Sterling versus 80%

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Boyo, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

I picked up these pre 46 pre-decimal florins a few weeks ago for spot. Lucky me :)

They got me thinking about VALUE. I can never seem to find 1966 round 50s going for spot ...around spot + 15% seems to be the going rate. Can almost guarantee,if I go looking hard enough. I can get these for at least +5%. Not mentioning ebay ...it is a crazy place to gauge fair prices ,but probably reflects broader market expectations.

SO ,my question is. Do Round 50s carry more "clout" in the market? Both have around .1/3 of an ounce..both aussie coinage and thus recognisable to most buyers in the know about silver content.

What is the magic of the 66?

[​IMG]

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1966 is a 50 cent decimal coin. It is only worth fifty cents until you sell it. If you have 100 fifty cent coins, you have $50 on your balance sheet. It is not bullion, it is not predecimal, it is not a numi. It is invisible!

3. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Good point,sammy....better than sending it to the bottom of the lake

4. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not many people seem to be keen on "junk silver".

I think it's the best.

Usually available at close to spot, so you're never going to blow a lot by way of premium.

50's ... maybe they were a "one of a kind" thus retain popularity and therefore premium??

5. nbboy1123

nbboy1123 New Member

I prefer junk myself. Still worth the face value if silver shits the bed AND so much lower in premiums than the bullion coins. Don't get me wrong, they are super beautiful....but the mints are making a fortune with them and anything...ANYTHING sold as a "Collectible" will NEVER be that. You just gotta find a sucker willing to pay that premium later on. :/

6. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

You had to be around in 2011, where junk went for todays spot + $20, with people being proud about their zero premium. :)

7. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't really understand this either, pre florins are purer in silver content, have almost the same ASW but can easily be had for very close to spot.

This is true, but by the same measure 100 florins is worth $20 - better invisibility but lower stop loss

The only other explanation I can come up with to explain the "clout" of the round 50s are that they are one of a kind and most didn't see much circulation.

8. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Florins require an extra step to become $20. Though not demonetised they still need to be converted. You also have 100 florins worth $20, not just plain old $20. Fifty cent pieces are just that fifty cent pieces. Throw in one dodecagonal fifty and you just have $50 in change.

Also, decimal currency is 48 years old. More Australians alive today were not alive before then. They stick with what they know, that is if they even know of the round fifty.