when it was being auctioned.

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Really I though it was just a bunch of actors that co-incidently ran into each other at a photoshoot :rolleyes:

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree with AusPM in the subtle changes in people's behaviours, expectations and morality wrought by the beast of commercial television.

How to make everyone unhappy with what they actually have? Mass advertising - sell the dream, not the product - then underscore that with shows about fantasy lives and lifestyles, 'unreality' shows and subtle dramas about the 'morality' to follow.

Just look at how unashamedly consumerist and the promotion of thst lifestyle that the 'Sex and the City 2" film was, and the ripple of minor indignation it received. Then look at the lives of the 'beautiful' people in shows like 'Grey's Anatomy' and the morality promoted there.

In the fifties, critics were noting the emasculation of the American male in family life (exemplfied by Homer in the Simpsons these days). Now the society is reaping the results of that and the false security of 'career and homelife' handed to women (and then withdrawn by shows like SATC, Good Wife, etc) is creating a similar circumstance. No wonder I meet so many women who despair at their children's vacuous acceptance of 'Kardashian's vs Gangsta' lifestyle models and hearing their girls and boys refer to 'bitches' and casual obscenity 'm***f***s' etc.

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I think hester is taking the opportunity to make a few extra bucks.

At least he has a bit of integrity wanting the real stuff going to air . I hope he wins .

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rubbish, next they will be saying that Judge Judy is fixed!

I never noticed it all until a mate pointed it out, he said "Watch when they knock on someone's door "unexpectedly", the owner opens up all surprised to see the TV Presenter. Close up on surprised owners face" "Then watch how the TV presenter is filmed coming into the house, if that camera angle is from within the house then ask yourself, why is the home owner so shocked to see the presenter when there is already a TV crew inside her front door?"

Damn it if he wasn't right.

I treat everything on TV as entertainment only, not to be taken seriously. And as I find the internet more entertaining I don't watch TV

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

You forgot to point out their sound equipment hitched to the back of their jeans when they turn around :)

9. ozcopper

I like all these type of shows for their educational value. Just think about Storage Wars, American Pickers, Bargain Hunt etc etc The learning is in the found objects... how they were found, being real or fake is secondary. Another good example is Gold Rush, that show really educates you on how hard it is to find gold. It would turn me off gold mining and shows you it is not all get rich quick.

10. Jislizard

But what if they are "seeding" the storage facilities? What if they are planting valuable antiques in junk shops and boot fairs and garage sales. What if the producer chucks a safe full of gold into the storage locker and recovers it after the show?

For the most famous example of this sort of entertainment just check out the mass suicides of lemmings...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming

I think they are probably tripping over gold in Gold Rush, it is probably just misinformation to keep you in your drone occupation so they can keep it all for themselves. Nothing to see here folks, Australia (or wherever the show is based) the has run out of gold so you might as well go back to your office job!

11. ozcopper

Well there is certainally stuff to be found at garage sales.... I go hunting most weeks ;)

12. Jislizard

I used to love going to boot fairs in the UK, loads of bargains to be had.

Then everything became 'antique' or 'collectable' and the prices shot up and squeezed the margins a bit.

I used to pick up old petrol lighters and recondition them, then every mass produced broken souvenir lighter suddenly became an heirloom so I stopped buying them.

13. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

bargain hunt on the bbc is 100% legit in my view, pity the expert david barby died a few months back he was good entertainment value.