Stacking PM's from scrap electronics

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by miniroo, Jun 22, 2015.

1. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When I depopulate, yes I use a mask and goggles.
    But generally scrapping stuff out of electronics doesn't expose you to much toxins, it's more the refining side.
    so like Ruthenium in Thick Film Resistors, it's inside the the resistor so you don't get exposed until you actually refine stuff, handling components as they are has nothing toxic.

Obviously if you were scrapping a lot of electronics, like a full time job and indoors, you would want a mask most times.
    But having been to e-waste processing places, I don't see the staff wearing anything.

Some depopulate boards with a heat gun, I don't recommend it because of the fumes it omits.
    But using an air hammer it's just dust so a decent mask is fine.

For me I stack the components for PM recovery, one day when I retire from scrapping I will have a real setup with all the proper equipment, not like the backyarders do using pots and pans and no fume hood, so when i'm ready i'll have enough to justify a full on setup, like a lab.

2. humbolt

humbolt Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

plasma tech seems to be the go now although expensive
    a Physicist mate of mine just got a contract in Belgium to streamline Plasma tech for ewaste (all)
    so its efficient because ATM the cost of running such equipment is prohibitive
    and not very profitable but by the time you retire miniroo the technology should be well proven...
    and in everyday use looks good on paper though i might say ;)
    happy scrappin

3. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

We seem to have a lot more of the scrap yards around our way accepting e-waste now.
    2-3 years ago they were straight forward copper ,brass and steel and lead , now they (most of them) will take circuit boards,memory sticks and cell phones.
    I have been following your thread and it makes for some great reading.
    Hope you keep the posts coming for us:)

4. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorting plugs with gold plated pins really help speed up the process of removing them by doing the same type of plug instead of switching over tools for different plugs.

Cleaning some plugs as you go is another good idea if your stockpiling plugs, some to reduce weight, others to speed things up later.

But for the average scrapper or gold plated bit collector it's probably best to remove the gold pins from plugs as you get them, that way you don't have the extra job of sorting, storing and eventually pulling the pins when your ready to refine.

Sorting gold pins into two categories, partially plated and fully plated may save some time at the refining table but probably not as important as it is to remove as much of non plated metal from the pins so as to save using any more solution then necessary.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017