Storage organic food in bulk

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Vic_Bitter, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Vic_Bitter

Vic_Bitter New Member

Where to buy storage organic food in bulk?

We know in a hyperinflation, people holding fiat money will be wiped out by the rapid price rise of food.
    Anybody know where to buy storage organic food in bulk and that's value for money?
    Looking at stores in Melbourne or online stores.

The ones we've found online so far that look Ok are:
    Organic Origins
    Kombu Wholefoods
    CERES East Brunswick

Ta

2. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We tend to buy from the USA. Including shipping, believe it or not, it can be cheaper than the local offering and the range is bigger.

A big vegi garden is a necessity.

3. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

It's funny is should come across this, just bought a book at work called practical self sufficiency. Shows you heaps of stuff you can do in your backyard

4. Sa_bogan

At the moment I'm dehydrating my chillies from my own growing, and soon ill have tomatoes and 2 other types of chillies

5. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Could you expand on this please?

FWIW Eden Organics Black beans are very hard to source at the moment and I've bought out the local stores (plural) supply :(

6. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As an example, have a look at iHerb.com and if you want more information you can always get back to me.

We get soaps, laundry, kitchen and bathroom. Toothpastes and personal care items etc, dried fruits, vegetables and spices. All better IMHO, and cheaper than the local offering.

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

How are you doing this please ? Have an abundance of chillies my self at ATM

8. Sa_bogan

I have bought a good dehydrator from eBay awhile back so I could make beef jerky. Lookit up

9. Jon Snow

Jon Snow New Member

My wife's done a ton of research on this. Your cheapest option is something like a co-op. do your research as not all co-ops are made equal. You are effectively buying at wholesale which is great. The drawbacks are that orders are spaced out. Monthly would be considered frequent. 2-3 monthly is more the norm. In such a case predicting the correct volumes needed and proper storage is vital as being out on one or both can cost you quite easily all you saved. But that said a conservative ordering approach built up over a number of orders would bring about order accuracy and its purely a research thing on storage - beware the dreaded weevil. In a full enough container they just adds protein. :p
    Usually co-ops require help in breaking up orders but that's all that community spirit stuff the hippies keep on about so I'm sure it's harmless.
    As far as direct bulk orders go a mob near Byron have the best prices I have seen when heading into larger quantities. They are called Santos wholefoods or something like that. You'll likely get stung by postage but do the math and it may work out on paper about the same or marginally more expensive as your local provider but without the to and fro of your time and money to the store and so possibly worthwhile
    Basically look and look and look as there are online organic stores popping up quicker than pimples on a 15 year old and you may just find one that offers the best squeeze.

10. Wilty

Wilty Member

Haven't compared prices for over 12 months but the cheapest for bulk online for many things was http://www.biodistributors.com.au/plist.php .

Dehydrators can be had from aldi cheap about twice a year but if you're reasonably good at DIY could make one yourself but even if you're crap could probably make one from an old fish tank??

11. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

:lol:

12. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

I will be relying on farmers markets, and bartering rice etc etc for spuds and onions.

No room to grow stuff, and cannot be bothered and my black thumb would be a severe handicap.

OC

13. RT

RT New Member

Another item to look at are chamber vacuum sealers, great for buying your food in bulk then breaking it down into smaller mylar bags for storage and Im sure this piece of kit would be a nice earn if things went bad as you could offer a service that not many others could by just vac storing food for others, they provide the food they need stored and you get paid to do it for them.

Best ones Ive come across so far are by www.vacupack.com

You can check them out on youtube also.

14. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The local "farmer" markets to me are merely a dumping ground for the wholesalers much to my anger.

15. RT

RT New Member

As for food, ready made long term shelf life-

Www.preppers2013.com - click on Australia link. Sent domestic from www.essentialfoods.com.au who are the distributors for Wise foods here in Aus/NZ. Shelf life 25yrs.

Also, www.happycampergourmet.com.au , they are confident their foods will last 15-20yrs or more ready to eat.

Im take it from your avatar that you will want some protien powder on hand also or to use for trade, you might already know these companies though.

Www.bulknutrients.com.au

And another one from memory was either in Melbourne or Sydney and I think it was Dan Rodgers Food/s and you can buy bulk 20kg bags unflavoured milk protiens that they supply bakeries and such with. WPI, WPC, dried milk powder etc. (I think that is their name but it has been a few years so sorry if I got it wrong.

Not sure on storage life on milk protiens in mylar though it shouldnt be to hard to find out.

You can get satchels that you place in the bags that remove the last of the oxygen which stops food spoiling from ebay or maybe even the supplier of the machine.

16. SilverBrumby

SilverBrumby Member Silver Stacker

Try the organic farmers markets. Down byron, mullum way they have smaller farms selling direct. Mostly fresh veggies not bulk goods though.

17. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Mylar bags are great for storing rice...A great staple food for long life...Use Oxygen absorbers to extract the air..Then you can store safely for 10years at least. Get about 3kg to a bag, then store them in a 44 gallon drum (cleaned food grade) and then you can store 100kg rice per drum, safe from any vermin..eg. Rats,mice etc... Also before putting the rice into the mylar bags, put the rice in the freezer for 1 day to kill any weavel eggs... Have had some rice stored for 5 years in this way..

Regards Errol 43

18. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

19. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

errol,

"Also before putting the rice into the mylar bags, put the rice in the freezer for 1 day to kill any weavel eggs... Have had some rice stored for 5 years in this way.."

All grains grown outdoors will end up with weevil eggs in them. Freezer storage for at least 4 days is needed to kill them. Even gravy mix must be frozen, as are rolled oats, wheat biscuits, flour, etc.

OC

20. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Honest to goodness is in Sydney. That is where weget ours.
    I can't believe that you would consider importing it boston.