Stagnant and falling wages are here to stay

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by SpacePete, Apr 30, 2015.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sexual innuendo?

2. theFNG

theFNG New Member

Good for you sterling-nz

3. markc

markc Member

^^^ or if they want stability without taking a risk, then they could go and learn some new skills that will lead to a better paying job.

People are just too damn lazy and would rather whinge and wait for someone to bail them out of their sh*t then get up and do something about it.

4. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I understood what u stated and my hats off if u really pay them well above wages.U must be one of the few who does that as most of them wont even hire you if you have more than 10 years experience in a field or wanna hire you but for the same wage as a newcomer with only schoolpaper in the hand(just went thru on this so I know what Im talking about).or you work yr ass off for yr ass boss for years without any raise and respect and all he/she sees that the employee/s complaining.prices on everything are rising all the time why not the wages if deserved.of course everyone wants more.Dont you? you started/took on a business so you need to take care of the incoming competition.that is yr job as a boss/owner(Im sure u complain too-to yr wife,friend or anyone;)

If everyone would open a business who would work for you? Some people just dont wanna deal with it(open a business) or-yes-dont have the courage...but they have the courage(yeah of course be a slave) and experience to offer it to you.and of course you know that yr business will grow eventually and you wont be able to do it alone so u need rely on slaves.there are always exception(I know some of them) who thinks they can do everything alone(be on the job working,order material and run after new job after a hard day work,do the paperwork,etc) but they dont realize what they loose for that worthless fiat.

It is just going back and forth-I dont think one would work without the other.

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not everyone wants to be a millionaire running their own business. That doesn't mean that they have no rights to complain about the amount of work they do and the amount they get paid or how expensive just getting by has become.

Not everyone has time or the funds to learn new skills, and even then, there is no guarantee that they will be able to get a job with them. You are competing against people who have been in the industry for several years and you are hoping to enter the new workforce with no experience but want to be paid at a senior level. Education is the next big bubble, people taking out student loans to upskill when they can't find work only to find that their new qualifications aren't enough either and they are now saddled with even more debt they can't shift.

I spent 18 years working in Blood Transfusion departments before deciding to quit and work in a completely different field. I ended up taking a pay cut but my job is walking distance to my home and I probably won't kill anyone if I make a mistake. I certainly don't want to run my own business, the money might be better but the quality of life would decrease dramatically and my stress levels would shoot through the roof. Cleaning up vomit at 04:00 might make you a decent chunk of cash but if the rest of your life suffers then what is the point? A feeling shared by about half your previous employees, they didn't choose 'not to make some good money' they chose not to have a crap job which disrupted their family life. A lack of money is only one way that a family can be destroyed, there are plenty of others.

So I pay for people to buy new houses for me and I take out loans and I hope that by paying off the loans with money I am making now I will be able to retire and live off the rental returns in the future.

Not wanting to be a millionaire or wanting to run a business, I just want to have a life I can enjoy without the constant fear of being poor.

6. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I blame my plight on NAZI Germany.

7. Jislizard

Well we'll just add that to the list of other bad stuff they done.

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, those kind of toys are a $10-$12 billion dollar industry.

As soon as someone invents a fantastic new technology, someone else immediately sets to work figuring out how to insert it into themselves or insert themselves into it.

As the joke goes: the first photograph ever taken was of the view out of the inventor's window. What do you think he took the second photograph of...?

9. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

His cat?

10. Jislizard

If it was a cat everyone on the internet would know about it.

11. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fun fact*: The third picture ever taken was of an experiment by Franz Reichelt who attached a kitten to a heavier than air flying machine and threw it off the Eiffel Tower to demonstrate the feasibility of flight. His subsequent attempt to demonstrate a flight suit of his own invention did not end well.

[​IMG]

* not actually true.

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You know nothing John Snow!

Unexpectedly shallow perspective RNT next to your other perspectives in this thread.

Not a thanks btw. Retracted.

13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry Julie, which quote do you mean that you disagree with?

14. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Might want to check that spelling...

[​IMG]

15. JulieW

Last one RNT - abusive relationships aren't so simple nor is the attitude 'she can just leave'. Dear friend had to go into hiding after leaving her abusive censored - this word gets our forum blocked(edit: sorry didn't know that! - liked children then) husband (she left when she discovered it - but was blocked by him taking the girls 'on holiday') and for 3 years he had a 'hit' out on her with him and his psycho mates. Trashed one place she moved. She saw them waiting and never returned to another. Ended up interstate with a changed name. Luckily he died of a heart attack at the end of the 3 years so she was saved being murdered.

Nothing personal, I just rise up when the old cliches that 'she was asking for it', 'she must like it', 'she could just leave', are raised with regard to assaults and rapes within marriage and partnerships.

16. Shaddam IV

Understood, I wasn't talking about extreme circumstances like that though, I was wondering out loud whether people often stay in circumstances that make them unhappy (men and women) because because the fear of moving on and facing the unknown outweighs the unhappiness that they are experiencing in their situation (and that can be a relationship with girl or boyfriend, a "best friend", a relative or carer or a work situation where they cop abuse from workmates for example). I was not singling out women as the abused, men languish in abusive circumstances too but don't move on. I never said or implied anything about "she must like it" or "she could just leave", I don't know why people stay in abusive circumstances but I think that at least in the milder cases it could possibly be because of a fear of radical change of circumstance and of the unknown.

17. JulieW

I can be a bit touchy at times sorry.

18. JulieW

Could've been worse, I might have been drunk too!

;)

19. Shaddam IV

No sweat Julie, it's the perils of trying to make a complex point in a couple of lines that leaves things open to a lot of unexpected interpretation.

20. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Well, I'm working full time, running a business on the side that breaks even (early days yet) and do consulting interstate a few times a year. Though I've been acting in higher duties for a year or so, employer just told me I'll be up for promotion when I get back from a trip up north, to be formalised into the role permanently. Makes escaping from wage slavery a bit more difficult to justify. First world problems right?