Stock agistment

Discussion in 'Wealth Creation & Management' started by mmm....shiney!, Jul 5, 2017.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone paying for cattle/horse agistment or receiving a rental income from same?

I'd be interested in your thoughts, current rates etc with a view to using our SMSF to purchase property. Maybe this should in the superannuation sub-forum.

I see the going rate for horses ranges from about $30 - $50/week depending upon facilities and cattle about $2/head/week to $6/head depending upon pasture type.

2. mmm....shiney!

Looking at ex-dairy country, kikuyu

3. enzedda

enzedda Member

I used to have a few horses on agistment a few years back. If I were going to lease out pasture nowadays I would stick to cattle. The property you're interested in sounds like its already set up for such, I'm assuming there are loading ramps and holding yards etc.?
    I'm not sure what the going rates are now, but make sure you have a FORMAL lease agreement drawn up stating the terms and conditions. The fencing needs to be in top condition, (most important) if an animal escapes and causes damage, the landowner will be held responsible.
    If you still want horses on there, consider that most owners like to visit regularly and maybe ride too, so if you're happy to have people coming in and out often?? Horse owners are a fickle bunch, some are responsible, while others are less so. A lot of times the fee is never paid when its due, and or the animal is almost neglected or abandoned. Also if they're all running together there is a high possibility of injuries amongst them. Unless you target the more 'wealthy' type that own show horses, but then they usually want private paddocks with shelters/stables. I have been in the equine industry for 30+ years, now retired from it. As I said, stick with the cattle, minimal fuss and low maintenance.

4. mmm....shiney!

Thanks enzedda, I appreciate your reply. If I was to go with horses it would be individual paddocks. I've seen lease agreements on sites such as agistnow, and on the websites of other agistment properties. I guess it would depend on proximity to population centres whether I target horses or cattle, if I go horses, it would be

I'll PM you a little more of my rationale later.

5. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wait till the end of Sep't before buying, there is a storm on the horizon.

Lunardragon likes this.
  6. mmm....shiney!

This is a 7 - 10 year plan.

Care to elaborate on the upcoming storm?

7. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Keep an eye on the property market here in Aus over the next couple of months, could be a few bargains to be had soon.

mmm....shiney! likes this.